1. And it was in the fourth year of Darius* the King that the manifestation of the Lord came upon Zechariah, on the fourth [day] of the ninth month, which is the Kanun.*
2. And he was sent to the House of Eil,* to Sharassar and Rabmagg, and he sent the king and his giant [men of war] to [go down on their knees and pray] before the Lord;
3. And to declare to the High Priests of the House of the Almighty Lord and his Prophets,
4. And the manifestation of the Lord was upon me, to say:
5. Say to all the people of the earth and the High Priests that you fasted and danced in mourning* in the fifth month and the seventh month, behold, for seventy years -- was that for me that you fasted?
6. And if you ate and drank -- was it not you that ate and drank?
7. These were the words that the Lord preached by the first prophets when Jerusalem was settled in peace and the towns around her and the mountains and valleys [around her] were settled.
8. And the manifestation of the Lord was upon Zechariah to say,
9. Thus said the Almighty Lord, "Render true Justice;* let every person* be true and kind to his brother.
10. "And to the widow and the orphan and the poor and those that return to me -- do not cheat them and do not oppress them, and let no man contemplate evil in his heart against his brother.
11. "But* they did not wish to hear me, and they made their shoulders bristle,* and they shut their ears so as not to hear.
12. "And they made their heart [hard like the polishing stone*] so as not to hear the Law and the Commandments that the Almighty Lord sent through his Spirit by the hand of the first prophets, and there was a great anger from* the Almighty Lord.
13. "On account of I called them and they did not listen; likewise they shall call on me and I will not hear them," said the Almighty Lord.
14. "And I shall scatter them among all the nations that do not know them, and the land would be left desolate* after them by those that passed through it and by those that settled in it, on account of their making that pleasant land into a ruin.*
*7:1.1 Lit. Aramaic name: "Daryawash."
*7:1.1 Lit. Aramaic name retained: Kanun the First is December, Kanun the Second is January. Therefore, Kanun may have been the ninth month of the Persian year.
*7:2 NB! The only name of the Father, a name that was given to Jacob to use for the first time, a name that Eashoa (Jesus) used from the Cross in his great pronouncement, "Eil, Eil, l'mana shwik-thani."
*7:5.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Writhed."
*7:5.2 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "Why did you fast for me?"
*7:9.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Judge the judgment of rightfulness."
*7:11. Lit. Ar. id.: "Flap their wings," or "turned their shoulders" (as in: "give someone the cold shoulder.")
*7:9.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Human."
*7:12.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Diamond," or "hard as diamond."
*7:12.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "From before."
*7:14.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Depleted."
*7:14.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Spiritually devastated."
Zechariah Index | Aramaic Bible Index