1. Then* I turned and saw a scythe that flies.
2. And he said to me, "What do you see?" And I said, "I saw a scythe that is flying; its length is twenty arm-lengths and its width ten arm-lengths."
3. And he said to me, "This is the curse that comes out upon the face of all the earth, because whoever steals, it is by* her that he is rewarded and whoever swears, it is by* her that he is rewarded."
4. "I released her,"* said the Almighty Lord, "so as to enter the house of the thief and the house of whoever swears falsely by my name, and she shall settle in his house and she shall reduce his timber and his stones."
5. And there emerged the angel who spoke through me, and he said, "Raise your eyes and look, what is this that came out?"
6. And I said, "What is it?" And he said to me, "This is the resulting* measure, and in her there will be [all the derelictions* of duty] of all the earth."
7. And then I took up a talent of lead [for weighing] and there sat a woman* in the scale.
8. And he said to me, "This is that sin." And he threw her into the balance and he threw the talent of lead against her.*
9. And I raised my eyes and I saw, behold, two women coming out and the spirit* in their wings, and they had wings like the wings of the vulture, and she lifted the scales from the earth and into the sky.*
10. And I said to the angel that spoke through me, "Where are they taking the scales?" And he said to me, "To build for her a house in the land of Babylon, and they will find use for her and set her up there, where she will do her weighing."
*5:1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*5:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "From."
*5:3.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "From."
*5:4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Bring her out."
*5:6.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Emerging."
*5:6.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Failures."
*5:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Wife," or "married woman."
*5:8 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Against her mouth."
*5:9.1 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: Or: "Wind."
*5:9.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And she took the scale between the earth to heaven."
Zechariah Index | Bible Index