1. In it, on that Day, a fountain shall spring forth for the House of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, for baptism* and cleansing.
2. "In it, on that Day," said the Almighty Lord, "the names of idols shall disappear from the land, never again shall they be remembered, and the false* prophets and evil spirits shall pass away from the land."
3. And if a man should prophesy again, his father and mother shall tell him, "You shall not live, because you speak lies in the name of the Lord;" and his own father and mother who gave birth to him shall cut* him off when he prophesies.
4. In it, on that Day, the False* Prophets shall be ashamed of the vision of their prophecy, every one* [of them,] and they shall don* the sash of hair on account of their lies.
5. And he shall say, "I am not a prophet except a man who works the earth, and the son of man has made me zealous since my childhood."
6. And they shall say to him, "What are these welts in your hands?" And he shall say, "These are the wounds I received in the house of my in-laws."
7. "The sword shall awaken* over my shepherd and against the man who is merciful* to me," said the Almighty Lord. "It shall strike the shepherd and his sheep shall be scattered, and I shall turn back my hand against those of higher* authority."
8. "And it shall be so in all the earth," said the Lord, "and two of their number in it shall perish and [go] to oblivion, and a third [of their number] shall remain in it."
9. "And I shall refine them as they refine silver and test* them as they test gold; He shall call out my name and I shall answer Him, and He shall declare, 'These are my people,' and He shall declare, 'He is my Lord God.'"*
*13:1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sprinkling."
*13:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lying."
*13:3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Saw him off."
*13:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lying."
*13:4.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Man."
*13:4.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Bind the hair sash."
*13:7.1 Lit. Ar. id. (poetic license): "The sword shall slaughter."
*13:7.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Beloved."
*13:7.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "The responsible authorities."
*13:9.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Test."
*13:9.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Diagnose."
*13:9.3 Lit. Aramaic: "Maryah Allahi," "Lord my God."
Zechariah Index | Bible Index