1. In the eighth month, on the first of the month, in the second year of Darius,* the manifestation of the Lord was upon Zechariah, son of Barkheeiah, son of Addo the Prophet, to declare:
2. The Lord was angered over your ancestors with a great anger.
3. Tell them thus said the Almighty Lord, "Turn back to me said the Almighty Lord." "And He shall return to you,'" said the Lord.
4. Do not be like your ancestors,* to whom the early* prophets preached and said: thus said the Almighty Lord, "Turn back from your evil ways and your evil works." "And they did not hear and they did not respond to me," said the Lord.
5. "Where are they, those ancestors of yours and my prophets; why, did they live to the end of the universe?*
6. "It was according to my manifestation,* then, and my commandments to my servants the prophets that your ancestors remembered and by whom were counseled, saying, 'It was as the Almighty Lord proffered to do for us, it was according to our ways and our predilections that he did to us.'"
7. On the twenty-fourth, on the eleventh of the month of Shebat,* in the second year of Darius, the manifestation of the Lord was upon the Prophet Zechariah, son of Barkhiah, son of Addo, to declare:
8. I saw in the night a man who rode on a red horse and he stood between trees that give shade, and behind him there were red, spotted, and white horses.
9. And I said, "What are they, these, my Lord?" And the angel who spoke through me replied and said, "I will show you what they are."
10. The man who stood between the trees replied and said to me, "These are the ones that the Lord sent to go about the earth."
11. And then there replied the angel of the Lord that stood between the trees, "We walked* the earth and all the earth settled down and became still."
12. Then* the Lord's angel replied and said, "Almighty Lord, until when are you not going to be merciful to Jerusalem and the cities of Judea, which you have been angry at for, behold, seventy years?"
13. And there responded the Lord to the angel who spoke the beautiful words to me and who [uttered] the manifestation of comfort* to me.
14. And the angel who spoke on my behalf* said to me: Preach and say, "Thus said the Almighty Lord, 'I have made a commitment to Jerusalem and Zion,* a great commitment indeed.*
15. "'And I was greatly angered* at the nations that were in turmoil, for I was angered a little, but they helped [that which was] evil.'"*
16. Because of these thus said the Almighty Lord, "I shall return to Jerusalem with our mercies and I shall make* my abode in her," said the Almighty Lord. "And the captives shall be settled* back in Jerusalem."
17. "Preach again and proclaim thus," said the Almighty Lord, "after the cities have been stripped of blessings, the Lord shall again rebuild Zion and He shall again choose Jerusalem."
18. And I raised my eyes and, behold, I saw four horns.
19. And I spoke to the angel who spoke through me, "What are these, my lord?" And he said to me, "These are the horns that scattered Judea, Israel and Jerusalem."
20. And the Lord showed me four carpenters.
21. And I asked, "What have they come to do?" And he said to me, "These are the horns that scattered Judea, like the mouth of the man who did not raise his head -- they* came to shake them and to uproot the horns of the nations [of the world] who would raise a horn against the Land of Judah, as to her scattering."
*1:1 Lit. Aramaic name: "Daryawash." King of Persia.
*1:4.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And do not be like your parents."
*1:4.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "First."
*1:5 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Forever."
*1:6 Lit. Ar. id.: "Oracles."
*1:7 Lit. Aramaic name: "Ish-wat."
*1:11 Lit. Ar. id.: "Went about."
*1:12 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*1:13 Lit. Ar. id.: "Providence."
*1:14.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Through me."
*1:14.2 NB! The sending of His Son Eashoa (Jesus) to Redeem them.
*1:14.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "I have undertaken an obligation for Jerusalem and Zion, a great obligation."
*1:15.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And a great anger I was angered."
*1:15.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "But they went to evil extent."
*1:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Give."
*1:16.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Put on."
Zechariah Index | Bible Index