1. And the fifth angel blew and I saw the star that fell from heaven onto the earth, who was given the key to the fiery abyss.*
2. And he opened the abyss and smoke rose from the abyss, like the smoke of a flaming furnace, and the sun and the atmosphere were darkened from the smoke of the abyss.
3. And from the smoke emerged locusts on the earth, and power* was given to them like scorpions on earth.
4. And they were told neither to blaze the earth's habitation, nor any plant or tree, except to those human beings who do not have the stamp of God on their foreheads*.
5. And it was given [the locusts] not to kill them, except to sting them five months, and their sting [to be] as that of the scorpion when it strikes a man*.
6. And in those days humanity shall seek death and not find it, and they will long to die and death shall flee from them.
7. And the appearance of those locusts ready for battle, and on their heads a wreath that resembles gold, and their faces like the faces of human beings.
8. And they had hair like the hair of women and their teeth were like those of lions.
9. And they had armor like steel armor, and the sound of their wings like the sound of a great many warriors' chariots running to battle.
10. And they had stingers* that resemble those of scorpions, and through poison*,* they have the power to hurt* humanity for five months.
11. And they have a king over them, for the angel of [eternal] hell [fire], whose name in Hebrew [dialect] is Abbadon*, whose name in Greek is Appolyon.
12. That first woe went away, behold, there are two more* woes coming after that.
13. And the sixth angel blew, and I heard a voice from one of the corners* of the golden altar that is before God,
14. That said to the sixth angel, who has the trumpet, "Release the four angels, who are bound to* the great river Euphrates."
15. And the four angels were released, those that were prepared for the hour and day and month and year, so as to kill one third of humanity.
16. And the number of the armed divisions, two million millions, I heard the number.
17. And as I saw the vehicles* in the vision, and those that rode on them, that there were fire throwers* and flammables and explosives, and the heads of the vehicles were like the heads of lions--(and) from their mouths emerged fire and smoke and explosions.
18. And by* the three weapons* they killed one third of the people*, (and) from the fire and the smoke and the explosions, that emerged from their mouths.
19. For the power* of the vehicles is from their mouth and from their tails*, and indeed* their tails resemble serpents that have heads by* which they strike.
20. And the rest* of humanity, those that were not killed by these calamities*, (and) did not repent of the works of their hands, so as not to worship demons and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood, these that* neither can see nor hear.
21. And neither* did they repent from their killings, nor their witchcraft, nor their prostitution, nor their thievery.
9:1*Lit. Ar. id.: "Cavern of hell."
9:3*Lit. Ar. id.: "Authority."
9:4*Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "between their eyes."
9:5*Lit. Ar. id.: "Human [being.]"
9:10*Lit. Ar. id.: "Little tail."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Sting."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And their bite and in their little tail."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Authority to attack."
9:11*Lit. Ar. id.: "A-avdoa," or "[absolute] annihilator."
9:12*Lit. Ar. id.: "Again."
9:13*Lit. Ar. id.: "Horns."
9:14*Lit. Ar. id.: "Over."
9:17*Lit. Ar. id.: "Horses," or "transport."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Releasers."
9:18*Lit. Ar. id.: "From."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Strikes," "plagues."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Human beings."
9:19*Lit. Ar. id.: "Authority."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Little tail."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "For."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "And by."
9:20*Lit. Ar. id.: "Various," "other."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Plagues," "strikes," or "beatings."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "And no."
9:21*Lit. Ar. id.: "And no."
Revelation 10 |
Revelation Index |