1. To the angel of the church of Ephesus, write. These are [the things] the One and Only says, (and) to the seven stars in his right [hand,] he who maintains* the balance* of the seven menorahs of gold.
2. I know of your works, and your labor and your hope*, and that you cannot bear evil-doers, and you counsel those who say of them that [the evil-doers] came as apostles, and they did not come [so,] and [in fact] you found them [to be] liars;
3. And hope, you do possess, and you do accept suffering* for the sake of my name without complaining*.
4. Except I have something on you, because of your love, that original [one,] which you abandoned*.
5. Remember then from where you have fallen, and repent and return to your former works. And if not, I will come upon you quickly and move your menorah from its place, if you do not repent.
6. Except this you have [in your favor,] that you hate the performing of rituals*, which I also [do.]
7. Those who have ears, let them listen to what the Spirit is telling the churches.
To the victor
...I shall give to eat
Of the tree of Life,*
...which is in the paradise of God
That is mine.
8. And to the angel in the church of Smyrna, write. These are [the things] says he who is the First and the Last, the one who was dead and Lives.
9. I know of your works, and the tribulation and poverty, except you have a great treasure* and of the blasphemies of those who say to the others that they are Jews and who are [really] not, except they are followers* of Satan.
10. Do not succumb at all to those from whom you expect persecution.* For, behold, the Devil is prepared to throw some of you in prison* where you will undergo* ten days' tribulation. Be faithful unto death and I shall give you the wreath of Life.
11. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit is telling the churches.
...shall not be defiled
......by the second* death.
12. And to the angel in the church of Pergamon, write: These are [the things] that the One who has the sharpened sword with two edges, says:
13. I know of your works and where you dwell, where there is a throne* for Satan; however, you held fast my name*, and you did not deny* my Faith in those days when my witness appeared, my faithful one, the one you killed, where Satan dwells.
14. Except I have more on you: you have [someone] there who has taken to the teachings of Balaam* that teach Balek*, to provide* excuses before the people of Israel, to eat idol sacrifices and to fornicate.
15. Thus you also have taken to the teaching of rituals. Through them you appear to be pretending,*
16. And if you are not, I will come upon you quickly and will approach them by the sword of my mouth,
17. Whoever has ears listen to what the Spirit is telling the churches.
...shall be nourished
By the hidden manna,
...and shall be given
A white tablet*
...and on the tablet
A new name written,
...that which no one* knows,
Except the One
18. And to the angel of the church of Thyatira, write: These are [the things] the Son of God, who has eyes like flames of fire and whose feet resemble Lebanese copper says,
19. I know of your works and your love and your faith and your commemoration, and also of your hope* and your labors of last that are even greater than before.
20. Except I have [something] on you, because you have allowed that woman of yours Jezebel, the one who says she is a prophetess and teaches and misleads my servants* into fornication and eating of idol sacrifices.
21. And you gave her time* so that she would repent, and she was not pleased to give up her fornicating.
22. Behold, I shall throw her into [sick]bed, and to those who accompany* her [I shall bring] great suffering, unless* they repent from her practices*.
23. And to her children I shall bring death,* and all churches shall know that I am the guardian of hearts and souls* who* gives each one of you according to your deeds.
24. But to you I say: to those others that are in Thyatira, all those that do not [hold] to these teachings, those people* that do not know the depths of Satanic [deception,*] like they claim: I shall not burden you any further.*
25. Hold fast through the knowledge that you possess until I come.*
26. And the victor
...and the protector,
Of my works
...to the very end,
Shall have authority
...over the nations.
27. And I shall shepherd them
...with a rod of steel,
And like a clay plate
...scatter out [your pieces,]
Just as I was commissioned
...by my Father [,] *
28. And received the morning star.
29. ...Whoever has ears,
Listen to what the Spirit
...tells the churches.
2:1*Lit. Ar. id.: "Walks."
*Or: walks among.
2:2*Lit. Ar. id.: [Faithful] anticipation."
2:3*Lit. Ar. id.: "The burden."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "And you do not lament."
2:4*Lit. Ar. id.: "Left."
2:6*In Aramaic: "Niaqleidto."
2:7*Lit. Ar. id.: "Wood of lives," or "the living wood." Or: fruit.
2:9*Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "A great deal."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "The synagogue."
2:10*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Not a thing [fear you] by those you expect to be saddened."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "House of custody."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Experience and have."
2:40*Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Recurring."
2:12*Lit. Ar. id.: "Chair."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And took you by my name."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Blaspheme against."
2:14*Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Of the past."
*Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Contradictions."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Throw."
2:15*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "By through their appearance becoming."
2:17*Lit. Ar. id.: "List."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Human."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Plants."
2:19*Lit. Ar. id.: "Faithful anticipation."
2:20*Lit. Ar. id.: "Slaves."
2:21*Lit. Ar. id.: "Season."
2:22*Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Drag themselves with her."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "If not."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Works."
2:23*Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Kill by death."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Kidneys and hearts."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
2:24*Lit. Ar. id.: "Humans."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Depths of Satan."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "I will not throw you more burden."
2:25*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "The understanding that which you have, unite [through it] until I come [back.]"
2:27*Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "With respect to my Father," or, as figure of speech, "planted" or "consecrated."
Revelation Chapter 3 | Revelation Index | Supporters Index