1. And a great sign* was seen in heaven,
...a woman adorned* with the sun,
And the moon under her feet,
...and on her head a wreath
......with twelve stars.
2. And as she is [with child,*]
...she cries out and [undergoes]
......the throes of childbirth.
3. And another sign is seen in heaven,
...and behold, a dragon of the great fire,
That has seven heads and ten horns,
...and on its head seven crowns.
4. And its tail dragged one third
...of the stars of heaven
......and threw them on earth,
And that dragon
...stood before the woman,
Who was prepared to give birth,
...so that when she gave birth,
......it would eat her child.
5. And she gave birth to a male heir,
...who was destined to shepherd
......all the nations
By the rod of steel,
...and her boy was whisked*
......to be with God,
By his throne.
6. And that woman
...ran to the wilderness,
......where she had a place,
That was set by God,
...where she would be taken care of*
One thousand and two hundred
...and sixty days.
7. And there was a battle in heaven
...and Michael and his angels
......fought the dragon,
And the dragon and his angels
8. And they could neither [fight back,]
...and nor could they regain*
......their place in heaven.
9. (And) cast [out] was that great dragon,
...that ancient serpent,
That is called
...the outcast [maker] and Satan,
That leads the entire world to oblivion--
...cast [down] over the earth,
And his angels together with him,
...were cast [out.]
10. And I heard a great voice in heaven that said,
"Now is established* the Salvation
...and the Power and the Kingdom
......of our God;
And the authority of his Anointed One,
...for cast [down] is the false accuser
......of our brothers,
Who [thus] accused them
...before our God, day and night.
11. "And those who were victorious,
......because of the blood of the Lamb,
And through* the manifestation
...of their testimony,
As they did not love themselves to death,*
12. "For this, rejoice, [O] heaven
...and those who inhabit therein.
Woe to the earth and sea,
...for the Destroyer* has descended
Who has a great anger
...as he knows
......that his season is short*."
13. And as the dragon saw that he was cast upon the earth, he ejected the woman who had given birth to the Son.
14. And the woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she would fly to the wilderness to her place, where she would be taken care of there for the time and times, and half the time [away] from the face of the serpent.*
15. And the serpent poured* from its mouth waters like a river after that woman, so as to drown her in the river.*
16. And the earth was merciful* to the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed the river that was poured out by the dragon from its mouth.
17. And the dragon was angry with the woman, and went to do battle with the rest of her offspring, those that observed the commandments of God and who possessed the testimony of Jesus.
12:1*Lit. Ar. id.: "Miracle."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Clothed."
12:2*Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "She has in her belly."
12:5*Lit. Ar. id.: "Plucked," or taken.
12:6*Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "[Fully] fed."
12:7*Lit. Ar. id.: Or: prevail.
12:8*Lit. Ar. id.: "Find."
12:10*Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Become."
12:11*Lit. Ar. id.: "Because."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And not love their own breath [of life] until death."
12:12*Lit. Ar. id.: "Thrower." Or: Oblivionator.
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Short."
12:14*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction retained. Or: she would be taken care of the duration, except for half the time, when she would be exposed to the serpent.
12:15*Lit. Ar. id.: "Threw."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "So as to her taken by the river he would [make] her disappear."
12:16*Lit. Ar. id.: "Charitable."
Revelation chapter 13 |
Revelation Index |