Testament of Matthew
1. "Do not judge, so as not to be judged.
"For by the judgment that you judge, you shall be judged,
And by the measure that you measure, you shall be measured.
3. "Why do you see the straw in your brother's eye,
and the beam that is before* your eye you do not notice*?
4. "Otherwise, how can you tell your brother,
'Let me take the straw out of your eye,'
and, behold, the beam in [front of] your eye?
5. "Hypocrites*, first, clear the beam from your eyes,
and then it will be clear for you
to take out the straw from your brother's eye.
6. "Do not give what is blessed to dogs,
and do not throw your pearls before swine,
lest they trample on them with their feet,
and turn back and rend you.
7. "Ask and it shall be given to you,
seek and you will find.
Knock and it shall be opened to you.
8. "For whoever asks, receives*,
and [whoever] seeks, finds.
And whoever knocks, it is opened to them.
9. "Or which man among you, when his son asks him for bread,
why, does he hand him a rock?
10. "Or asks him for a fish, why, does he hand him a snake?
11. "And if so, you who are wicked,
know the performance of good deeds toward* your children,
how much more your father in heaven shall bless*
those who ask him?
12. "Whatever you wish that human beings do for you,
likewise you also do for them,
for this is 'the Law and the Prophets.'
13. "Enter through the narrow door, for* wide is the door,
and broad is the path that leads to oblivion,
and numerous are those who go that way.*
14. But it is the constricting door and the narrow path
that lead to life everlasting,
and few are those that find it.
15. "Beware of false prophets that come to you in sheep's clothing,
but from inside they are ravenous wolves.
16. "By their fruit you will know them.
Why, do they pluck grapes from wild brush,
or figs from thorn bushes?
17. "Thus every good tree brings forth beautiful fruit.
The bad tree brings bad fruit.
18. "Neither a good tree can bear bad fruit,
nor a bad tree can bear good fruit.
19. "Any tree that does not bring forth good fruit,
is cut down and burned*.
20. "Therefore, from their fruit you will know them.
21. "It is not whoever says to me, 'My Lord, my Lord,'
who enters the Kingdom of Heaven,
except whoever does the will of my Father in Heaven.
22. "Many will say to me on that day,
'My Lord, my Lord, did we not prophesy in your name
and in your name cast out demons
and in your name perform great powers?'
23. "And then I will declare to them that, I never knew you,
go away from me, workers of abomination.
24. "Whoever thus listens to these words of mine and performs them,
will resemble the wise man who built his house on the rock.
"And the rain came down and the floods* came
and the winds blew and drove against that house
and [the house] did not fall,
for its foundation was placed on rock.
26. "And whoever listens to these words of mine
and does not perform them,
resembles the foolish man who builds his house on sand,
27. "And the rains came down and the floods came down
and the winds blew and drove against the house
and [the house] fell down and its fall was great."
28. And as Jesus concluded these [teachings,] the crowds were amazed over his knowledge.
29. For he taught them like someone with authority and not like their scribes or the Pharisees.
*7:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "By."
*7:3.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Gaze at."
*7:5 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Half faces," or two-faced.
*7:8 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Is set."
*7:11.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "To give to."
*7:11.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Proffer goodness."
*7:13.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "That wide."
*7:13.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "That go by it."
*7:19 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "And into the fire falls."
*7:25 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Rivers came."
Go to Matthew 8
Return to index page