Testament of Matthew
1. Then in the evening of the week when Sunday was coming to an end,* there came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary, to see the tomb.
2. And, behold, there was a great earthquake, for the angel of the Lord came down from heaven and approached, rolled off the stone from the tomb and sat on [the stone.]
3. His appearance was like lightening and his clothing were white as snow.
4. And from fear of him, those who guarded [the tomb] were shaken and they became like dead.
5. The angel replied and said to the women, "Do not be afraid. I know that you are seeking Jesus who was crucified.
6. "He is not here, for He has risen just as He said. Come and see the place where the Lord was consecrated.
7. "And go quickly and tell His disciples that He has risen from the dead and, behold, He is ahead of you in Galilee, where you will see Him. Behold, tell the others."
8. And they went quickly from the tomb, in fear and great joy and they ran to tell his disciples.
9. And, behold, Jesus accosted them and told them, "Peace be unto you." They approached, hugged him and worshipped him.
10. Then Jesus told them, "Do not be afraid, except go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee and there they will see me."
11. However, as they left, some of the security guards came to the city and told the chief high priests everything that happened.
12. And they gathered with the priests, and they conspired, and they gave not a small amount of money to the security guards,
13. And they told them, "Say that his disciples came in the night and stole him while we were asleep.
14. "And if this is heard by the judge, we will pacify him, and we will hold you blameless."
15. Those who received the money, did as they were instructed, and this manifestation went out among the Jews until this day.
16. Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had promised them to be.
17. And when they saw him, they worshipped him. However, some of them had mixed feelings.*
18. And Jesus came near and spoke to them, and told them, "All power in heaven and earth has been given to me, and where my father sent me, I too send you.
19. "Go therefore teach all the nations,* and baptize them in the name of the Father and the Son and the holy Spirit,
20. "And teach them to observe everything I commanded you, and behold I am with you all the days, until the end of the universe, amen."
*28:1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Sunday was setting."
*28:17 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Were [divided] in half."
*28:19 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Go thus, make disciples of all nations."
April 5th, 1998
translated by Victor Alexander ©1998
Go to Matthew index page
Return to Bible index