Testament of Matthew
1. Then Jesus spoke with the crowds and his disciples,
2. And he told them, "The scribes and Pharisees sit on the seat of Moses.
3. "Whatever thus they tell you to observe, observe and do it; however, do not do according to what they do. For they say it but do not do it.
4. "And they tie heavy cargo and place it on the shoulders of human beings, they who do not wish to touch those things even with their finger.
5. "And all their deeds are performed so as they may be seen by humanity. For they widen their pleats and lengthen the knots of their tassels,
6. "And they love* [to sit at] the head of the table at supper time and at the head of councils in synagogues,
7. "And [they love being wished] 'Peace' at market places and called 'Master'* by people.*
8. "You, however, call no one 'Master,' for One is your Master, you are all brothers.
9. "And 'Father,' call no one on earth, for One is your Father in heaven.
10. "And call no one [absolute] 'Leader,' because One is your Leader, the Messiah.
11. "Whoever is greatest among you, let him be a minister for you.
12. "For whoever raises his stature,* becomes humble, and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
13. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, who swallow the houses of widows, for the sake of extending your prayers. Because of this you will receive a greater judgment.
14. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites. That you have shut out the Kingdom of heaven for humanity. For you do not enter yourselves, and those who would enter, you do not allow them to enter.
15. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites. That you circle the sea and dry land to make someone a hero, and when it happens, you relegate him to Gehenna twice as fast as yourselves.*
16. "Woe to you, blind rescuers, who say that whoever swears by the temple, it is nothing, but whoever swears by the gold of the temple is obligated.
17. "O, ignorant and blind [individuals,] for which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold?
18. "And [you say,] that whoever swears by the altar, it is nothing, but whoever swears by the offering on it is obligated.
19. "O, ignorant and blinded [individuals,] which is greater, the offering or the altar that sanctifies the offering?
20. "Whoever swears thus by the altar, swears by it and by everything that is on it.
21. "And whoever swears by the temple, swears by it and by Whom dwells in it.
22. "And whoever swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by the One who sits on it.
23. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites. That you tithe with mint and dill and cummin, and have left out weightier issues of Law, Judgment, Grace and Faith. These that were your duty to perform and not neglect.
24. "Blind rescuers, that filter down the bugs and swallow the camels.
25. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, that you cleanse the outside of the cup and saucer, however, inside you are full of blasphemy and abomination.
26. "Blinded Pharisees, first cleanse the inside of the cup and saucer, so that the outside is also clean.
27. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, that resemble decorated tombs, from the outside looking beautiful, but on the inside full of bones of the dead and corruption.
28. "You also appear such to humanity from the outside, like you are righteous, and on the inside you are full of abomination and hypocrisy.
29. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, that you build the tombs of the prophets and memorialize the tombs of the righteous.
30. "And you say that even if we lived in the days of our forefathers, we would have not participated in shedding the blood of the prophets.
31. "Therefore, you testify against yourselves, that you are the children of those who killed the prophets.
32. "You too measure up to your forefathers' [potential.]
33. "O, serpents, offspring of vipers, how will you run from the judgment of Gehenna?
34. "Because of this, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes. Some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and exile them from town to town.
35. "Thus you shall be guilty of all the righteous blood that was spilt on earth, from the blood of Abel the righteous to the blood of Zechariah the blessed*, whom you killed between the temple and the altar.
36. "Amen, I am telling you, that all these things shall befall this generation.
37. "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killer of prophets and stoner of those sent to her as apostles, how many times* I wished to gather your children, as the hen gathers its chicks under its wings, but you did not want it.
38. "Behold, your house will be left for you in ruins.
39. "For I am telling you, you will not see me from now until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.' "
*23:6 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Have compassion for."
*23:7.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Rabbi."
*23:7.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "From the human [being.]"
*23:12 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Raises himself."
*23:15 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "One more layer over yourselves."
*23:35 Lit. Ar. id.: "Bar Bre-chiah."
*23:37 Lit. Ar. id.: "Seasons."
Go to Matthew 24
Return to index page