Testament of Matthew
1. And there came to him the Pharisees and the Sadducees, testing him, and asking him to show them a sign from heaven.
2. However, he replied and told them, "When evening comes,* you say that it is going to be sunny [tomorrow,] for the sky has turned red.
3. "And at dawn, you say, 'This is a wintry day, for the sky is light* red.' Hypocrites, you know how to discern the outlook of weather,* but the signs of this Age you are not able to discern.
4. "An evil and adulterous generation wants a sign and no sign shall be given it, except for the sign of Jonah the Prophet." And he left them and went away.
5. And as his disciples came to pass, they sought to partake of bread with them.*
6. He told them, however, "Look, be careful of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees."
7. However, they thought to themselves and said that we did not partake* of bread with them.
8. However, Jesus knew [what they were thinking,] and said to them, "Why are you thinking to yourselves, O, little of faith, because you took no bread?
9. "You have not learned until now? Do you not recall the five breads that [fed] the five thousand, and how many heaps you gathered?
10. "And do you not [recall] the seven breads that [fed] the four thousand, and how many baskets you gathered?
11. "How is it you did not understand that it was not about the bread that I was talking to you, except that you should be careful of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees?"
12. Then they understood that he was not telling them to be careful of the leaven of the bread, but the knowledge of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.
13. And as Jesus came to the country of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples and said, "What do they say about me being the Son of Man?"*
14. They said then, "Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah and others say, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets."
15. He said to them, "You, however, who do you say that I am?"
16. Replied Simon the Rock [Peter] and said, "You are the Anointed One,* Son of the Living God."
17. Jesus replied and told him, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Yoanah*, that flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, except my Father in heaven.
18. I am also telling you that you are the Rock [Peter] and on this rock I am building my Church, and the doors of sheol cannot draw* it in.
19. "To you I give the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, and whatever you bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven and whatever you undo on earth, shall be undone in heaven."
20. Then he instructed his disciples not to tell any human being that he was the Anointed One.
21. And from then on Jesus began to show his disciples that he was destined to go to Jerusalem and receive great sorrow from the priests and the high priests and scribes, and be killed, and in the third day to be resurrected.
22. And Keepa [Peter] took him aside* and began yelling at him and saying, "Perish the thought,* that such a thing should befall you!"
23. However, he replied and said to Keepa [Peter,] "Get behind me, Satan, you are a stumbling block, you have no regard for [the word of] God, except [the opinion of] human beings."
24. Then Jesus said to his disciples,
"Whoever wishes to follow me,
...curse your being and pick up your cross and follow me.
25. "For whoever is enthralled* with his life, shall lose it,
...and whoever loses his life for my sake, shall find it.
26. "For what kind of thrill is it for a human being,
...if he gains the whole world yet loses himself,
Or what then does a human being receive in exchange for his life?
27. "For the Son of Man was destined
...to come in the Glory of His Father with His holy Angels,
And then repay every human being according to their deeds.
28. "Amen, I am telling you,
...that here are those human beings who rise again,
That do not taste death until they see the Son of Man
...who comes in his Kingdom."
*16:2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "When it becomes evening."
*16:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Cloudy red," or overcast.
*16:3.2 Lit. Ar. expression: "The face of the sky."
*16:5 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Consecrate bread with them."
*16:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Consecrate."
*16:13 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction retained: "To whom do they compare my human nature?"
*16:16 Lit. Ar. name retained: "The Messiah" or "Christ."
*16:17 Lit. Ar. name retained: "The Dove," symbol of the holy Spirit.
*16:18 Lit. Ar. id.: "Overpower it."
*16:22.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Fetched him."
*16:22.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Cut [away] from you."
*16:25 Lit. Ar. expression:"Livens his/her soul"
Go to Matthew 17
Return to index page