Testament of Matthew
1. And he called his twelve disciples, and he gave them authority to cast out evil spirits and to heal every affliction and illness.
2. He gave it to them, the twelve apostles whose names are these. First Simon, who is called the Keepa [Peter,] and Andrew his brother. And James, son of Zebedee and John his brother.
3. And Philip and Bartholomew and Thomas and Matthew the treasurer, and Jacob, son of Alphaeus, and Levi, who is called Thadeus,
4. And Simon the Caananite and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.
5. These twelve Jesus sent out and he ordered them, saying, "Do not follow the way of heathens, and do not enter Samaritan towns.
6. "However, go more to the lost sheep of Israel.
7. "And when you go, preach and say that the Kingdom of Heaven is approaching.
8. "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers and cast out demons: freely you received, freely give.
9. "Do not take gold or silver or bronze in your purses.
10. "And do not [take] a jar for the trip and a pair of shirts [or extra] sandals and neither a staff, for the laborer deserves his keep.
11. "However, whatever town or village you enter, ask who is worthy in it, and stay there until you leave.
12. "And when you enter the house, ask for peace of that house.
13. "And if the house is worthy, your peace will be upon it. However, if it is not worthy, your peace will return to you.
14. "Whoever does not receive you, however, or does not listen to your words, as you leave that house or town, shake the dust off your feet.
15. "And amen, I am telling you, it will be easier for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on Judgment Day rather than for that town.
16. "Behold, I am sending you as sheep among wolves. Be wise as serpents and pure as doves.
17. "However, be careful of certain people,* for they will betray you to the courts, and they will torment you in their synagogues,
18. "And they will submit you before governors and kings because of me, for their testimony and that of the nations.
19. "However, when they betray you, do not wonder how or what you will say, for it shall be given to you in that hour what you will say.
20. "For it is not you who will be speaking, except the Spirit of your Father that speaks through you.
21. "Brother will betray brother unto death then, and father his son, and children will rise against their parents, and will kill them.
22. "And you will be hated by every human being because of my name. Those who believe* until the end, shall Live.
23. "When they reject you in one town, run to another. For, amen, I am telling you, the towns of the house of Israel will not all submit until the Son of Man comes.
24. "No disciple is greater than his master, and no servant than his lord.
25. "It fulfills the disciple to become like his master and the servant like his lord. If they call the master of the house Beelzavow, so much so the children of the house.
26. "Do not be so afraid of them, for there is nothing secret, that is not revealed and nothing hidden, that will not become known.
27. "What I tell you in the dark, tell it in the light. And what you hear in your ears, preach it from the rooftops.
28. "And do not be afraid of those who kill the body, but cannot kill the soul. However, fear more the one who destroys the soul and the body in hell.
29. "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And yet not one of them without the knowledge of your Father would drop to the ground.
30. "However, as for you, even the hairs of your head are all numbered.
31. "Do not be so afraid then. You are worth a lot more than sparrows.
32. "Thus whoever acknowledges me before humanity, I shall acknowledge them before my Father who is in Heaven.
33. "Whoever blasphemes against me before humanity, I shall deny them before my Father who is in Heaven.
34. "Do not expect that I have come to spread* peace over the earth. I did not come to spread peace, except destruction.
35. "For I came to turn* the man against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against the mother-in-law.
36. "And the enemies of the man [will be] the children in his house.
37. "Whoever values* father and mother more than me, is no use to me,* and whoever values son and daughter more than me, is not worthy of me.
38. "And whoever does not bear his cross and follow me, is not worthy of me.
39. "Whoever seeks himself, loses himself, and whoever loses himself because of me, finds himself.
40. "Whoever receives you, receives me. And whoever receives me, receives the One who sent me.
41. "Whoever receives a prophet in the name of a prophet, receives a prophet's recompense, and whoever receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man receives a righteous man's recompense.
42. "And whoever gives one of these small ones, who go by the name of disciple, a cup of water to drink, though it is only cold water, amen I am telling you, their recompense shall not be lost."
*10:17 Lit. Ar. expression: "Be aware of people."
*10:22 Lit. Ar. id.: "Maintain hope."
*10:34 Lit. Ar. id.: "Cast."
*10:35 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Divide ... over."
*10:37.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Is merciful for."
*10:37.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Is not worthy of me."
Go to Matthew 11
Return to index page