1. "Behold, I shall send my angel* and he shall dry* out the path before me, and out of the calm he shall come to the Lord's temple, that which you hold on to and the resurrecting angel* that you yearn for, behold, he shall come," said the Almighty Lord.
2. Who can predict* the Day in which he comes?* Or who can reveal it before he actually comes? Because he is like the fire that purifies and like the sulfide that whitens.
3. He shall then return to forge and purify* like silver, and he shall purify* the sons of Levi, and he shall choose them like gold and silver, and they shall be offering the sacrifices* to the Lord in righteousness.
4. And the offering of Judah and Jerusalem shall be [once again] acceptable* to the Lord, as of the Days of Eternity* and as the years of old.*
5. "And I shall bring judgment to bear* against you and I shall be a swift witness against sorcerers, adulterers, and those that swear by lies, and those who rob* the wages of the hired hand and the immigrant,* of the orphan and the widow, and they go down against those who turn to me, and they are not afraid of me," said the Almighty Lord.
6. "For it is I* who is the Lord and I do not change, and you are the Children of Jacob that do not cease* their abomination.
7. "From the days of your ancestors* you have strayed from my commandments and you have not heeded them; [therefore,] return to me and I shall return to you," said the Almighty Lord. "And if you ask, 'How shall we return?'"*
8. "Why, does man exploit God as you have exploited me? And if you say, 'How have we exploited you?' In tithing and in first fruits.
9. "By curses you are cursed, and to me you are exploiting.
10. "All the nation brings its tithes into my stores and there is food in my house, and they test me with this," said the Almighty Lord, "and I open a window for you in heaven and shower you with blessings until you say, 'this is more than enough.'
11. "And I shall cry out against the pestilence so as it may not destroy the fruit of the earth, and not one of the earth's vines shall be ruined," said the Almighty Lord.
12. "And all the nations shall glorify you, as you will become the land of my desire," said the Almighty Lord.
13. "Your words [weigh] heavily on me," said the Lord. "And if you say, 'What did we say against you?'
14. "You said, 'It is in vain working for the Lord, and what wealth did we gain by guarding his treasures* and walking meekly before the Almighty Lord?'
15. "'And henceforth are we to give blessings towards the abominable, and the sinners* will restore* us, and we are to tempt* God and he will [still] deliver us?'"
16. Thus they spoke, those who feared the Lord, each man saying [thus] to his companion; and the Lord listened and heard, and he wrote in the Scrolls of the Offerings* before him, [he wrote] regarding those who feared him and regarding those who glorified his name.*
17. "And they shall be mine," said the Almighty Lord, "on the Day that I make up the Congregation* and I shall embrace* them, as the man embraces the son who works for him.
18. "And you shall turn back and see [the difference] between the righteous and the abominable, between those that worked for God and those that did not."*
*3:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Also: "Messenger."
*3:1.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Rub out," or "lay out."
*3:1.3 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Messenger ..." or "Angel of the Covenant."
*3:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "[Preach] the Hope."
*3:2.2 NB! Prophecy regarding the Coming of Eashoa (Jesus).
*3:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Cleanse."
*3:3.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Cleanse."
*3:3.3 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Offerings."
*3:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Healing," or "pleasing."
*3:4.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "The days that from the universe."
*3:4.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "From old," or "from before."
*3:5.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Near."
*3:5.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Exploit."
*3:5.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Settler."
*3:6.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic: "In-nah-nah Mar-yah," or "I am I, the Lord."
*3:6.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Pass from..."
*3:7.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Also: "Parents."
*3:7.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "By what shall we return?" or "how shall we turn back?"
*3:14 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Guarding his guardeds."
*3:15.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Performers of sin."
*3:15.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Build."
*3:15.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Test."
*3:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Scriptures of Memorial Offerings."
*3:16.2 NB! These are the two types of faith: those who worship out of fear and those who worship by glorifying the Lord out of a desire to honor him and out of love.
*3:17.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Assembly."
*3:17.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Stick to."
*3:18 NB! Prophesy regarding those who followed Eashoa (Jesus), like the Disciples, the Apostles, and the early Churches, when Eashoa (Jesus) came to the World.
Malachi Index | Aramaic