1. Thus this commandment is meant for you, high priests,
2. "If you do not listen and if you do no put* it in your hearts to honor* my name," said the Almighty Lord, "I shall send against you curses, and there shall be cursed your blessings, for you will not have put it in your hearts to do so."
3. "Behold, I rebuked the offspring of the earth, and I shall cast dust* upon your faces and ashes* upon your holidays, and carry you with them.*
4. "So* that you shall know that I sent this commandment, so as it shall become my testament for Levi,"* said the Almighty Lord.
5. "My covenant* was with him, I gave him the life everlasting* and peace, as for fear, he did fear me,* and on account* of my name he did tremble.*
6. "The Law of Righteousness* was his on his mouth and no abomination could be found on his lips;* he walked in peace and wholesomeness with me, while many walked with abomination.
7. "Because the lips of the high priest are to protect the knowledge, and they are supposed to ask about the Law from his mouth, for he is the messenger* of the Almighty Lord.
8. "You, however, strayed from the path and misled* many from the Law and twisted Levi's Covenant," said the Almighty Lord.
9. "Also I gave you to be scorned and humbled among every nation, on account you did not [guard and] protect your ways and you made differences between people* in the Law."
10. Why, did we not all have the same Father? Or was it not one God who creates all? Why does a man lie about his brother and defile the covenant of our ancestors?
11. Judah has lied and he has brought defilement into Israel and Jerusalem, because Judah defiled that which was made hallowed for him by the Almighty Lord; [Judah] was kind to and worked for foreign gods.
12. The Lord shall wipe* out the man who does this, his son, and his son's son from the Tabernacle of Jacob, and he shall have no one to offer the sacrifices* to the Almighty Lord.
13. And this offering that you do, covering the house of the Lord with tears, weeping and sighing, because he did not come back for your offerings and did not receive that which was acceptable from your hands.
14. And if you say, "On account of what?" On account of the Lord has testified between you, the wife of your youth, regarding whom you lied, and she was your partaker and the wife of covenant.
15. Why, then, was it not one [person] who gets married? And the rest of the spirits* are his, though he wanted one offspring from God? Therefore, be cognizant in your spirits,* let no man* lie regarding the wife of his youth.
16. Thus has said the Lord, the Almighty God of Israel. "And the abominable cannot be covered up through its own scraping," said the Almighty Lord.
17. You have [aroused] the passion of the Lord through your manifestations and if you say, "How have we [aroused] his passion?" It is by your saying that whoever has done badly,* has done well in the eyes of the Lord, and it is by them that he is satisfied -- and if [it is not so,] where is the God who renders justice?"*
*2:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Consecrate."
*2:2.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "To give honor."
*2:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sawdust," or "ashes."
*2:3.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sawdust," or "dust."
*2:3.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "... and take you with it."
*2:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*2:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Covenant with Levi."
*2:5.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Standing."
*2:5.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Life."
*2:5.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Submission he submitted to me."
*2:5.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Before."
*2:5.5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Quake," or "move."
*2:6.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Moral uprightness."
*2:6.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "In his mouth."
*2:7 Lit. Ar. id.: Also: "Angel."
*2:8 Lit. Ar. id.: "Made them stumble."
*2:9 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Put in according to faces."
*2:12.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "[Make] extant."
*2:12.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Offerings."
*2:15.1 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Souls," or the other children born to him.
*2:15.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Souls."
*2:15.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Human."
*2:17.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Worldly success.
*2:17.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And if not where is the God that judges the judgment?"
Malachi Index | Aramaic Bible Index