1. Who, then, made my head a source of waters,* and my eyes a well of tears? So that then I may weep day and night over the murdered of my People's Daughter.
2. Who, then, shall leave me in the wilderness among those who house the travelers* on the road?* So I could leave my people and go from them, because they are all adulterers and the gathering* of liars.
3. "And they sapped their tongues like their bows, through flattery and not through faith they set their roots in the land,* because they came out of one evil to go to another,* but to me they did not know," said the Lord.
4. A man shall beware of his friend, for you cannot rely on any brother, because every brother can be treacherous, and every relative shall walk treacherously.*
5. And a man lies about his friend, they do not tell the wholesome truth, for they have taught their tongues to speak flattery; they are [always] in turmoil and complaining.*
6. "They are accustomed* to treachery, and through their treachery they have no wish to know me," said the Lord.
7. Because of that this is what the Almighty Lord said, "Behold, I shall refine their intuition, because what else can I do before my People's Daughter?*
8. "Like an arrow their tongues are sharp,* they speak treacherously; with his mouth a man speaks peacefully, but inside of himself he is raging like a fire.*
9. "Over [such as] these shall I not assert* myself?" said the Lord.
And over such a nation* shall not my soul strike* down?
10. "Take up crying and wailing over the mountains, and over the abbeys of the wilderness' lamentations, that are bereft of men passing through; they hear no sound of herds, none, from [the sound of] the birds of the sky to the cattle -- they have all scattered and gone.
11. "And they shall turn Jerusalem into a ruin and the habitation of jackals, and the towns of Judea shall be laid to waste, with no settlers [left in them.]
12. "Who is the wise giant who can understand this? Who is [the one] whom the Lord has given the mouth to explain* it? Wherefore did he make the earth, only to turn* it into a wilderness with no one to cross it?"
13. "On account of they abandoned my Law, which I had given them and their ancestors, and they did not hear my voice, nor did they follow it.
14. "And they proceeded according to the desires of their evil hearts and the ideas that their ancestors taught them.*
15. "Because of that this is what the Almighty Lord, the God of Israel, said, 'Behold, I shall feed this nation leftovers and I shall give them bitter waters to drink.'
16. "And I shall scatter them through the nations that neither they nor their ancestors knew, and I shall send after them the sword* until I have disciplined them."
17. Thus said the Lord, "Call the wailers* that they may come, and send for the wise [women] that they may come.
18. "So that they may hurry and take up for us the wailing, that tears may fall from our eyes and our cheeks flow with waters."
19. Because the voice of wailing shall be heard from Zion, saying, "How have we been plundered! We have truly been put to shame,* because we have left the land and our houses have fallen."
20. Because of that the women listened to the manifestation* of the Lord, and your ears accepted the Manifestation of His Mouth," and teach your daughters the lamentation," and [let every] woman teach her companion their essence.
21. For death is at our windows* and upon our mansions, it has taken* the child from the streets and the young ones from the outdoors.
22. For thus said the Lord, "The bodies* of humanity* shall be like manure upon the face* of the field, and like the grass* after the harvester, but there will be no one to gather."*
23. Thus said the Lord, "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom, let not the giant boast of his might, and let not the rich man boast of his wealth.
24. "Except by this let the one who boasts exalt himself: let the one who acquires knowledge come to know me, that it is I who am* the Lord, the one who brings goodness,* justice and righteousness to the world* -- it is by these that I am pleased," said the Lord.
25. "Behold, there shall come days when I shall command everyone who has circumcised their un-circumcision,
26. "Over the Egyptians, the Judeans, the Edomites; those of Ammon, Moab, and over everyone that shave their face, who inhabit the wilderness, because all the nations are uncircumcised in their flesh and all the House of Israel are uncircumcised in their heart.
*9:1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Who then gave my head waters?"
*9:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Conductors."
*9:2.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction retained: "Who, then, shall leave me in the wilderness in the lodgings of wayfarers?"
*9:2.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Synagogue."
*9:3.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "They strengthened in the earth."
*9:3.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "From evil to evil they emerged."
*9:4 NB! The Catholic version, The New American Bible, injects the name "Jacob the Supplanter" into this passage, and adds the footnote that Jacob stole Esau's birthright. There is absolutely no basis for this insertion in the Scriptures.
*9:5 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Whip and lament."
*9:6 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "They are settled within treachery."
*9:7 Reference to Mary the Mother of the Lord.
*9:8.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Toothy."
*9:8.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Hotly hot."
*9:9.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Command," or "invite."
*9:9.2 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "people."
*9:9.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Spike."
*9:12.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Filled his mouth."
*9:12.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Clear it."
*9:14 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And they went after the wishes of their hearts and after the thinking that their parents taught them."
*9:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "war."
*9:16.2 NB! All the other translations have distorted this word and this entire passage to say that God was to destroy the Jewish people. It is the height of racism and a typical falsification in the Western Bibles.
*9:17 (Original Aramaic retained.) Women who wail at funerals.
*9:19 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "We are shamed well, well."
*9:20 Lit. Ar. id.: "Instructions," or "explanations."
*9:21.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "... has risen up to our windows."
*9:21.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Oblivionated."
*9:22.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Carcasses," or "skins."
*9:22.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Children of man."
*9:22.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Faces."
*9:22.4 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "grain."
*9:22.5 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "sweep."
*9:24.1 Lit. Aramaic: "In-na-nah." "I AM I." Eashoa (Jesus) also uttered this in the New Testament.
*9:24.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Does grace."
*9:24.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "To the earth."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index