1. "And in that season," said the Lord, "there shall emerge from their graves the bones of the kings of Judea, the bones of their nobles,* the bones of their high priests, the bones of their prophets, and the bones of the inhabitants of Jerusalem,Footnotes:
2. "They shall lay them out* under the sun and the moon, and all the powers of heaven, which they love,* work for and follow,* those to which they pray* and worship; they neither gather nor bury them, except they leave them to be the refuse* over the face* of the earth.
3. "And they shall choose death over Life* every one of them who shall remain from this evil tribe, in every country that I shall scatter them," said the Almighty Lord.
4. And it shall be said to them, thus says the Lord, "If they fall, they shall not rise, and if they settle down, they shall not repent.
5. "Wherefore have these people of Jerusalem adhered to a miserable faith? They are embroiled in treachery and have no desire to repent.
6. "I listened* and heard, they did not speak righteously, for no one admitted their guilt,* saying, 'what have I done?' Every one of them goes about according to his will, like a horse that is rescued from battle.
7. "Even the stork in the sky knows its season, the pigeon, the thrush and the swallow obey the season of their return,* but my people know not the judgment of the Lord.
8. "How can you say that we are wise and that we adhere to the Law of the Lord?* Truly the pen* of the liar has transformed the Scripture into lies.
9. "But the wise shall be put to shame, they shall be broken and taken captive, because they denigrated the manifestation* of the Lord, for they were found without wisdom.*
10. "Because of that their women shall be given to others and their fields shall be plundered, because from their small one to their big one, all of them plotted plots, and from the lying prophets up to [their] high priests, all of them were disloyal.*
11. "They [attempt to] heal the brokenness of the Daughter of my People with laughter, and they say, 'Peace! Peace!' but there is no peace.
12. "They shall be ashamed because they will have defiled themselves, and the shameful feel no shame, and they know not that they should cover up, that is why they shall fall with those who [have a tendency to] fall, and in the season when they are invited, they shall slip," said the Lord. "I shall sift them thoroughly,"* said the Lord.
13. "There are no grapes on the vine and no figs on the fig tree; the leaves have fallen; I gave it to them, but they ignored it.
14. "And they shall say, 'What are we sitting here for? Let us gather ourselves and enter the teeming cities and be content,* because our Lord God has silenced us, and let us drink the bitter waters on account of our sins against the Lord.
15. " 'We swore off peace, so we did not [receive] and in the season for healing, we became oppressed.
16. " 'From Dan* is heard the neighing of his horses, from the sound of the speech of his giants the whole earth is shaken; they shall come and eat the earth and everything that fills it, the town and its inhabitants.'
17. "That is why I shall send to you defiling snakes, for whom there is no antidote, and they shall pierce you," said the Lord.
18. My consternation is wearing me out, my heart is devouring* me.
19. Behold, the cry of bewilderment of my people's daughter from a land far away, saying, "Is there no Lord in Zion?" Or, "Is there no king there? Because they have angered me with their seals and their foreign submission."
20. The harvest has passed and the [fruit] picking season has ended,* but we are not saved yet.*
21. I am anguished over the travail of my People's Daughter; shock has seized me.*
22. Is there no anointing in Gilead or is there no physician there? Wherefore, then, the healing of my People's Daughter has not come up?
*8:1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Great ones."
*8:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "... to dry" (implied).
*8:2.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Have mercy for."
*8:2.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And after which they go."
*8:2.4 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Ask with them."
*8:2.5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Manure."
*8:2.6 Lit. Ar. id.: "Faces."
*8:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lives," or "Eternal Life."
*8:6.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pushed up."
*8:6.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Evil."
*8:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Their entrance."
*8:8.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "How can you say that we are wise and the Law of the Lord is with us?"
*8:8.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Reed."
*8:9.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "The lessons," or "instructions."
*8:9.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And wisdom was not in them."
*8:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "Performed dishonestly."
*8:12 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "I shall sift them siftingly."
*8:14 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lay quiet there."
*8:16 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "From the one who judges."
*8:18 Lit. Ar. id.: "Is wolf upon me."
*8:20.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Has shrunk."
*8:20.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression retained: "But our plight is not over."
*8:21 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Over the brokenness of the Daughter of my People I have become [fermented like] wind and amazement has possessed me."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index