1. The manifestation* was upon Jeremiah to utter, as he stood before the Lord,Footnotes:
2. "Stand at the gate* of the Lord's House* and declare this utterance* there and say, 'Listen to the manifestation of the Lord, all you of the House of Judah, who enter these doors to worship the Lord.'
3. "This is what the Almighty Lord God of Israel says, 'Sanctify your ways and your works, and I shall settle you in this country.'
4. "And do not rely on the manifestation of usurpers who tell you, 'It is the Lord's Temple, it is the Lord's Temple!'
5. "For you are the Temple of the Lord if you clean* up your ways and your works and do justice between a man and his companions,*
6. "And [if you do justice] by the inhabitants, by the orphans and the widows; [if] you do not cheat and oppress, nor spill innocent blood in this land,* nor follow foreign gods, which will [surely] be to your detriment,
7. "I shall settle you, then, in this country, in the land that I gave to your ancestors since the [beginning of the] universe.
8. "Yet, behold, you are [still] relying on the manifestation of usurpers that are of no benefit.
9. "You are thieves, killers and fornicators; you swear by the usurpers and you consecrate with consecrations to Baal, and you follow the gods that you know not.
10. "Then you come and stand in this House, over which my name is called, and you say, 'deliver us,' yet you do all this evil.
11. "Why, is this house, over which my name is called a den* of thieves in your eyes?
12. "Because of that go to my country in Shiloh, where I rested my name in the beginning, and see the thing that I did on account of the evil of my people Israel.
13. "And now in spite of doing all these works," said the Lord, "I vowed* and declared* to you -- but you did not listen, I called you but you did not respond.
14. "You did to this house, over which my name is called, that which you relied on, and to this town that I gave you and your ancestors as you did do to Shiloh.
15. "And I shall cast you away from my face,* as all your brethren cast out all the offspring of Ephraim.
16. "You, then, pray not for this people here and beg not on their behalf, do not pray to me, for I will not hear you.
17. "Did you not see what they did in the towns of Judea and the streets of Jerusalem?
18. "Children pick up wood and the parents kindle the fires, the women knead dough, to make [star-shaped] pastries and invite the fireworks* of heaven, to drink libations to other gods and provoke my wrath.
19. "It is not me they anger," says the Lord, "except themselves, as they shame their own faces."
20. That is why the Lord God says, "Behold, my anger and wrath shall rest upon this country, upon humanity and animal, upon the tree outside and the fruit of the earth; they shall burn and they shall not be extinguished."
21. This is what the Almighty Lord, God of Israel, said, "Their holocausts shall be greater than their sacrifices, and they shall eat the meat that I did not command their ancestors to eat.
22. "And I did not command them on the Day that I brought them up from the Land of Egypt, neither regarding holocausts, nor regarding sacrifice.
23. "Except I gave them this utterance,* and said, 'Listen to my voice: I shall be your God and you shall be my people, and walk in every path that I command you, so as to be blessed.'
24. "But they would not listen, and they would not allow their ears to hear, except they would follow their predilections* and the desires of their evil hearts; they turned backwards instead of going forwards.*
25. "This from the Day that their ancestors left* the Land of Egypt until this Day, and I sent them my servants the prophets in every age.*
26. "I sent them beforehand, but they did not listen, they did not turn* their ears to me, and they stiffened their necks even more than their ancestors.
27. "And when you tell them all these manifestations,* they will not hear you, you shall call them but they will not respond to you.
28. "Faith has disappeared and has vanished from their mouths.
29. "Sheer* off your hair and cast it off and take up the paths of obedience,* as the Lord shall be angered and shall leave her in Diaspora for centuries.
30. "Because the Children of Judah, those that [represented] evil before me," said the Lord, "and those that consecrated their defilement in the House upon which my name is called, thus they defiled it.
31. "And they shall build the holocausts in Tophet,* by the sands of Barhannom, to burn their sons and daughters in the fire, which I neither commanded nor would it rise in my heart [to do so.]*
32. "Because of that, behold, there will come Days," says the Lord, "when Tophet shall not be spoken of again, nor Barhannom, except as the Riverbed of the Killed, and they shall entomb in Tophet the inhabitants of the country.
33. "And the corpses of the people here will be food for the birds of the sky and the beasts of the earth, and there shall be no deliverer.
34. "And there vanished from the towns of Judea and the streets of Jerusalem the voice of joy, the voice of happiness, the voice of the groom and the voice of the bride, because the whole earth would be destined for destruction."
*7:1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Explanation," "instruction," or "utterance."
*7:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "door."
*7:2.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Temple."
*7:2.3 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "message."
*7:5.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Beauty."
*7:5.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "friend."
*7:6 Lit. Ar. id.: "Country."
*7:11 Lit. Ar. id.: "Man-made cave."
*7:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Stood," or "took a stand."
*7:13.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Command," or "said."
*7:15 Lit. Ar. id.: "Faces."
*7:18 Lit. Ar. id.: "Works."
*7:23 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "I commanded them this instruction."
*7:24.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Walk after their entrances."
*7:24.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "They returned to their backs and not to their forwards."
*7:25 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "In every Day."
*7:26 Lit. Ar. id.: "Guide."
*7:27 Lit. Ar. id.: "Explanation," or "instruction."
*7:29.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Circumcise."
*7:29.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Duty."
*7:31.1 Lit. Aramaic: "T'path."
*7:31.2 Note: A Prophecy regarding the atrocities that the Romans would commit at the time of Jesus.
Jeremiah Index | Aramaic