1. "Urge the Children of Benjamin out of Jerusalem, sound the trumpets loudly, raise the banner over the House of Karam, for I will bring evil from the North and great destruction.Footnotes:
2. "Carried away as in elopement she appears to be the Daughter of Zion.*
3. "Against them there shall come the overseers,* together with their circumcised, like one; they shall pitch* their tents around her, and every man shall look after* his own party.
4. "The sword is a blessing to her, so they said, 'Let us rise and go up in the afternoon; woe to us as the Day has expired and the shadows of the evening are growing longer.'
5. "Rise, let us go up against her in the night and tear down her ramparts.
6. "Because of that," says the Almighty Lord, 'Cut down its wood, and mount a siege against Jerusalem, [a siege] that shall bring her down,* that city which I designated and all its lusts within it.'
7. "As the cave* gathers its waters, evil [comes together] and makes itself heard, its robbery and plunder are evident before my face.*
8. "By sickness and acts of violence, Jerusalem shall be cast out, that is why I am* repulsed by you, that is why you have become desolate, like the land that you did not settle in."
9. Thus says the Almighty Lord, "They shall thoroughly* glean the vineyard, the remnant of Israel's vines -- 'passes his hand like the plucker over the tendrils.'
10. "To whom shall I speak and testify; who is listening?* Behold, their ears are shut,* they cannot listen;* behold, the Manifestation of the Lord would be given to them to harvest, but they would not be pleased with it.
11. "And you shall be full of the Lord's wrath and power,* you shall stand and cast it upon the Children* in the marketplace and upon the gatherings* of the youth alike, because even the men along with the women shall be taken and the elderly in the twilight of their years.*
12. "They shall give their houses to others, together with their fields and women, for I shall raise my hand over the inhabitants of the earth," says the Lord.
13. "Because from their smallest to their biggest, all of them shall be treacherous,* from the lying prophets to the high priests, they shall all sell out.*
14. "And they shall [attempt to] heal the brokenness of my nation's daughter with derision, saying, 'Peace! Peace!,' but there will be no peace.
15. "They shall be ashamed because they shall defile themselves; however, the shameful are not [capable of] shame, and they do not even know how to cover it up; that is why they succumb to their shortcomings,* and in the season that they are invited, they shall be swept off," says the Lord.
16. Thus says the Lord, "Go up the roads,* look and ask regarding those paths that the world travels, then seek out which is the beautiful road, follow it,* and find rest in your souls, but you shall say, 'We are not going.'
17. "And I raised over you sentries so you will hear the sound of the trumpets, but you sill say, 'We did not hear it.'
18. "That is why the nations shall hear of it and observe the holidays among them;* *
19. "The world* shall hear that I brought evil upon this nation, as though they were the fruit of their own intentions,* since they will not hear my utterances* and they will not heed their own Laws.*
20. "Wherefore is the ointment that you shall bring me from Sheba, and the cane of incense from distant lands?* for I will neither be nourished by your holocausts nor shall your sacrifices heal* me."
21. Because of that, thus says the Lord, "Behold, I shall place stumbling blocks before this people, over which shall stumble both parents and their children alike, and both neighbors and their relatives shall perish."*
22. Thus says the Lord, "Behold, a nation shall come from the North, a great nation shall spring from the ends* of the earth,
23. "They are armed with bows and arrows, they are evil and merciless, their voices are like the sea in turmoil,* they ride on horses, they are arrayed* like warriors for battle -- against you, O Daughter of Zion."
24. We shall hear what they shall hear, our hands shall lose their grip, consternation shall overtake us, and we shall feel throes like those of a woman in childbirth.*
25. "Do not go out in the field, nor walk on the road, because the swords of your enemies have been wielded against you from all around, O Daughter of my People.
26. "Arm yourself with sackcloth and throw yourself into the ashes, wail and weep* as for an only son, writhe bitterly, because it is out of stillness that the despoilers shall come.
27. "I shall give you intuition among my mighty people, so you may learn and intuit their ways.
28. "Their authorities* are usurpers and they engage* in treachery, and like bronze and iron they are all unstable.*
29. "They shall scrape the cooling [agent] from their fire and the bellows; the smelter smelts in vain but their flaws* cannot be reduced.
30. "Thus they are called the denigrated currency,* because the Lord has found them of lesser value."*
*6:2 Note: Prophecy regarding Mary when she would be with child Jesus and would be taken to Egypt to escape from Herod.
*6:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Also, "shepherds."
*6:3.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Spike."
*6:3.3 Lit. Ar. id.: Also, "shepherd."
*6:6 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Siege Jerusalem siegingly."
*6:7.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Well in cave."
*6:7.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Immediately before my face."
*6:8 Lit. Ar. id.: "My soul."
*6:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "Tendrils tendrilingly."
*6:10.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "That they may hear."
*6:10.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Circumcised."
*6:10.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Heed."
*6:11.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Provisioning."
*6:11.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Child."
*6:11.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Synagogues."
*6:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Treacherous treachery."
*6:13.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Perform disloyalty."
*6:15 Lit. Ar. id.: ""Fall among their feelings."
*6:16.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Stand over the roads."
*6:16.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Go with it."
*6:18.1 Note: Prophecy regarding the false Christianity of the West.
*6:18.2 Note: As with all Scriptures, every word has to do with Jesus.
*6:19.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Earth."
*6:19.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pretensions."
*6:19.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Manifestations," or "doctrines."
*6:19.4 Note: The Prophecy regarding the nations ("Gentiles") that will persecute the Jewish people.
*6:20.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Earth."
*6:20.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Also, "please me."
*6:21 Lit. Ar. id.: "Disappear."
*6:22 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lips."
*6:23.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Whipping."
*6:23.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Graced."
*6:24 Lit. Ar. id.: "Birther."
*6:26 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lament."
*6:28.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Rulers."
*6:28.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Walk."
*6:28.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Subject to destruction," "rust," "tarnish."
*6: 29 Lit. Ar. id.: "Evils."
*6:30.1 Note: Reference to the Pharisees and the High Priests that would reject Jesus.
*6:30.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Devalued them."
Jeremiah Index | Aramaic