1. And the manifestation of the Lord was upon the Prophet Jeremiah to prophesy regarding the Philistines until the Pharaoh struck Gaza.*
2. Thus said the Lord, "Behold, I shall bring the youth from the North and they shall be like the sand that eradicates and they shall cover the earth and its contents, the city and its inhabitants, and the people* shall be bewildered, and they shall wail, all the inhabitants of the earth.
3. "From the sound of the return and the spreading of her giants and from the sound of her chariots and the sound of her wheels, [even] the parents did not return to [rescue their] children, because their hands lost their grip.*
4. "Behold a Day shall come that all the Philistines shall be exiled;* and they shall [send] Tyre and Sidon to oblivion and whoever remains to aid them, because the Lord shall destroy the Philistines [and] the rest of the islands of the Qapodqians.*
5. "The punishment* shall reach Gaza; Ashkelon shall be broken and whoever remains in them.
6. "O, sword of the Lord, until when do you not rest and cease the destruction? Rest in your scabbard; be patient, be* still.
7. "How will it rest when the Lord has commanded it against Ashkelon and against the sea ports, it is against them that he gave it charge."
*47:1 Lit. Aramaic name: "Azza."
*47:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Children of humans."
*47:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Loosened."
*47:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Carried into captivity."
*47:4.2 Lit. Aramaic name retained: "Caphtor."
*47:5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Beatings."
*47:6 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index