1. The manifestation that came over Jeremiah from before the Lord for him to prophesy to all the Judeans* who resided* in the land of Egypt, who resided at Migdol, Takhpis,* and in the Land of Peter.*
2. Thus said the Almighty Lord God of Israel, "You have seen all the evil that I have brought over Jerusalem and all the towns of the Judeans* and these that are in ruins today wherein no human resides.
3. "On account of all the evil that they performed that* angered me, and they went and consecrated incense to other gods those that neither they nor their ancestors knew.
4. "And I sent to them all my servants the prophets, [those that] I raised and sent to declare, "Do not perform these defilements which I abhor.'
5. "But* they did not listen and they did not cock their ear so as to repent* of their evil doings and to not consecrate incense to other gods,
6. "(And) so as to allow my anger and wrath to subside, and [therefore] I set fire to the towns of Judea and its city Jerusalem, and they have become the ruins and the wonderment that they are to this day."
7. And now thus says the Almighty Lord God of Israel, "Wherefore did you perform this great evil upon your souls,* and lose your men and women, the young and the children of Judea* so as they might not forgive you later.
8. "On account of you angered me by the work of your hands and you consecrated the incense to other gods in the land of Egypt where you entered to live, where I would lose you, where you would be the object of curses and attacks among all the nations of the earth.
9. "Why have you obscured the evil of your parents* and the evil of the kings of Judea and the evil of their women that they performed in the land of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?
10. "And the nation has not cleansed itself to this day, and they did not submit and they did not do the works and they did not walk by the Law and by my Covenant* that which I gave them and their ancestors."
11. Because of that thus said the Almighty Lord God of Israel, "Behold, I have consecrated my face against you to commit evil,* so as they will take away* the entire house of Judah.
12. "And I shall break the remnant of Judea, as they consecrated their faces to enter into Egypt and live there, and they shall all vanish in the land of Egypt and die by the sword, by the famine and by the plague, and they shall be the object of oaths and wonderment, curses and attacks.
13. "And I shall bring to bear* upon those who reside* in the land of Egypt, as I brought to bear upon Jerusalem, with the sword, the famine and the plague.
14. "There will not even be those who can leave or salvage anything* among the remnant of Judea, those that entered there to live in the land of Egypt or to return to the land of Judah, as they will be able to return there; they shall not return there [indeed,] except for the very young."*
15. Then* they replied and said to Jeremiah -- all those men that knew their wives had consecrated incense* to other gods and all the women who stood in the great gathering and all the people who resided in the land of Egypt and Peter* --
16. And they said to him, "This oracle that you have declared to us in the name of the Lord, we are not listening to you,
17. "Except we shall perform every oracle that our mouths shall utter, to consecrate incense* to the 'work of heaven' and to drink to her the libations, as we did perform and our ancestors performed, [as did] our kings and rulers* in the towns of Judea and the streets of Jerusalem. And we were satisfied by the bread; was it not good for us? And we saw no evil [in doing so.]
18. "And, behold, since we stopped* to raise the holocausts* to the 'work of heaven' and to drink to her the libations, we lost everything and became decimated by the sword and the famine."
19. And there replied all the women and said, "While we consecrated the incense* to the Queen of Heaven and drank libations to her, it was not to spite our men that we made medallions of her [image] and drank the libations to her."
20. Then* Jeremiah said to all the people, to the men and to the women, and to all the people that told him these words,
21. "Behold, that smell* of incense which you consecrated in the towns of Judea and the streets of Jerusalem, you and your ancestors, your kings and noblemen, and the people of the earth, it is that which rises in His heart.*
22. "And the Lord cannot again forgive you, because of the evil of your works and because of the defilement that you performed, and your land became an [object of] wonder, curses and war, on account of those that lived * there, same as today.
23. "On account of your consecrating the incense* and sinning against the Lord and your not heeding* the Voice of the Lord, his Law and his Covenant, and you did not walk according to his Testimony, that is why you are bringing* back this evil upon yourselves."
24. And Jeremiah said to all the people, the men and the women: Listen to the oracle* of the Lord all you of Judea in the land of Egypt.
25. Thus said the Almighty Lord God of Israel, "You and your women said with your own mouths and with your own hands performed it, saying, 'our offerings are genuine,' as our offerings wafted* the incense* to the 'works of heaven' and as we drank the libations to her; thus you signified* your oaths and offered your offerings."
26. Because of this hear the oracle of the Lord, all you Judeans that reside in the land of Egypt, "Behold, I swear by my great name," said the Lord that my name shall no longer be in their mouth, those of the House of Judah in all the land of Egypt; they* shall not say, "He lives He who is the Lord God."*
27. "For I shall hasten upon them the evil," said the Lord, "and they shall disappear all those men of Judea in the land of Egypt, until I have reduced them to a few.*
28. "And those who escape* the sword that return from the land of Egypt shall be few in number, and they shall know, all the remnant of Judea that went to live in the land of Egypt, whose oracles were fulfilled, mine or theirs."
29. "And [let] this be a sign for you," said the Lord, "that I commanded over you in this country so as you may know that I unleashed my words on you for evil."
30. Thus said the Lord, "Behold, I shall deliver the Paralytic Pharaoh, king of Egypt, into the hands of his enemies who want his soul, like I delivered Sidqaiah,* king of Judea, into the hands of Nebuchadnasser, king of Babylon, his enemy who wanted his soul."*
*44:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Jews."
*44:1.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sat."
*44:1.3 Lit. Aramaic name: "Tkhapis," or "Memphis"
*44:1.4 Lit. Aramaic name: "Pettrus."
*44:2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Jews."
*44:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*44:5.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*44:5.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Return."
*44:7.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction retained: "Wherefore did you bring this evil upon yourselves."
*44:7.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "To disappear from yourselves men and women and the youth and the boys from Judea."
*44:9 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Descendants."
*44:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "Standing."
*44:11.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Behold, I have consecrated my faces among you for evil." Or: "I am keeping my eye on you."
*44:11.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Make it disappear."
*44:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Command over," or "Invite upon."
*44:13.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sit."
*44:14.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "The outgoing and the fleeced."
*44:14.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Hoped in their soul."
*44:15.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*44:15.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Incenses."
*44:15.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pettrus."
*44:17.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Incenses."
*44:17.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Great ones."
*44:18.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Stayed."
*44:18.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Burn the incenses."
*44:19 Lit. Ar. id.: "Incenses."
*44:20 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*44:21.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Perfume."
*44:21.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Angers Him."
*44:22 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sat."
*44:23.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Incenses."
*44:23.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Listening."
*44:23.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Recalling."
*44:24 Lit. Ar. id.: "Instruction," or "Manifestation."
*44:25.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Raised."
*44:25.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Incenses."
*44:25.3 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Undid."
*44:26.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And they."
*44:26.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Khai Hao Maryah Allaha," or "Living He Lord God."
*44:27 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Until I have disciplined them down to a few individuals."
*44:28 Lit. Ar. id.: "Leave."
*44:30.1 Lit. Aramaic name retained: "Zedekiah."
*44:30.2 NB! This was the end of Jeremiah's prophesies regarding Judea and Jerusalem.
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index