1. And as Jeremiah concluded by telling all the people all the manifestations of their Lord God, that their God had sent to them so as to tell them all these things,*
2. There replied Izzatiah son of Hoshaiah and John* son of Qoorakh together with all the depraved men, to Jeremiah, "You speak falsely;* it is not our Lord God who sent you to tell us that we should not enter into Egypt to live there.*
3. "Because it is Barookh son of Neriyah who has pushed you upon us to deliver us into the hands of the Chaldeans to kill us and carry us captive to Babylon."
4. But* he did not listen, John son of Qoorakh and all the generals* and all the people, to the voice of their Lord God, all those who resided in the Land of Judah.
5. Then* John son of Qoorakh fetched all the generals and the rest of the remnant of the House of Judah,
6. The men and the boys, the king's household, all the souls that Nebuzardan chief of the horsemen had left with Gadlaiah son of Akhiqam son of Shapan, Jeremiah the Prophet and Barookh son of Neriyah.
7. So* they came to the land of Egypt, because they did not listen to the voice of the Lord, and they came as far as Tkhapis.
8. And the manifestation of the Lord was upon Jeremiah to declare,
9. Take up in your hand great stores and bury them with the rod into the brick kiln and [place them] at the gate of Pharaoh's Place* in Tkhapis in the sight of the men of Judea.
10. And tell them thus said the Almighty Lord God of Israel, "Behold, I shall fetch and send Nebuchadnasser, King of Babylon, my servant and I shall cast his throne* over these rocks that you buried and he shall take up his arms over them.
11. "And he shall come and strike the Land of Egypt and those that are destined for death shall die, those that are destined for captivity shall be taken captive, and those that are destined to be put to the sword shall be killed with the sword.*
12. "And he shall set fire to the temple* of the Egyptian gods; he shall burn them and carry them off, and they* shall clear* the land like a shepherd clears away his flock, and leaves the area in peace.
13. "And he* shall fetch the statue of the Temple of Shamash that is in the Land of Egypt and he shall burn the temples* of the gods of Egypt."
*43:1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "To deliver all these oracles to them."
*43:2.1 Lit. Aramaic name: "Youkhana."
*43:2.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lyingly you say."
*43:2.3 NB! After many centuries the Israelites wanted to return to Egypt again after the Lord had liberated them from there at the time of Moses.
*43:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*43:4.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Chiefs of Powers."
*43:5 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*43:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*43:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "House."
*43:10 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Seat."
*43:11 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And he shall come and strike the land of Missrin (Egypt) and to death death and to captivity captivity and to sword sword."
*43:12.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Houses."
*43:12.2 NB! Reference to the Chaldeans.
*43:12.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pick."
*43:13.1 NB! Reference to Nebuchadnasser.
*43:13.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Houses."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index