1. Then* all the generals [took] communion,* together with John son of Qoorakh, Yaznaiah son of Hoshaiah, and all the nation from the smallest one to the priest,*
2. And they said to Jeremiah, "We beg you to [go down on your knees and] pray for us before your Lord God, because there are so few of us left out of the many [that we were,] as you* can see.
3. "And let our Lord God show us the way He goes along and the commandments that He creates."*
4. And the Prophet Jeremiah said to them, "I hear you, behold, I shall [go down on my knees and] pray before your Lord God, according to your manifestation, and whatever manifestation your Lord God replies I shall [reveal it to your eyes] and I shall not hide a [single] word."
5. And they said to Jeremiah, "Let the Lord be the true faithful witness among us lest we should take exception and not fulfill the manifestation your Lord God sent through you.*
6. "Whether it is good or evil, we shall heed the voice of our Lord, to whom we have sent you, as we shall listen to the voice of our Lord God."
7. And after ten days, the manifestation of the Lord came over Jeremiah the Prophet,
8. And he called John son of Qoorakh and all the generals with him, and all the people from the small one to the priest, and he said to them,
9. Thus said the Lord God of Israel to whom you sent me so I could raise your prayers* before me.
10. "If you remain* in this land, I shall build you and not cut you down, I shall plant you and not uproot you, and I shall rest from the evil I [brought on] to you.
11. "And do not succumb* before the King of Babylon whom you fear; do not be afraid of him," said the Lord, "because I shall save you and I shall deliver you from his hands.
12. "And I shall bring kindness upon you and be merciful to you and settle you in your land,
13. "But* if you say we shall not stay* in this land, because you do not [wish to] heed the voice of your Lord God,
14. "And if you say it is not so, 'we shall enter the land of Egypt, so as we may not see war and be not hungry for bread, it is there we shall settle.'"
15. Then listen to the manifestation of the Lord, "O Remnant of Judea, thus said the Almighty Lord God of Israel, "If you set your mind* to go* to Egypt to live there,
16. "That sword* which you fear, there you shall encounter it, in the Land of Egypt; and that famine which you fear, there it shall pursue* you, and it is there that you will die.
17. "And they will die, all those men who shall set their minds* to enter into Egypt in order to live there, that they will die by the sword and the famine and the plague, and they shall not [even] have any stragglers to be carried into captivity, on account of all the evil I shall bring upon them."
18. Because thus said the Almighty Lord God of Israel, "As my anger and wrath shall subside over the inhabitants of Jerusalem, thus shall my wrath subside over you those that enter into Egypt; they shall become the objects of swearing and wonder, curses and attacks, and you shall never see this country again," said the Lord to you,* O Remnant of Judea.
19. Do not enter into Egypt, and know it; I have testified to you on this day.
20. And it was you that were lost in your soul and sent me to your Lord God and said, "Pray on your knees before our Lord God and show us whatever it is our Lord God says to us and we shall do it."
21. And I showed you today and you did not listen to the voice of your Lord God, and about everything he has sent me to [tell] you, you are not doing.
22. Now [then] understand that it is by the sword, by the famine, and by the plague that you shall die, and in the country that you wish to enter to live, there you shall die.
*42:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*42:1.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Mode," or "Commitment."
*42:1.3 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "Elder."
*42:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "As your eyes can see."
*42:3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "The Oracles He makes."
*42:5 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Except that it shall be according to the manifestation," or "... were it not to be according to the manifestation that your Lord God were to send through you for us to perform."
*42:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "Request."
*42:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sit," or "settle."
*42:11 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Be afraid."
*42:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*42:13.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sit."
*42:15.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Consecrate your faces."
*42:15.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Enter into."
*42:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "War."
*42:16.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Chase after you."
*42:17 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Consecrate their faces."
*42:18 Lit. Ar. id.: "Against."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index