1. And in the seventh month there came Ishmael son of Ntaniah son of Ishmael, for the seed of the kingdom, [together] with the noblemen of the king, and with twenty men with him; they came to Gadlaiah son of Akhiqam to Msapiah, and there they ate bread [like they were the same as the people of] Msapiah.*
2. And Ishmael son of Ntaniah, [together] with the twenty men that came with him, came up and put* Gadlaiah son of Akhiqam son of Shapan to the sword and killed him, he whom the King of Babylon had put in charge of the Land of Yehuda.*
3. [Ishmael also killed] all the Judeans that were with Gadlaiah at Msapiah and the Chaldeans who had remained and all the men who had fought -- no one heard anything.*
4. Then* two days after Gadlaiah was killed,
5. There came men from Shechem, Shiloh and Shamreen,* eighty men, with shaved beards and torn garments, [men] who had fought, [but now] with offerings and libations in their hands, so as to enter the House of the Lord.
6. Ishmael son of Ntaniah came out to meet them on their way; [then he turned around] to meet them back, crying; thus when he encountered them suddenly, he said to them, "Come to Gadlaiah son of Akhiqam!"
7. And as they entered the city, Ishmael son of Ntaniah struck them down and cast them into the cavern, he and the men with him they did.
8. But there were ten men found among them, who said to Ishmael, "Do not kill us, because we have reserves in the field: wheat, barley, oil and honey," so he left them and did not kill them together with their brothers.
9. And the cavern into which Ishmael cast all the dead bodies of the men he had killed with Gadlaiah, was the same one that Asa king of Judea had made on account* of Ba'asha king of Israel -- that is the [same] cavern that Ishmael son of Ntaniah filled with all those [now] killed.
10. Then* Ishmael took the rest of the people of Mispah captive, those whom Nebuzardan, chief of the horsemen, delivered to Gadlaiah son of Akhiqam; and thus he took them captive -- Ishmael son of Ntaniah -- and he proceeded to the crossing of the of the people of Ammon.
11. John* son of Qoorakh heard about it, together with all the generals with him, about all the captives that Ishmael son of Ntaniah had fetched,
12. Therefore,* he fetched all the men and went forth to do battle with Ishmael son of Ntaniah, and they found him over at the great waters of Gibeon.
13. And when all the people that were with Ishmael saw John son of Qoorakh, and all the generals that were with him, they were happy.
14. So* all the people that Ishmael carried off from Msapiah turned around and came to John son of Qoorakh.
15. But* Ishmael was carried off by eight men from before John, and he went to the Ammonites.*
16. Then* John son of Qoorakh and all the generals that were with him fetched all the remainder of the people that turned away from Ishmael son of Ntaniah from Msapiah after Ishmael had killed Gadlaiah son of Akhiqam, and [John] fetched the men of war,* the women, the children, and the faithful that he brought back from Gideon.
17. And they went and sat in the houses in Bimham, which is south of Bethlehem, so as they could go and enter Egypt;
18. They were afraid of the Chaldeans some of them, as Ishmael had killed Gadlaiah son of Akhiqam, whom the King of Babylon had put in charge of the Land of Judah.
*41:1 Lit. Ar. id.: "As one at Msapiah."
*41:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Struck."
*41:2.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Judah" or "Judea."
*41:3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "And man did not hear."
*41:4 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*41:5 Lit. Aramaic name retained: "Samaria."
*41:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "From before."
*41:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*41:11 Lit. Aramaic name: "Youkhana."
*41:12 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*41:14 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*41:15.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*41:15.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Children of Ammon."
*41:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*41:16.2 Lit. Aramaic retained: "Soldiers."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index