1. Thus* they heard the manifestation that Jeremiah declared* to all the nations,* [they were] Shaptaiah son of Mattan, Gedlaiah son of Pashkhur, Eyochal son of Shalmaiah, and Pashkur son of Malkaiah;
2. Thus said the Lord, "Whoever resides in this city shall die by the sword, famine, and the plague, and whoever goes out to the Chaldeans shall live and subjugate* his soul."
3. For thus said the Lord, "The city shall be delivered into the hands of the King of Babylon's army and they shall capture it."
4. And the noblemen* said to the king, "This man should be put to death because the hands of the remaining men of this city have lost their grip on their swords; they do not wish to do war, and the whole nation also -- all those whom [Jeremiah] has been speaking to -- because of this man, who does not wish peace upon this nation, except evil."
5. And King Sidqaiah said, "Behold, I hereby deliver him into your hands, because the king cannot find anything to say to you."
6. And they fetched Jeremiah and they cast him into the [water] cavern of the king's son that was in the prisoners' courtyard and they plunged Jeremiah into the cavern with a rope, but there was no water in the cavern except mud; thus Jeremiah sank into the mud.
7. When* Abdmelek* the Cushite,* a faithful man, heard [about it] -- for he was at the king's palace -- that Jeremiah had been thrown into the cavern, whereas the king was presiding* at the gate of Benjamin;
8. Abdmelek then came out from the king's palace and said to the king,
9. "My lord, it was evil what these men did to Jeremiah the Prophet, throwing him into the cavern, behold, to die with hunger, and because of him there is no bread left in the city."*
10. Then* the king ordered Abedmelek the Cushite and said to him, "Fetch for yourself thirty men from here, go and raise Jeremiah from the cavern before he dies."
11. So Abedmelek the Cushite fetched the men from the king's palace with him, and he entered the tax collector's house below the king's palace; he took the worn out towels and the worn out sheets and extended them to Jeremiah into the cavern.
12. And Abedmelek the Cushite said to Jeremiah, "Place* the rope beneath the worn out towels and sheets," which Jeremiah did.
13. Thus* they pulled Jeremiah by the rope and raised him out of the cavern, and Jeremiah sat in the prisoners' courtyard.
14. Then* Sidqaiah the kind sent for the Prophet Jeremiah and had him brought up to him, inside three entrances to the house of the Lord,* and the king said to Jeremiah, "I will ask you [that which is] manifest; do not hide the manifestation from me."
15. And Jeremiah said to Sidqaiah, "If I show* you, behold, you will kill me, and if I inform you, you will not listen to me."
16. And Sidqaiah the king swore to Jeremiah secretly in the House* and said, "Long live the Lord who gave us the [breath of life], that I will not kill you and I will not deliver you into the hands of those that seek your soul."
17. Then* Jeremiah said to Sidqaiah, "Thus said the Almighty Lord, the God of Israel, if you go out* the noblemen* of the King of Babylon, I shall bring you back to life and this city shall not be burned with fire, and you shall live and your household.*
18. "And if you do not go out* to the King of Babylon and this city is delivered into the hands of the Chaldeans, they shall burn it with fire and you shall not escape from the their hands."
19. Thus* Sidqaiah the king said to Jeremiah, " A am afraid of the Jews* in going to the Chaldeans, lest they deliver me into their hands and I become their laughing stock."*
20. And Jeremiah said, "They shall not deliver you; listen then to the manifestation of the Lord that I tell you, it shall be a blessing to you* and you shall live.*
21. "But* if you do not wish to go out there,* these are the manifestations that the Lord has revealed* to me:
22. "That all the women who remain shall go out* to the leaders of the King of Babylon, and they shall say, 'They shall lose you and defeat you those men that saluted* you,' and they shall sink your feet in the mud and turn back [and stand] behind.*
23. "And all the women and children shall go out* to the Chaldeans, and you shall not escape from their hands, except into the hands of the King of Babylon you shall be delivered, and this city shall be burned with fire."
24. Then* Sidqaiah said to Jeremiah, "No man should know of these words lest you be killed.*
25. "And as the noblemen* hear that I spoke to you and say to you, 'Tell* us what did you speak of with the king? And what did the king say to you? Do not hide anything from us or* we will kill you.'
26. "Say to them that I pleaded* with the king not to return me to the house of Jonathan the scribe lest I should die there."
27. Then* all the noblemen* came to Jeremiah and asked him, and Jeremiah revealed* to them all the words that the king had ordered him to reveal and they quit listening to him* because the manifestation was not heard.*
28. And there sat Jeremiah in the prisoners' courtyard until the Day that Jerusalem was captured.
*38:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:1.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Said."
*38:1.3 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "People."
*38:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Retain his soul through captivity."
*38:4 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Leaders."
*38:7.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:7.2 Lit. Aramaic name: "Slave or servant of a king."
*38:7.3 Lit. Aramaic: "Ethiopia."
*38:7.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sitting."
*38:9 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "My lord, evil did these men, the thing that they did to Jeremiah the Prophet, that they threw him into the hole, and behold to die of hunger, because there is no bread in the city."
*38:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:12 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:13 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:14.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:14.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "the temple."
*38:15 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Reveal it."
*38:16 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Temple."
*38:17.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:17.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Surrender to."
*38:17.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Leaders."
*38:17.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "House."
*38:18 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Surrender to."
*38:19.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:19.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Judeans."
*38:19.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "And they laugh at me."
*38:20.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "It shall bless you."
*38:20.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "And your soul shall live."
*38:21.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:21.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Surrender."
*38:21.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Showed."
*38:22.1 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Surrender."
*38:22.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Asked for your peace."
*38:22.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Return to their back."
*38:23 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Surrender."
*38:24.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:24.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Die."
*38:25.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "leaders."
*38:25.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Show."
*38:25.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "That we not."
*38:26 Lit. Ar. id.: "Begging I begged."
*38:27.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*38:27.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "leaders."
*38:27.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Showed."
*38:27.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "They hushed from him."
*38:27.5 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "The real words were not revealed."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index