1. And King Sidqaiah son of Josiah was made king instead of Jeconaiah son of Jehoiakim, whom Nebuchadnasser the King of Babylon had made king in the land of Judea.
2. And neither he nor the his servants would listen to the commandments* that the Lord spoke through Jeremiah the Prophet.
3. And Sidqaiah the king sent for Youcal son of Shelmaiah and Sapnaiah son of Maasaiah, the high priest, to [go to] Jeremiah the Prophet, and say to him, "Pray for us* before your Lord God."*
4. [However,] Jeremiah went out and hid among the people,* so as they would not cast him into prison.*
5. And when Pharaoh's army came out of Egypt, and the Chaldeans who were besieging* Jerusalem heard about it, they pulled back from Jerusalem.*
6. And the manifestation of the Lord was upon Jeremiah to say:
7. Thus said the Lord God of Israel; this is what you shall tell the King of Judea who sent you to me to beg of me, "Behold, the army of the Pharaoh that went out to help you shall return to Egypt.
8. "[But] the Chaldeans shall return and fight over this city, they shall capture it and burn it with fire."
9. Thus said the Lord, "Do not suppose within yourselves and say that the Chaldeans have left us [alone,] because they have not left;
10. "Because [even] if you were to destroy all the Chaldean army that is fighting with you, but there remain among them [only] the beaten men, every man shall rise from his tent and shall burn this city with fire."
11. And the Chaldean army moved away from Jerusalem on account of* Pharaoh's army.
12. Then Jeremiah went out of Jerusalem to go to the Land of Benjamin in order to weigh in the balance the situation* with the people.
13. And as he stood at the gate of Benjamin, there was a man of authority* there, and his name was Neriyah son of Shelmaiah son of Hananiah. He arrested Jeremiah and said to him, "Are you running away to the Chaldeans?"
14. And Jeremiah said, "You are lying, I did not run to the Chaldeans." But Neriyah did not listen to him; he took Jeremiah and brought him to the noblemen.*
15. But* the noblemen were angry at Jeremiah and they pierced him [with arguments.] Then they threw him in jail in the house of Jonathan the Scribe, for they had made him the master of the prisoners' house.
16. So they cast Jeremiah through the opening* of the hole into the dungeon, and there Jeremiah stayed for many days.
17. Then Sidqaiah the king sent for him and had him brought up, and the king asked him secretly in the palace,* saying to him, "This commandment was issued by the Lord?"* And Jeremiah replied, "It was."* And the king asked, "What did He say?"* And Jeremiah replied, "Into the hands of the Babylonian King you shall be delivered."*
18. And Jeremiah said to Sidqaiah the king, "What sin did I commit against you and your servants and this nation, that you cast me into prison?*
19. "And were are those prophets of yours that prophesied for you and said that the King of Babylon shall not come up against you and this land?
20. "Now hear me, lord king, let my request fall at your feet, and do not return me to the house of Jonathan lest I should die there."
21. Then King Sidqaiah gave the order and they left Jeremiah the Prophet in the prison courtyard, and they gave him a piece* of bread in the daytime from the street of the petitioners* until all the bread was depleted from the city, and there Jeremiah sat in the prison courtyard.
*37:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Oracles," or "instructions."
*37:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Go down on your knees [and pray] over us."
*37:3.2 NB! It is obvious from this passage that many kings of Judea as well fell away from the recognition of the True Faith in the True Allaha (or as the word is in the English language: God); therefore, it was not only the Men of Nineveh that needed a Prophet like Jonah or as in this case a Prophet like Jeremiah.
37:4.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And entered into the nation."
37:4.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "House of the prisoners."
*37:5.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Circling."
*37:5.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And there heard the Chaldeans their hearing and they moved off from Jerusalem."
*37:11 Lit. Ar. id.: "From before."
*37:12 Lit. Ar. id.: "To divide the obligation."
*37:13 Lit. Ar. id.: "Ordering man."
*37:14 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "the leaders."
*37:15 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*37:16 Lit. Ar. id.: "Window."
*37:17.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "House."
*37:17.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Emerged this instruction from before the Lord?"
*37:17.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "And Jeremiah said, "It emerged."
*37:17.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "And the king said, "What emerged?"
*37:17.5 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And he said into the hands of the King of Babylon he shall be surrendered."
*37:18 Lit. Ar. id.: "House of prisoners."
*37:21.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Ground."
*37:21.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Sealers."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index