1. And it was in the fourth year of Jehoiakim* son of Josiah* King of Judea, that, behold, the manifestation was upon Jeremiah from before the Lord to declare:
2. "Pick up the scroll of a scribe and write upon it all the oracles* that I commanded you regarding* Israel, Judea, all the nations, from the Day that I commanded you, from the days of Josiah and until this day.
3. "They are shocked to hear, those of the House of Judah, all the evil that I have thought of doing to them, such that every man has turned back from his evil ways, that I may forgive their dereliction of duty and their sins."
4. Then Jeremiah called on Baruch, son of Neriah, and Baruch wrote down everything from the mouth of Jeremiah all the instructions that the Lord had commanded upon the scroll of the Scripture.
5. Then Jeremiah ordered Baruch the son of Neriah and said to him, "I have stopped and cannot enter the House of the Lord.
6. "You enter and read the scroll that you that you have written from my mouth and [read] the instructions of the Lord before the people in the House of the Lord, on the Day of the Fast and also before all the people of Judea that have come from their town, read it to them as well.
7. "[Lest suddenly] they shall drop their prayers before the Lord and each man should turn back from his evil ways and the Lord shall set aside* the evil that he spoke regarding them [as well,] because they augmented the anger and wrath that the Lord spoke regarding this people here."
8. And Baruch, son of Neriah, did everything that the Prophet Jeremiah commanded him to read from the Scripture, the instructions of the Lord in the House of the Lord.
9. And it was in the fifth year of Jehoiakim, son of Josiah, King of Judea, in the ninth month, that they circumcised* a fast before the Lord, all the people of Jerusalem, and Baruch called upon* all the people to come from all the towns to Jerusalem.
10. And Baruch read the Scripture, the instructions of the Lord that Jeremiah the Prophet had commanded him, in the House of the Lord, in the chamber of Gamraiah, son of Shapan the scribe, in the upper courtyard, at the entrance of the new gate of the Lord's House, before all the people.
11. And Micah, son of Gamraiah, son of Shapan, heard all the instructions of the Lord from the scribe.
12. And he went down from the King's palace to the scribe's chamber and there he saw sitting all the nobles, Elishama the scribe, Delaiah son of Shemaiah, Elnathan son of Achbor, Gemraiah son of Shapan, Zedekiah son of Hannaniah, and all the leaders.
13. And Micah showed them all the commandments he heard, as Baruch read them into the ears of the people.
14. Then all the [leaders and nobles] sent for Baruch, for Yehudi son of Nethaniah son of Shelmaiah son of Cushi, and they said to him, "The scroll that you read from before the people -- bring it in your hand and come." And Baruch the son of Neriah took the scroll in his hand and went to them.
15. And the [leaders and nobles] said to him, "Sit down and read it in front of us," and Baruch read it before them.
16. And as they heard its instructions, each man looked at his companion in wonder, and they said to Baruch, "We are going to show the king all these instructions."
17. And so they asked Baruch and said to him, "Show us from whose mouth did you write all these instructions?"
18. And Baruch said to them, "Jeremiah -- from his mouth, he told me all the instructions, and I wrote it [all down] on the scroll with ink."
19. And the [leaders and nobles] said to Baruch, "Go and hide yourself, you and Jeremiah; let no man know where you are."
20. And they came to the king's courtyard, and they consecrated the scroll into the office* of Elishma'a the scribe, and thus they showed the king all those instructions.
21. Then* the king sent for Yehudi to bring the scroll and take it from the office* of Elishamah the scribe, and Yehudi read it before the king and all the [leaders and nobles] that stood before the king.
22. The king was at his winter house; it was the ninth month. Thus they consecrated a fire before him.*
23. And as Yehudi read three or four passages, he tied them to the reed of the scroll and cast them into the embers of the fire, so as to burn the entire scroll in the fire upon the fire stand.
24. And they did not succumb,* nor did they rend their garments, the king and all his servants, as they heard all these manifestations.*
25. And also Eliathan, Gamraiah and Delaiah begged the king not to burn the scroll in the fire, but he did not listen to them.
26. And the king ordered Yarkhim-Eil, so of the king, and Sheriah, son of Uzzer-Eil, and Shelmiah, son of Awid-Eil, to arrest* Jeremiah the Prophet and Baruch the scribe, [but] the Lord hid them.
27. And the manifestation of the Lord was upon Jeremiah, after the king burned the scroll, and the instructions that Baruch wrote from the mouth of Jeremiah to declare.
28. "Go back and take up another scroll and write upon it all the old instructions that were on the scroll that Jehoiakim king of Judea burned.
29. "And say to Jehoiakim, king of Judea, thus said the Lord, 'You burned this scroll and said: why did you write on it that the King of Babylon shall come and destroy this land and take away from [here] all the people* and animals?'
30. "That is why thus said the Lord regarding Jehoiakim, king of Judea, "He will not have a man sitting on the throne* of David and his dead body* shall be cast into the heat by day and into the cold* by night.
31. "He shall be [held in subjugation, together with] his offspring, and abomination shall befall his servants, and it shall befall all the inhabitants of Jerusalem and the people of Judea, all the evil that was spoken regarding them, on account of their not listening to my voice."
32. Then Jeremiah took out another scroll and gave it to Baruch, son of Neriah, the scribe, and he wrote upon it from the mouth of Jeremiah all the instructions that were written in the Scripture that Jehoiakim, the king of Judea, had burned in the fire, and he added to them more instructions similar to them.
*36:1.1 Lit. Ar. name: "Yewoyakim."
*36:1.2 Lit. Ar. name: "Yousheeyah."
*36:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Instructions," or "manifestations."
*36:2.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Over."
*36:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Rest from."
*36:9.1 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Formed a circle of fasting."
*36:9.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Before."
*36:20 Lit. Ar. id.: "Living quarters."
*36:21.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*36:21.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Quarters."
*36:22 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And the king would sit in his winter house in the ninth month and fire they consecrated before him."
*36:24 Lit. Ar. id.: "Admonitions," "arguments," "explanations," or "instructions."
*36:26 Lit. Ar. id.: "Take."
*36:29 Lit. Ar. id.: "Children of Humans."
*36:30.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Seat."
*36:30.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Carcass."
*36:30.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Ice."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index