1. The manifestation was upon Jeremiah from before the Lord in the Days of Jehoiakim, son of Josiah, King of Judea, to utter,
2. "Go to the Children of Rachbiem and speak to them, and bring them into the House of the Lord, to one of the cellars and serve them* wine.
3. "And fetch Leeznayah son of Jeremiah, son of Khwassnaiah, and his brother, and all his sons and all the House of Rachbiem."
4. And I had them enter the House of the Lord, the house that Hannan, the prophet of God and the son of Gilldaya built, so as to bring his house close to the noblemen who sat above the house of Maasaiah, son of Shallum, who guarded the gate.
5. And I consecrated before the children of the House of Rachbiem jars full of wine and cups, and I said to them, "Drink wine."
6. But* they said, "We do not drink wine, because Yonadab son of Rachev, our father, has commanded us and said to us, 'You must not drink wine, neither you nor your children, ever.'*
7. "'And you shall not build houses for yourselves, nor shall you plant the seed, and you shall not plant a vineyard, nor shall you own one; except you shall reside in tents all the days, for you shall live many days upon the face* of the earth that you shall live in.
8. "'And we listened to the commandment of Yonadab son of Rachev our father, everything that he commanded, that we must not drink wine all our days, neither us nor our women, neither our sons, nor our daughters.
9."'And we must not build houses to settle in, nor vineyards and fields, and we must have no seed.
10. "'And we settled in the tents, we listened and did everything our father Younadab commanded.'
11. "And when Nebuchadnasser, King of Babylon, came up against the land, we said, 'Let us enter Jerusalem, [on account of] the forces of the Chaldeans and the forces of Edom,' so we settled in Jerusalem."
12. And the manifestation of the Lord was upon the Prophet Jeremiah to say, Lord, the God of Israel:
13. "Go and tell the men of Judea and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, 'You did not accept the discipline* to heed my instructions," said the Lord.
14. "Do retire,* then the commandments of Yonadab son of Rachev, who ordered his sons not to drink wine, which they have not drunk to this day; because they did listen to the commandments of their father, yet what I said to you, what I inaugurated and commanded, you did not listen to that.
15. "And I sent to you all my servants, the prophets, whom I established, sent and commanded, so as every man would repent of his evil ways and return to good words and so as not to follow other gods, to work for them and settle in the land that I gave you and your ancestors; but you did not cock your ear and listen to me.
16. "Behold, they did retire,* those sons of Yonadab, so of Rachev, the commandment that their father commanded them, but the prophet here did not listen to me.
17. "Because of that, thus said the Lord, the God of Israel: Behold, I shall bring upon Judea and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem all the evil that I spoke of regarding them, on account of I commanded them but they did not listen and that I called them but they did not respond to me."
18. And to the House of Rachbiem Jeremiah said, "Thus said the Almighty Lord God of Israel, on account* of you listened to the commandment of Younadab your father and you observed all his commandments and you did everything he ordered you.
19. "Because of that, thus said the Almighty Lord God of Israel: Younadab son of Rachev shall never lack a man who stands before in all the days."
*35:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Irrigate."
*35:6.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*35:6.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "To the end of the universe."
*35:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Faces."
*35:16 Lit. Ar. id.: "Untie."
*35:18 Lit. Ar. id.: "In exchange for."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index