1. The Oracle* [came down] over Jeremiah from before the Lord on the tenth year of Zedekiha,* King of Judea, which was the eighteenth year of Nebuchadnasser, King of Babylon.
2. At that time the forces of the King of Babylon had surrounded Jerusalem and Jeremiah stood in the Sentry's Courtyard in the Palace of the King of Judea.
3. Then Zedekiah, King of Judea, stopped me and said, "Why do you prophesy and say [that] thus said the Lord: 'Behold, I shall deliver this city into the hands of the King of Babylon and he shall capture it;
4. "'And Zedekiah, the King of Judea, shall not escape* from the hand of the Chaldeans, because he shall be totally betrayed* into the hands of the King of Babylon; his mouth shall speak to his mouth and his eyes shall look into his eyes;
5. "'And to Babylon they shall take Zedekiah and there he shall remain until the Day that I shall command him,' said the Lord?"
6. And the Oracle of the Lord was upon Jeremiah to say,
7. "Behold, Nekhameil son of Shallum, your uncle,
8. "Shall come to you and say, 'Buy for yourself my field at Anathoth in the Land of Benjamin,' because to you belongs the Blessings of Inheritance and it is their duty to sell it to you,
9. "So that you may know that this is the manifestation of the Lord; thus you shall buy the field from Nekhameil, son of your uncle, that is at Anathoth, and you shall pay* for it with coin seventeen pieces of silver.*
10. "And you shall write the conditions and send them, witnessed by witnesses, and you shall weigh the coins on the scales.
11. "And you shall set the conditions of sale, [for] the one that was sealed by Commandment and the Law and that which was not sealed.*
12. "And you shall give the conditions of sale to your son, son of Neriyah, son of M'Ussia, in the presence* of Nekhameil, son of your uncle, and in the presence of the witnesses written of in the Condition of Sale, and in the presence of all the Jews sitting in the Courtyard of the Sentinels.
13. "And you shall instruct your son to reply to them, saying,
14. "'Thus said the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel: take these Conditions of Sale, the Condition of Sale that is sealed and the Condition of Sale that is not sealed and cast them into a vessel of pottery, so that they may be preserved for many Days.'
15. "For thus said the Supreme Lord, the God of Israel, 'Once again you shall purchase houses, fields and farms in this land.'"
16. "And pray [on your knees] before the Lord after you give the Condition of Sale to your son and the son of Neriyah (his mother).
17. "And pray [on your knees] before the Lord, 'Love your Lord God,' behold, I have created the heaven and the earth, 'by your almighty power and your supreme mastery,* and no manifestation [can ever] be hidden from you.
18. "You have shed your grace upon thousands of generation,* who requites the sins of the ancestors into the bosom of their children after them -- great God, [awesome in stature] and providential, Almighty Lord is his name.
19. "Sublime* is his counsel and bountiful are his works, and his eyes are open to all the ways of human beings,* who gives a man according to his ways and according to the fruit of his labors.
20. "He who performed great signs and wonders in the land of Egypt and to this day, for Israel the home of the sons of man, and you made a name for yourself as of that day.
21. "And you did liberate your Nation Israel from the land of Egypt with signs and wonders, with a capable hand and lofty arm, and with great vision.
22. "And you gave them this land that you promised to give their ancestors, a land flowing with milk and honey.
23. "And they came and inherited it but they did not heed your voice* and they did not walk according to your Law, and whatever you commanded them to do they did not do it, and all this evil ended up befalling them.*
24. "Behold, the besiegers have come up to this city to take it and the city has been surrendered itself into the hands of the Chaldeans to do evil unto her, by the sword,* by starving it and by bringing pestilence over her, and whatever it was that I said would happen* and, behold, it is what you saw.
25. "And you said to me, Lord God Almighty, 'Buy yourself the field with money, witnessed by witnesses,' and, behold, you delivered the city into the hands of the Chaldeans."
26. And the manifestation of the Lord was upon Jeremiah to say,
27. "I am* the Lord God of all flesh, then how is there anything going to be hidden from me?"
28. Because of that thus said the Lord God, "Behold, I shall deliver the city into the hands of the Chaldeans and into the hands of Nebuchadnasser, the King of Babylon, and he shall capture it.
29. "And the Chaldeans shall come and make war on this city, they shall uproot this city and burn it down with fire, together with the houses upon whose roofs they consecrated the incense to Baal and where they imbibed the libations to other gods so as to anger me.
30. "Because they were -- the sons of Israel and the sons of Judah -- doers of evil before me since their childhood, for the sons of Israel angered me by the work of their hands," said the Lord.
31. "And because of them my anger and wrath was upon this city, from the Day that they built it to this day, as to its removal from before my face.*
32. "And upon all the evil that the children of Israel and the children of Judah committed in order to anger me, they together with their kings, nobles, high priests, prophets, and the men of Judea and the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
33. "They turned their necks toward me but not their faces; I taught them, I stood up and taught them, but they did not listen, so as to accept discipline.*
34. "And they consecrated their abomination* into the house upon which my name is invoked* and they defiled it.
35. "And they built altars to Baal on the mound in Bar Hannum's Oasis to burn* their sons and daughters to Amlakh, something I neither commanded, nor would it be something that would rise in my heart; yet they performed this abomination and sinned against Judah."
36. Now, thus said the Lord God of Israel regarding this city that you said was delivered into the hands of the King of Babylon, by the sword, by the famine and by the plague:
37. "Behold, I shall gather them from all the lands where I scattered them with my anger and wrath, with great anger [indeed], and I shall return them to this country here, and I shall settle them in peace.*
38. "And they shall be for me a nation and I shall be for them The God.*
39. "And I shall give them a new heart and a new spirit so as they shall stand in submission before me all their days, and my grace shall be upon them and their children after them.
40. "And I shall raise them a covenant to the end of the universe, [a covenant] that will never cease to be a blessing to them, and I shall put the [spirit of] submission to me into their hearts so as they will never stray from me.
41. "And I shall take them in and be good to them* and plant them in earnest on this earth with all my heart and soul.'*
42. Thus said the Lord, "Just as all this great evil came upon this nation, thus I shall bring all these blessings* upon them that I spoke of.
43. "And they shall be bought up, these fields in this land that you said was a ruin, [devoid] of man and animal, which I had delivered into the hands of the Chaldeans.
44. "They shall buy fields with money; they shall write the deeds* and seal them; they shall have the witnesses give witness* -- in the land of Benjamin and around Jerusalem, the town of Judea and the towns of the mountain, in the towns of the valleys* and the towns of the South -- and I shall return them from captivity,"* said the Lord.
*32:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Manifestation," "Command," "Instruction," or "Utterance."
*32:1.2 Lit. Aramaic name: "Sidqayah,"
*32:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Exit."
*32:4.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Deliveringly delivered."
*32:9.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Weigh it."
*32:9.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Coin."
*32:11 NB! The Scriptures that were sealed and the Scriptures that were not.
*32:12 Lit. Ar. id.: "Despite."
*32:17 Lit. Ar. id.: "By your great strength and high arm."
*32:18 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Centuries."
*32:19.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Greatness."
*32:19.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And his eyes discern everything that men do."
*32:23.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Listen by your voice."
*32:23.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And it caught up to them all this evil."
*32:24.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "From before the sword."
*32:24.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "The thing that I said."
*32:26 Lit. Ar. id.: "I am I."
*32:31 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "For its passage from before my faces," or: "On account of its transgressions."
*32:33 Lit. Ar. id.: "Erudition."
*32:34.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Defilement," or "that which is defiling."
*32:34.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Called."
*32:35.1 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Offer as holocaust."
*32:37 Lit. Ar. id.: "By calm."
*32:38 NB! Promises fulfilled when Jesus came to the world 2000 years ago.
*32:41.1 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Shed my grace upon them."
*32:41.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "With all my heart and all my soul."
*32:42 Lit. Ar. id.: "Goodness," or "grace."
*32:44.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Conditions [of Sale]."
*32:44.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "... and the witnesses shall witness."
*32:44.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Crevices."
*32:44.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "I shall return their captives."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index