1. Regarding* the kingdom of Zedekiah,* son of Josiah,* King of Judea, this manifestation* came upon Jeremiah from* the Lord, and he said,
2. "Thus said the Lord to me: make yourself a yoke and straps and throw them on your neck,
3. "And send them to the king of Edom, the king of Moab, the king of the Children of Ammon, the king of Tyre* and the king of Sidon, by the hand emissaries that shall come to Jerusalem to Zedekiah, king of Judea;
4. "And command them to say to their masters, 'Thus says the Almighty Lord, the God of Israel, this is what you shall say to your masters,
5. "I created the earth and the human being,* and the animals on the face of the earth, with my supreme power and with my highest arm and I gave them to whomever is beautiful in my eyes.
6. "So now I have given all these lands* to work for Nebuchadnasser, the King of Babylon, [who is also] my servant, and even the creatures of the wilderness I have given them to work for him.
7. "And the nations shall work for him and his son, and the sons of their sons, until the season of his own land comes also; there will work for him many more nations and great kings,
8. "And the nation and the kingdom that does not work for Nebuchadnasser, the King of Babylon, and whoever does not take up* the yoke of the King of Babylon around his neck, I shall allow that nation to fall under the sword and famine," said the Lord, "until I have delivered them into his hands."*
9. "You, however, do not listen to your Lying Prophets, mythologies, dreams, bronze idols and magic, who are in the habit of telling you that you should not work for the King of Babylon.*
10. "For in vain are they prophesying to you, that I am removing you from your land, that I will remove you and that you shall perish.
11. "And the nation that takes on the yoke of the King of Babylon around its neck and work for him, I shall allow it to remain in its land," said the Lord, "they shall work it and reside in it."
12. Therefore, to Zedekiah, king of Judea, I declare according to all those instructions, thus I said, "Place your necks into the King of Babylon's yoke and work for him and for his nation and live.
13. "Thus you shall not die, you and your nation, with the sword and famine and the plague, as the Lord said regarding the nations that would not work for the King of Babylon.
14. "And you do not listen to the instructions of the Lying Prophets who tell you not to work for the King of Babylon, for it is in vain that they prophesy to you.
15. "I did not send them," said the Lord, "so they prophesy in my name in vain, to deceive you; you shall perish* together with the prophets that prophesy to you."
16. "And to the high priests and to all the nation here," thus said the Lord, "do not listen to the instructions that your prophets prophesy to you, saying, behold, the vessels of the House of the Lord shall be returned from Babylon quickly, because it is in vain that they prophesy to you."
17. "Do not listen to them," said the Lord. "Work for the King of Babylon and live, and this here town shall not be a ruin.
18. "And if they were prophets and the Lord's instructions were in them, they would have asked the Almighty Lord that the vessels remaining in the House of the Lord not be taken* and [those that were] in the palace* of the king of Judea and Jerusalem [that went to] Babylon [also.]
19. "Because that is what the Almighty Lord, the God of Israel," said regarding the columns and the sea and the bases and the other vessels that remained in this town,
20. "Which Nebuchadnasser the King of Babylon could not take, when he carried into captivity Jeconaiah, king of Judea, from Jerusalem to Babylon, together with all the nobles of Judea and Jerusalem."
21. Thus said the Almighty Lord, the God of Israel, [regarding] that which remained in the House of the Lord and in the House of Judah and Jerusalem.
22. "To Babylon they shall go and there they shall be until the Day that I command them," said the Lord, "and I shall bring them up and return them back to this country here."
*27:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "On the head." *27:1.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Çid-qayah."
*27:1.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "You-shee-yah."
*27:1.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Utterance."
*27:1.5 Lit. Ar. id.: "From before."
*27:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Çor."
*27:5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Child of human."
*27:8.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Enter into."
*27:8.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Hand."
*27:9 NB! When Jesus would come, it would be a time when Nero would be the ruler. It was the Lord's Will that it should be so, for His Kingdom was never intended to be of this World.
*27:15 Lit. Ar. id.: "Disappear."
*27:18.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Go."
*27:18.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "House."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index