1. The manifestation* that was upon Jeremiah to [proclaim to] all the people of Judea in the fourth year of Jehoiakim son of Josiah, king of Judea, that was the first year of Nebuchadnasser, king of Babylon;
2. So as the Prophet Jeremiah may declare* over all the people of Judea and over all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to declare [this manifestation.]
3. From the thirteenth year of Josiah, son of Ammon, king of Judea, and until this Day, behold, it has been twenty-three years that the manifestation of the Lord has been upon me to tell you; I have stood up everyday and told you, but you have not listened.
4. And the Lord sent to you all his servants, the prophets from before; you did not listen, and you did not cock your ears to hear.
5. So as they could say to you to repent, every man from his evil way and from the evil of your doings, and thus settle down in the land that the Lord gave you and your ancestors from [the beginning of] the universe to [the end of] the universe.
6. So as you should not go after the gods, to work for them and to worship them, "such that you may not anger me by the work of your hands, so as I may not punish you.
7. "But you did not listen to me," said the Lord; you did anger me by the works of your hands so that I should punish you."
8. Because of that thus said the Supreme Lord, "On account of your not listening to my commandments,*
9. "Behold, I shall send for and marshal all the tribes of the Northern Kings,* said the Lord, "and [also] Nebuchadnasser, King of Babylon, my servant, and I shall bring them upon this land and its inhabitants, and upon all the nations around surrounding it; and I shall destroy them and make them into a wonderment and [object of] whistling and into ruins forever.*
10. "I shall never* [let them hear again] the sound of joy and the sound of happiness, the voices of the bride and groom, the sounds of milling and [see] the light of the lamp.
11. "And this whole land shall become a ruin and an [object of] wonder, and [all] these people shall work for the King of Babylon for seventy years.
12. "And when the seventy years have ended,* I shall hold the King of Babylon and his nation accountable to his dereliction of duty," said the Lord, "and [also] the land of the Chaldeans, and they shall turn it into a [relic to be] wondered at forever.*
13. "And there shall come over this land everything that is written in this Scripture here in which Jeremiah has prophesied regarding all the nations.
14. "Because they shall also be subjugated by many nations themselves and by great kings, and they shall be repaid according to their labors and the work of their hands."
15. For thus said the Almighty Lord, the God of Israel, "Take this chalice of wine, which is the ferment, from my hand, and [give it] to all the nations to drink to whom I shall send you.
16. "And they shall drink and become drunk, and they shall quarrel on account of the war that breaks out between them."
17. And I took the chalice from the Lord's hand and I poured it out to all the nations to whom the Lord sent me,
18. To Jerusalem and the towns of Judea, their kings and rulers, to turn them into ruins and make them into relics and the object of whistling to this day.
19. To Pharaoh, the King of Egypt, and all his servants, to his noblemen and all his nation,
20. And all his districts, and to all the kings of the land of Oz and all the kings of the land of the Philistines,* Ashkelon, Gaza, Ekron, and the remnants of Ashdad;
21. Edom, Moab, and the Children of Ammon.
22. And to all the kings of Tsor* and to all the kings of Saidine* and to all the kings of the islands at the crossing of the sea.
23. And to Dedan and to the South, to Buz, and to all those who shave their face,
24. And to all the kings who are allied together* and to all the Arabian kings and to all the kings of Elam and all the kings of the Medes,
25. To all the kings who [pitch their tents in] the desert and to all the kings of Zimran.*
26. And to all kings of the North who are distant or close to their friends, and to all the kings who are on the face of the earth in its entirety, and then the king of Areshkayah shall drink after them.
27. "And say this," said the Almighty Lord of Israel, "Drink and get drunk, become disoriented* and fall down, and you will not be able to stand in the path of the sword that I shall send before you.*
28. "And if they do not wish to take the cups from your hand to drink, say to them, thus commanded the Almighty Lord of Israel, 'You shall drink indeed.'*
29. "Because, behold, this city which is called by my name,* I shall begin with it whence I bring evil upon it, and you as far as victory is concerned, you shall not be victorious,* for it is war* that I shall call upon all the inhabitants of the earth," said the Almighty Lord.
30. "However, you shall prophesy over them all these utterances,* and you shall tell them that the Lord roars from the Highest and fro the abode of his sanctuary issues his voice; he roars supremely* over his domain; he emotes loudly* like the [wine] presser he answers regarding all the inhabitants of the earth.
31*. "For the turmoil shall [reach] to the edges* of the earth, because the Lord's judgment shall be upon* the nations, and he shall judge all flesh, and the depraved he shall deliver to the sword," [thus] said the Lord.*
32. Thus said the Almighty Lord God of Israel, "Behold, evil springs forth from nation to nation and a great hurricane is born from the edges* of the earth."
33. And those slain in the Lord on that Day shall [extend] from one edge of the earth to the other edge;* they* shall neither wail nor writhe over them, they shall neither be gathered nor be burned, except they shall be like manure upon the earth.*
34. The shepherds shall wail and be shaken and the powerful of the flocks shall [roll in the dust,] as their days of slaughter have arrived,* and they shall be broken and fall like precious pottery.
35. And the house of those who flee shall be lost by the shepherds and the [future position] by the male heirs of the flock.*
36. The quaking voice of the shepherds [shall be heard] and the wailing of the male heirs* of the flock, whose pastures the Lord [allowed to be] plundered.
37. And the abodes of peace shall be broken by the wrath of the Lord's anger,
38. Because they left his abodes as the lion leaves his territory, because their law became [an arena] for war on account of* the Lord's wrath and on account of the wrath of his anger.
*25:1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Instruction."
*25:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Say."
*25:8 Lit. Ar. id.: "Instructions," "utterances," or "explanations."
*25:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "To the end of the universe."
*25:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "Oblivionate."
*25:12.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Been laid to rest."
*25:12.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "To the end of the universe."
*25:20 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pilishtayeh." (Origin of the word Palestine.")
*25:22.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Tyre."
*25:22.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sidon."
*25:24 Lit. Ar. id.: "Keeping one to one."
*25:25 Lit. Ar. id.: "Zamrine," or "who sing." (Possible reference to gypsies.
*25:27.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Whipped up."
*25:27.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Rise not from before the sword I shall send between you."
*25:28 Lit. Ar. id.: "Drinkingly drink."
*25:29.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "That has my name called over it."
*25:29.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And your victory that you win, you shall not win."
*25:29.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "The sword."
*25:30.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Commandments," "explanations," or "instructions."
*25:30.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Cheeringly cheers."
*25:31.1 NB! This passage only makes sense when one references what happens when Jesus comes.
*25:31.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lips."
*25:31.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "With."
*25:31.4 NB! Reference to Jesus.
*25:32 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lips."
*25:33.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "From the lips of the earth to the lips of the earth."
*25:33.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "No one."
*25:33.3 NB! Reference to the Day Jesus dies for the sins of the world and in the aftermath of his Resurrection, the apostles shall evangelize the whole earth.
*25:34 Lit. Ar. id.: "Have been filled."
*25:35 NB! Reference to the lost potential of those who lose everything after the crucifixion of Jesus.
*25:36 Lit. Ar id.: "Rams."
*25:38 Lit. Ar. id.: "From before the Lord."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index