1. The Lord showed me two containers of figs, consecrated before the temple, after Nebuchadnasser, King of Babylon, had taken Youkinnayah* son of Youyakim,* King of Judea, together with the guards and the horsemen, and had taken them to Babylon.
2. One basket had very good* figs and the other basket had very bad figs,* [so bad] that they could not be eaten on account of their badness.*
3. Then the Lord said to me, "What did you see, Jeremiah?" And I said, "The fig that were good, they are very good,* and the bad* ones, they were very bad* [and] that cannot be eaten on account of how bad they are."*
4. And the manifestation* of the Lord came upon me to declare,
5. "Thus says the Lord God of Israel, just as these good figs I shall usher the captives of Judea, that I sent away from this country, to the land of the Children as a blessing.
6. "And I shall consecrate my eye upon them so as [they may be] blessed and not to be maligned," said the Lord, "and I shall bring them back; I shall build them up so as [they shall not be] eradicated, [and] to be planted and not to be uprooted.
7. "And I shall give them a heart so that they shall know me, that it is I that am the Lord,* and they shall become for me a nation and I shall become for them their God, as they shall repent [before] me with all their heart."
8. "And like the evil figs that cannot be eaten on account of their evilness," thus said the Lord, "that is how I delivered Zedekiah,* King of Judea, and his noblemen* and the rest of the people that remained in this city and those that settled in the land of Egypt.
9. "And those whom I gave to upheaval, among all nations of the earth, to be insulted, vilified, satirized and cursed in all the countries where I scattered them.
10. "And where I shall send after them the sword, famine, and plague, until I wean them from the land that I gave them and their ancestors."
*24:1.1 Lit. Aramaic name retained: "Jeconiah."
*24:1.2 Lit. Aramaic name retained: "Jehoiakim."
*24:1.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*24:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Goodly good."
*24:2.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Evilys well."
*24:2.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "From their evil."
*24:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Goodly good."
*24:3.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Evil."
*24:3.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Evil."
*24:3.4 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "That cannot be eaten from their evilness."
*24:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "d'In-na-nah Mar-yah."
*24:8.1 Lit. Aramaic name: "Sid-qayah."
*24:8.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Great leaders."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index