1. The manifestation was upon Jeremiah from the Lord,* as there sent for him Zedekiah, the king, and Pashkhar, son of Melkiah, and Supnayah, son of Mussayah the high priest,* to say to [Jeremiah].
2. "Pray on our behalf before the Lord, because Nebuchadnasser, King of Babylon, has gathered our nation -- perhaps the Lord can perform all his wonders and save our nation from him."
3. And Jeremiah said to them, "This is what you shall say to Zedekiah the king,
4. "Thus says the Lord God of Israel, 'Behold, I shall turn back the vessels of war that are in your hands by which you fight the King of Babylon and the Chaldeans, who will circle you outside the city, and I shall gather them in this city.
5. "And I shall fight with you, with a grasping hand and a tall arm,* with anger and wrath."
6. And with great anger he shall strike the inhabitants* of this city, both man and animal -- many shall die.*
7. "And afterwards," said the Lord, "I shall delver Zedekiah the king of Judea and his slaves* and the people that remained in this city from the sword, from famine, from death -- I shall deliver them into the hand of Nebuchadnasser, King of Babylon, and into the hands of their enemies and into the hands of those who want their souls, and I shall strike them with the edge* of the sword; I shall not rescue them, neither shall I pity nor have mercy over them.
8. "Thus say to this nation, thus says the Lord, 'Behold, I have set forth* before the Way of Life and the Way of Death --
9. "'Whoever sits in this city shall die by the sword, famine and plague, and whoever goes out to the Chaldeans, that surround [the city,] shall live and divest his soul.'
10. "Because my presence* was consecrated in this city for [the sake of] evil and not for the good," said the Lord,* "and into the hands of the King of Babylon [whence the city] shall be delivered and they shall burn it."
11. "And [those of you] of the House of Judah, hear the utterance of the Lord [regarding] the House of David," thus said the Lord.
12. "In the morning bring justice to bear,* and deliver the oppressor from he who oppresses him, lest my wrath should issue like a fire and burn with nothing to quench it on account of the evil of your doing.
13. "Behold, I have set you at the bottom, in the deepest recesses," said the Lord, "where they say, 'who shall come against me and who shall enter our residences?'"
14. "I shall command* you according to the fruits of your labors," said the Lord, "and let the fire [burn] in its cities, and it shall devour all the surrounding [areas.]"
*21:1.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "The instruction that happened over Jeremiah from before the Lord."
*21:1.2 NB! They sent for him.
*21:5 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction retained: "Outreaching hand and raised arm."
*21:6.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Settlers."
*21:6.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "By death they shall die."
*21:7.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "servants."
*21:7..2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Mouth."
*21:8 Lit. Ar. id.: "Given."
*21:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "Circle."
*21:10.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Faces."
*21:10.2 NB! To use the presence of the Lord for other purposes and not according to his Will is abhorrent to the Lord.
*21:12 Lit. Ar. id.: "Judge by morning the judgment."
*21:14 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Bring upon you."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index