1. Pashkhur, son of Aramya the high priest, heard Jeremiah prophesying about these things. He was the commander and the authority in the house of the Lord.
2. Pashkhur beat the Prophet Jeremiah up and threw him into the stocks* of the upper gate of Benjamin's House, which was the House of the Lord.
3. However, on the following day, Pashkhur ordered that Jeremiah be [taken out] from the stocks. Then Jeremiah said to him, "It was not Pashkhur that the Lord called your name, except a settler* and a wanderer.
4. Because of that, thus says the Lord, "Behold, I shall make* you a settler [in a distant land,] together with all your loved ones;* they shall fall by the sword of their enemies, and your eyes shall see it; I shall surrender all of Judea in the hands of the king of Babylon, and to be killed by the sword.
5. "And I shall deliver all the acquisitions of this town, all its supplies, all its honor, and all the treasures of the kings of Judea,* I shall deliver them into the hands of their enemies, they shall carry them away as plunder and take them to Babylon."
6. "And you, Pashkhur, and all the people in your house, shall be taken captive to Babylon;* there you shall die and be buried, you and all your relatives to whom you prophesied in vain."
7. You mollified me, O Lord, and I was mollified, you conquered me and made me victorious; but I have become an object of derision* everyday and everyone makes fun of me.
8. And the plunder that I spoke of, and the calamities, it was regarding the robbers and the thieves that I called out, because that is what the utterance of the Lord became for me, [the cause] for ridicule and laughter everyday.
9. And I said [to myself] that I shall not remember him or* speak again in his name, but he became like the fire of a holocaust in my heart and [a sense of] obligation in my bones, and I wanted to [preach the] Hope but could not.
10. Because I heard the accusations of many that gathered around me, saying -- all those that wish me well* with their mouth but hate me in their heart -- "show him to us and we will rise against him, lest he tricks us and changes our opinion of him."
11. But the Lord is with me like a mighty giant [and] because of it all the persecutors* shall be put to shame and will not succeed, they shall be well ashamed too because they will never learn, their shame forever cannot be concealed.*
12. O Almighty Lord, who senses* righteousness, who sees into the hearts and souls,* let it be seen how you redeemed me from them, because it is to you that I revealed my judgment.
13. Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, who delivered the soul of the poor man from the hand of the evil-doer.
14. Cursed is the Day that you gave me birth; may it not be a blessing the Day that my mother gave me birth.
15. Cursed is the man who gave my father the tidings, who said to him, "a son has been born to you, an heir;" wishing him happiness and joy.*
16. That man shall be like the towns to which the Lord returns but does not shepherd, he shall hear wailing in the morning and utter dismay at noon.
17. O, that I would not be killed in the womb, my mother to become my grave, with me remaining a fetus forever.*
18. Wherefore did I leave the womb? To see strife and madness? My Days are enveloped in shame.
*20:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Noose."
*20:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Squatter." Someone who lives off of leftovers.
*20:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Do it to you."
*20:4.2 Lit. Ar. id. retained: "Relatives."
*20:6 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Go captive and to Babylon."
*20:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Laughter."
*20:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*20:10 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Ask for my peace."
*20:11.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Rejecters."
*20:11.2 NB! A prophesy regarding Jesus and all those who persecute his followers.
*20:12.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Intuits."
*20:12.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sees kidney and heart."
*20:15 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Hoping to make his happiness happy."
*20:17 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "That he did not kill me in the womb and my mother would then be my grave and the womb my conception to the [end of the] universe."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index