1. Thus said the Lord to me, "Go and buy a potter's jug* and take* with you some of the elders of the nation and [some of the elders] of the priesthood,
2. "And go out to the area of Bar Hannum, at the entrance of the main* gate and there you shall preach the manifestation that I shall command you to preach."*
3. Thus I said, "Listen to the manifestation* of the Lord, O kings of Judea and inhabitants of Jerusalem, this says the Almighty Lord God of Israel, 'Behold, I shall bring evil upon this land,* that whoever hears of it shall cock their ears.
4. " 'Because* they have abandoned me, and they have defiled the land,* wherein they have consecrated the incense to other gods that they did not know; neither did their ancestors,* nor did the kings of Judea know -- thus they filled this land* with innocent blood.
5. " 'And they built high [altars] to Baal to burn their children as holocausts* to Baal, which is not what I commanded and not what I said -- [it is] something that would never enter my heart.'"*
6. "Because of that, behold, there shall come days," said the Lord, "that this land* shall not be called Tophet and Mekhla of the Son of Hannum, except the Field of the Killed.*
7. "And I shall retire the rule of Judah and Jerusalem in this land,* and I shall throw them before the sword of their enemies and into the hands of those who want their souls, and I shall give their carcasses as food for the birds of the sky and the creatures of the earth.
8. "And they shall make this town into [an object of] wonder and whistling, and whoever enters it shall be amazed and whistle on seeing its ruins.*
9. "And they shall eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and a man will eat the flesh of his companion,* through the oppression and the difficulties* that their enemies put them through,* and those that want their [very] souls.*
10. "And they shall break the vessel before the eyes of the men who go with you.
11. "And tell them, thus says the Almighty Lord: this is how I have created this nation here and this town, like the plate of clay that is broken and cannot be put back together,* thus from among [those] of Tophet they shall bury those that need to be buried in this country."*
12. "This is what I shall do to this country here and its residents," said the Lord, "and I shall do to this town what I did to Tophet.
13. "And the houses of Jerusalem and the houses of the kings of Judea shall become like the land* of Tophet, defiled, any house that consecrates the incense on their roofs to any powers of the sky and drinks libations to other gods."
14. Then Jeremiah came from Tophet where the Lord had sent him to prophesy, and he declared to all the nation,
15. "Thus says the Almighty Lord, the God of Israel, 'Behold, I shall bring upon this city and all the towns all the evil that you shall declare over it, on account of they stiffened their necks,* so as not to hear my instructions.'"
*19:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: [Fermenting] jar of pottery.
*19:1.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Fetch."
*19:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "The siege gate," or the gate that is locked before a siege.
*19:2.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And preach there the instructions that I tell you."
*19:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Instructions."
*19:3.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Country."
*19:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Over."
*19:4.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Country."
*19:4.3 Lit. Ar. id.: or "parents."
*19:4.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Country."
*19:5.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "To burn their children by burning fire."
*19:5.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "And would not rise over my heart."
*19:6.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Country."
*19:6.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "The killing fields."
*19:7 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And cancel the counsel of Judea and Jerusalem in this country here."
*19:8 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Over its beatings."
*19:9.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression retained: "Eating the flesh." Figuratively: "to torment," "criticize," or "back-bite."
*19:9.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Chewing out and narrowing."
*19:9.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Reduce them."
*19:9.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Those who want to kill them."
*19:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "And breaking the bubbler (or cooker) to the eyes of the men who go with you."
*19:11.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Healed."
*19:11.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And in Tophet [they shall] bury from among the country to bury."
*19:13 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "country."
*19:15 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression retained: "Would not bow down their heads."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index