Jeremiah 181. [This is] the manifestation* that was upon Jeremiah from* the Lord to declare,
2. "Rise and go down to the potters place* and there I shall [allow] you to hear my instructions."
3. And I went down to the potter's house, as the Lord had instructed me,* and, behold, there he was doing the work on the wheel.
4. Then suddenly* the clay vessel, that the potter was making, collapsed in his hands, but he reformed it quickly* into another vessel, exactly as he had intended* it to be [in the first place.]
5. And the manifestation of the Lord was upon me to say,
6. "Like the potter, am I not able to do to you [as he did,] O House of Israel?" Thus said the Lord, "Behold, like wet clay in my hands, [as in the hands of] the potter, you too are in my hands, O House of Israel."
7. If out of the calm, He says [this] regarding the Nation and the Kingdom, to uproot, to unravel, to wipe out and to send to oblivion,
8. But if those people repent from their evil [ways,] He shall call back that evil that was expected to be done to them.
9. And if it were told to that nation and that kingdom to build and plant,
10. But they performed evil before me and did not listen to any voice, the blessings of which I spoke to them shall be undone.*
11. "Now, say to the men of Judea and the inhabitants of Jerusalem," thus said the Lord, "behold, I have created you evil and I have presumed upon you [certain] expectations -- repent and turn back, every man from his evil ways, correct your ways and your works."
12. But they said, "these are our ideas and we will follow our own thinking," and every man* did whatever his heart desired.
13. Ask among the nations, "who has done such things?" For they have misbehaved greatly toward* the virgins of Israel.
14. Does the foliage and the snow leave the mountains of Lebanon? Does the cold water that the foreigners diverted stop running?
15. "For my people have lost me and in vain they consecrate the incense, and they have stumbled in their ways [following] the paths of the world, so as to go [down] the paths that were not [intended] for them from the start.*
16. "To make their land something to be wondered at and whistled at for eternity, and whoever enters* it shall wonder [over it] and shake his head.
17. "Like the spirit of the desert,* I shall scatter them before their enemies; I shall show them the back of necks and not faces on the day of their persecution."*
18. And they said, "Come, let us spread the rumor* about Jeremiah, so as the Law is not taken away* from the high priests and the counsel from the wise and [the prophecy regarding] the Manifestation from the prophets; come, let us strike his tongue,* so as he may not voice all his utterances."*
19. I listened, O Lord, and heard the voice of my cheater,
20. Who repays good with evil;* thus they dug a cavern for my soul, but it shall be remembered that I shall stand before you and speak well* regarding them, so as your wrath should be turned away from them.
21. Because of that give their sons to hunger and surrender their hands to war, their women shall become barren and widowed and their men shall be killed dead and their youth shall be killed by the sword in war.
22. Wailing shall be heard from their houses, as an army shall come upon them out of the calm, because they shall dig a cavern to trap my soul and bury snares for my feet.
23. And you, Lord, you know of all their plans to kill me; do not strike down their abomination, and do not let their sins be gone from before you, let them be cast down before you, and in the season of your wrath be done with them.
*18:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Utterance," or "instructions."
*18.1.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "From before."
*18.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "House of Pottery."
*18:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "According to the Lord's manifestation."
*18:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And went crazy."
*18:4.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Returned it."
*18:4.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "According to his will."
*18:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "Turned back."
*18:12 Lit. Ar. id.: "Human."
*18:13 Lit. Ar. id.: "Done horrible things to."
*18:15 Lit. Ar. id.: "Without the head."
*18:16 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pass into it."
*18:17.1 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "An ill wind."
*18:17.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Consternation," or "oppression."
*18:18.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pretend the pretension against."
*18:18.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lost."
*18:18.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression retained: "Trip him with his own words."
*18:18.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Instructions," "explanations," or "teachings."
*18:20.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pays with evil instead of good."
*18:20.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Speak good over them."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index