1. The sin of Judea is written with a stylus* of iron and is inscribed with the point of a diamond upon the tablets of their hearts and upon the horns* of their altars,
2. And their idols* are under every tree that spreads [its leaves] and upon every hill that rises, mountains and outland.
3. "Your conquests and your districts I shall allow* them to be plundered because of your sins.
4. "And I shall make you give up* the inheritance that I gave you, and I shall have you become enslaved by your enemies in a land that you shall kindle by my wrath shall burn to the end of the universe."*
5. Thus said the Lord, "Cursed is the man who relies on the human being and does what the flesh of his arm [tells him to do,] and his heart spurns* the Lord.
6. "And he is like a root cast out,* that does not see the blessings coming, that lays in the wilderness, desolate, in a desiccated* land, uninhabitable.
7. "Blessed is the man who relies on the Lord and the Lord becomes his reliance.
8. "He becomes like the tree that is planted over the waters that send its roots to the [under the surface] streams, that does not fear when the heat comes, and its leaves remain supple, and in the year that suffers a drought he does not fear, and his fruits are not diminished.
9. "The heart is deep, more than any man -- [but] who knows it?"
10. "I, the Lord, can penetrate the heart and intuit the mind,* and give a man according to his ways* and according to the fruit of his labors.*
11. "Like the partridge that calls out to those that it did not give birth to, likewise whoever gains wealth unlawfully, in the midst of his days it shall leave him and his end shall be ridicule.
12. "A throne of honor is raised in advance from the land* that was sanctified,
13. "For the hope of Israel is the Lord, whoever leaves You shall be [put] to shame* and shall be written of as oppressors in the world,* because they abandoned the Lord, the Spring of the Living Waters."
14. Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed, save, O Lord, and I shall be saved, because it is You whom I praise.
15. Behold, they tell me, "Where is the manifestation of the Lord?" It shall come now.
16. And I do not end up* with evil from you; you know that the Day of the Son of Man you do not desire, and whatever comes out of my lips is before your face.*
17. It shall not be my undoing,* except you shall rescue me on that Evil Day.
18. My oppressors* shall be put to shame, I shall not be put to shame; they shall be broken, I shall not be broken; the Day of Evil shall come upon them; as for the breakdown, I shall break them twice over.
19. Thus said to me the Lord, "Go and stand at the Gates of the Nation,* through which enter the kings of Judea and by which they exit, and [stand at] all the gates of Jerusalem.
20. "And say to them, 'Hear the utterance of the Lord all you kings of Judea and all you of the House of Judah and all you inhabitants of Jerusalem who enter through these gates.
21. "Thus says the Lord, 'Take note within your souls,* do not carry any burdens on the Day of Sabbath and bring them through the Gates of Jerusalem,
22. " 'And do not take out any burdens from your homes on the Day of Sabbath, and no work should be done by you, but sanctify the Day of Sabbath, as I commanded your ancestors.'"
23. But they did not hear and they did not cock their ear in order to hear, and their necks became stiff, as they did not hear and as they did not receive enlightenment.*
24. "And if you truly listen to me," said the Lord, "that you do not carry burdens through the gates of this city on the Sabbath Day and you sanctify the Sabbath Day and you do not do any work in it any kind of work,
25. "Then there shall enter this city the kings and princes* that sit on the throne of David, while riding on chariots and horses, they and their leaders and the men of Judea and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and this city shall be established forever.*
26. "And they shall come from the towns of Judea, from around Jerusalem, from the land of Benjamin, from the valleys, the mountains, and from the South, to bring sacrifices, offerings and libations, and they shall bring good tidings to the House of the Lord.
27. "And if they will not listen to me and sanctify the Sabbath Day, so as not take up burdens and carry them through the Gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath Day, I shall let a fire burn in its gates that shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, a fire that shall not subside.
*17:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Reed."
*17:1.2 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "Corners."
*17:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "What they fear."
*17:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Given to."
*17:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pass you from."
*17:4.2 NB! Prophesy regarding the fire that the Jewish nation would kindle in preaching and spreading the Faith in Eashoa (Jesus) the Messiah forever. This Faith required and always requires persecution; therefore, it was and is the pre-ordained wrath of the Creator of the universe, in other words, the wrath of the Lord Himself.
*17:5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Turns from."
*17:6.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Outcast."
*17:6.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Salty."
*17:10.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Kidneys."
*17:10.2 Lit. Ar. id. retained: "According to this walk."
*17:10.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: or: "According to his submission."
*17:12 Lit. Ar. id.: "Country."
*17:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Shall be shamed."
*17:13.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Earth."
*17:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Remain."
*17:16.2 Lit. Ar. id. retained: "Before your faces is." (Expression: "Is plainly before you.")
*17:17 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "It shall not be for me for breaking."
*17:18 Lit. Ar. id.: "Ousters."
*17:19.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "At the doors of the children of the people."
*17:21 Lit. Ar. id.: "Beware in yourself."
*17:23 Lit. Ar. id.: "Education," "knowledge," or "discipline."
*17:25.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Great ones," or "rulers."
*17:25.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "To [the end of] the universe."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index