1. And the manifestation of the Lord was upon me to say,
2. "Do not take yourself a wife and do not have sons and daughters in this land."
3. For that this is what the Lord said regarding the sons and daughters that will be born in this country, regarding their mothers that give them birth and their fathers that begat them in this country,
4. "They shall be struck* by death, they shall die of hunger, neither shall anyone writhe over them nor shall anyone bury them; except they shall lay like refuse upon the face of the earth, wiped out by the sword and famine, their flesh shall become the food for the birds of the sky and the creatures of the earth."
5. For thus said the Lord. "And do not go to the house [where the dirge is held] and do not offer sympathies to them, for my peace shall pass from these people," said the Lord. "[Likewise] the grace and the mercy.
6. "And they shall die, the great and the small of this land; they shall neither bury them, writhe over them, wail over them, nor wrap them in linens.
7. "Neither shall they partake with them in bereavement and lament over the dead, nor shall they offer them the cup of consolation to drink on behalf* of their fathers and mothers.
8. "And you shall not enter the house of mourning with them to eat and drink at the feast of the dead."*
9. For thus says the Almighty Lord, the God of Israel, "Behold, I shall abolish from this land* your flocks and [from] your days the sound of joy and the sound of happiness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride.
10. "And if you present the people with all these explanations,* they shall say to you, 'Why does the Lord accuse* us of all this great evil? How did we [fail our responsibility?] And what is our sin that we sinned against our Lord God?'
11. "Say to them that it is on account of your parents* having abandoned* me, and having gone after other gods; they worked for them and worshipped them, but me they left and my Law they did not observe.*
12. "And yet you committed more evil than your fathers,* and, behold, you went every man after the desire of his evil heart, so as you may not listen to me.
13. "And you shall be cast out of this land, to a land that you and your fathers* know not, and there you shall work for other gods by day and by night, and you shall not receive mercy.
14. "Because of that, behold, there will come days," said the Lord, "and it shall not be said again, 'He is the Living Lord who brought up those of the House of Israel from the land of Egypt.'
15. "Except, [it shall be said,] 'It is He, the Living Lord, who shall raise up and bring out those of the House of Israel from the land of the North, from all the countries from where they were struck, and return them to their land that He had given their ancestors.
16. "Behold, I will send many fishermen," said the Lord, "and they will fish them [out.] Afterwards I shall send many hunters and they shall hunt them, from every mountain and high place and from every cleft in the rocks."
17. "For my eyes are on all their ways and they are not hidden from me, and their abomination cannot be hidden from me.
18. "And I shall repay them two for one* [on account of] their [failing] their duties and [account of] their sins, and on account of their defiling my land with the sacrifices to their idols -- they have filled my inheritance with their defilements."
19. O, Lord, my strength and helper, and my refuge in the day of my anguish, to you the nations come from the edges of the earth and say, "Truly the idols of falsehood that our fathers passed on to us, these are nothing and are of no benefit."
20. "Behold, humanity has made for itself gods which are not gods.
21. "Because of that, behold, I will show them and in this season I shall declare to them my hand and my stature,* and they shall come to know that The Lord is my name.
*16:4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Whipped."
*16:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Over."
*16:8 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And to the house of drinking eating do not enter, to sit with them to chew and drink."
*16:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "Country."
*16:10.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Show the people all these arguments."
*16:10.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Say all this evil."
*16:10.3 Lit. Ar. id. retained: "What do we owe him?"
*16:11.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Ancestors."
*16:11.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Left me," or "left in faith."
*16:11.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Guard and protect."
*16:12 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "Ancestors."
*16:13 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "Ancestors."
*16:18 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Two before one."
*16:21 Lit. Ar. id.: "Great strength," (like that of a giant or a warrior.)
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index