1. And the Lord said to me, "Even if Moses and Samuel should rise before me, my soul shall not be pleased with this people here; get them out of my face,* let them go.*
2. "And if they say to you, 'Where shall they go?' Tell them, 'Thus said the Lord, those who are destined for death, [they shall go] to death, and those for war, [let them go] to war, those for famine, let them perish in famine, those in captivity, [let them be taken] to captivity.'"
3. "And invite against them four punishments," said the Lord. "The sword to kill, dogs to drag them, and the birds of the sky and the creatures of the earth to eat and devour them.*
4. "And I shall send them into all the turmoil of the earth's kingdoms, on account of the irresponsible actions that Manasseh son of Hezekiah, the king of Judea, committed in Jerusalem."
5. Who shall stick with you, Jerusalem? Who will be anguished over you? And who shall dare come in and greet* you in peace?
6. " 'It is you who has left me,' said the Lord. 'You went backwards,* and I raised my hand and destroyed you.' But again I shall not leave them."
7. "And I shall cast them across* the cities of the earth -- entreating them and seeing my people disappear -- but they did not turn back from their ways.
8. "Their widows shall be more numerous than the sand of the sea; I shall bring upon them, upon the mother and the young, plunderers in the afternoon; I shall cast it upon them from the quiet of their shock* and trembling.
9. "She wails, the one who gave birth to seven, her belly is empty,* her sun has set in the midst of her day, ashamed and dug down, as for the rest of them I shall deliver them to the sword* before their enemies," said the Lord.
10. Woe to me, O my mother who gave me birth, a man of judgment, a man of anathemazation in all the land; I neither obliged anyone, nor did anyone oblige me, yet all of them jeer me.
11. The Lord said to me, "He shall not leave you in peace,* except the enemy shall approach you from the North, in the season of turmoil, in the season of evil.
12. "That cools like steel and like brass.
13. "Your assets, acquisitions, and all your district shall be given to be plundered on account of your sins.
14. "And you shall become slaves to your enemies in the land that you know not, because a fire burned through my anger over you and it burns."
15. You Lord, you know it. You remembered me, you saved me, and you shall stand by me against my persecutors,* you did not delay in fetching me.* Know this, that I received persecution on your behalf,*
16. And I observed* your commandments and performed them, and your instruction* were the joy of my heart, because your name was called upon me.*
17. O, Almighty Lord, I did not sit in the company* of jokers, except I remained* in submission under your hand and sat alone, for you filled me with wrath.
18. Wherefore my wound are so deep and my punishment so painful* that it does not heal; and they have become to me like deceiving* waters that cannot be believed?
19. Because of that, thus said the Lord, "If you again turn around and stand before me, and if you pick out the worthwhile from the worthless, you shall be like my mouth,"* said the Lord. "And they shall return to you and you shall not return to them.
20. "I gave you to this people like a thick wall of bronze, and they shall wrestle with you but they shall not win, for I am with you, to save you and deliver you," said the Lord.
21. "I shall deliver you from the hand of the wicked and save you from the hand of the slayer."*
*15:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Faces."
*15:1.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And they shall get out."
*15:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Destroy them."
*15:5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Ask for."
*15:6 Lit. Ar. id.: "You went to your back."\
*15:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Toss them with the tosser."
*15:8 NB! Shock at still being alive.
*15:9.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Bloated with air."
*15:9.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Surrender them to war."
*15:11 Lit. Ar. id.: "Grace."
*15:15.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Raise me from my annihilators."
*15:15.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Not by the extension of your spirit."
*15:15.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Received cutting down over your faces."
*15:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Guarded."
*15:16.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Explanations" or "manifestations."
*15:16.3 Lit. Ar. id. retained: "For I was called by your name."
*15:17.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Gathering" or "synagogue."
*15:17.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Submitted from before your hand."
*15:18.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Cutting."
*15:18.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lying."
*15:19 Lit. Ar. id. retained: "My spokesman" or "prophet."
*15:21 Lit. Ar. id.: "Warrior" or "killer."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index