Jeremiah 141. And the manifestation* was upon Jeremiah concerning the drought.*
2. Judea mourns, its gates have been pierced and have fallen to the ground, and the cries of Jerusalem have risen [high.]
3. The wealthy* sent their poor* to the waters; they came to the [water caves] but found no waters, they returned with their vessels empty -- they were embarrassed, they covered and hid their heads.
4. Because of the workers of the land was no rain; they farmers were ashamed and hid their heads.
5. And even the cow [in her prime,] gives birth and leaves her offspring to feed them with.*
6. And the zebras stood on the paths, the spirit rose like Jackals; their eyes became dim for there was no foliage [for them to feed on.]
7. If our sins testify against us, slaughter* [us] O Lord, for the sake of your name, because your grace is [nevertheless] tremendous, for it is against you that we have sinned.
8. O, Hope of Israel and Savior in time of duress, do not be like a stranger* in the land, or like a guest who comes* in to stay [awhile.]
9. Neither are you like a man who is lacking, nor like a man who cannot save, because you are the Lord who is among us, and your name is called upon us* -- you will not leave us.*
10. "Thus says the Lord to this people, to those that love turmoil,* whose feet do not confirm,* and the Lord is not pleased* with them for their abominations are recalled and their sins are [subject to] the commandments.
11. And the Lord said to me, "Do not pray for this people to be blessed.
12. "For even if they fast, I shall not hear their prayer, and if they offer up the holocausts and the sacrifices, I shall not be pleased in them, because it is by war, famine and death that I shall hone them."
13. And I said, "Beg the Lord God for help, for, behold, it was the prophets that said to them, 'You shall not see war, and you shall not have famine, except peace and prosperity* shall be yours* in this country."
14. And the Lord said to me, "It is through lies that [these] prophets prophesy in my name; I have not sent them, nor commanded them nor told them -- lying visions, [made] of wood and brass -- it is out of their treacherous hearts that they prophesy."
15. Because of that thus said the Lord, "Regarding the prophets that prophesy in my name, those that I did not send, those that say that war and famine will not happen in this land -- they shall [nevertheless] be decimated* by war and famine.
16. "And the people that these [prophets] prophesy to, shall be cast into the streets of Jerusalem as a result* of the war, famine and deadly disease, with no one to bury them,* they together with their women, their sons and their daughters, and their evil shall be cast upon them."
17. And I told them this manifestation,* "My eyes are filled with tears by day and night, and they do not lay quiet, because she broke down terribly,* the virgin Daughter of my People, struck by heavy blows.*
18. "If I go out into the wilderness, behold, I shall be cut down by the sword and if I [stay in] the city, behold, the famine shall devastate me, for even the prophets and the high priests wandered the earth not comprehending."*
19. You have utterly denigrated* Judea and* your soul is outraged at Zion, thus you have struck us and there is no healing, we yearn for peace but there is no grace and no season for healing; but, behold, [there is only] fear.
20. O Lord, you know our sons and the sons of our ancestors, because it is against you that they sinned.
21. Neither were they shaken on account of your name, nor would they vilify the throne of your glory -- it shall be remembered and it shall not be cancelled, your covenant with our nation.
22. For those gods that the nations submit to cannot bring down the rains, nor do the heavens give out the showers, except it is you our Lord God whom we hallow [that can.] It is you who does all these things.
*14:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Utterance." *14:1.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Over the reduction of rain."
*14:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Great ones."
*14:3.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Those lacking."
*14:5.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Because."
*14:5.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "No nurture."
*14:7 Lit. Ar. id. retained: "Sacrifice."
*14:8.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Settler."
*14:8.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pops in."
*14:9.1 Lit. Ar. id. retained: "We go by your name."
*14:9.2 Lit. Ar. id. retained: Or: "You will forgive us."
*14:10.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Have mercy to shake" or "... to move."
*14:10.2 Lit. Ar. id. retained: "Line up," or "settle in."
*14:10.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Satisfied."
*14: 13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Security."
*14:13.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Given to you."
*14:15 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "Wiped out," or "vanquished."
*14:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "From before."
*14:16.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And they have no burrier."
*14:17.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Explanation," or "revelation."
*14:17.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Whipped."
*14:17.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Beating of illness well."
*14:18 Lit. Ar. id.: "Not knowing [anything.]"
*14:19.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Denigratingly denigrated."
*14:19.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index