1. Hear the manifestation that the Lord commands you with, O House of Israel.Footnotes:
2. This is what the Lord said, "Learn not the way of the nations, nor fear the signs of the sky, because it is only the nations that fear these.
3. "For the fears of the nations are but nothing, because the wood is cut down from the forest and it is the hand of the carpenter that gives it shape.
4. "They are adorned* with coins* and gold, they are held* together with fasteners* and nails so as they will not fall apart.*
5. "They are placed* like scarecrows* [in the field] but cannot speak, for they have to lift them [and carry them around] because they cannot walk; have no fear of them because they can neither condemn nor bless."
6. There is no one like you, O Lord. Great are you and the greatest is your name in mightiness.*
7. Who does not fear* you, O King of all the Nations, for to you belongs the Kingship, because among all the wise ones of the nations and in all their kingdoms there is none like you.
8. And all at once they shall go to oblivion and these empty doctrines,* regarding the submission to wooden [idols] shall disappear.
9. The good silver comes from Tarshish, and gold from Ouphir, the [idols] are the work of carpentry and the handiwork of craftsmen; they cloth them with scarlet and purple, the weaving is the work of skilled craftsmen.*
10. But the Lord is the True* God; He is the God of Everlasting Life and the King of the Universe, and from his wrath the earth trembles, and the nations cannot belittle his wrath.
11. This is what you shall say to them, "Do not make gods of heaven and earth; these shall disappear from the earth and from beneath the sky.
12. "The Lord made the earth by his power and attained the universe by his wisdom, and at its foundations he expanded [the duration of] heaven.
13. "He created the sound of the tumultuous sea in heaven and raised the clouds from the ends* of the earth. He created the lightning for rain and brought out the spirits* out of their bondage."
14. Every man* has strayed from the truth,* every gold craftsman is shamed by the carved* [images] that they made, because they are fake imitations without spirit.
15. They are nothing, they are the works of vanity, and in the season when they are [expected] to perform, they prove to be nothing.
16. These were not the expectations of Jacob, because the One who created all was what they anticipated, and in Israel is the progeny of His Inheritance -- for the Almighty Lord is his name.
17. Gather up your belongings* from the land where you remained under oppression.*
18. Because this is what the Lord said, "Behold, I shall delay the inhabitants of this land in this season, so they may seek* me and find me."
19. Woe to me, I am broken,* this sickness is my punishment,* but I said that I can endure this sickness.*
20. My tent has been plundered, and all its ropes have been cut down, my children have left me and are gone; there is no one to pitch* my tent and raise my flock.
21. For the shepherds have rebelled and they did not pray to the Lord,* and since they did not prosper, their entire flock scattered.
22. The sound of the horn has already been heard,* behold the sound of many from the Land of the North, to turn the towns of Judea into desolation, a habitation for the jackals.
23. I know that the ways of the Lord are not like those of man and not like those of a man who goes to earn his living.*
24. Exile me, O Lord, through judgment and not through your wrath, lest you reduce me to nothing.*
25. Cast your wrath upon the nations that know you not and upon the tribes that call not upon your name, those that devour Jacob, they eat him and reduce him to nothing* and destroy his abode.
*10:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "inlaid."
*10:4.2 Lit. Ar. id.: also: "silver."
*10:4.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Justified."
*10:4.4 Lit. Ar. id.: also: "hammers."
*10:4.5 Lit. Ar. id.: "End."
*10:6 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction retained: "You are greater than the greatest."
*10: 7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Submit to."
*10:8 Lit. Ar. id.: "Knowledge."
*10:9 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "The knitting of the wise."
*10:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "Genuine."
*10:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lips."
*10:13.2 Lit. Ar. id.: also: "winds."
*10:14.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Human."
*10:14.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Knowledge."
*10:14.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "pealed [from seal]."
*10:17.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Bundles."
*10:17.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sat in consternation."
*10:18 Lit. Ar. id.: "Love me," "beg me," or "pray to me."
*10:19.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Over my breakdown."
*10:19.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Wound is my beating."
*10:19.3 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "wound."
*10:20 Lit. Ar. id.: "Drive the spikes."
*10:21 Lit. Ar. id.: or: "Want the Lord."
*10:22 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "The sound of the call-to-be-heard, behold, has come."
*10:23 Lit. Ar. id.: "Who goes to earn his fill."
*10:24 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Plant me [as a seed.]"
*10:25 Lit. Ar. id.: "Shrink him."
Jeremiah Index | Bible Index