1. The prophesies* of Jeremiah* son of Hilkiah,* of the high priest of Anathoth, in the land of Benjamin.
2. Upon whom there came the revelation* of the Lord, in the days of Josiah* son of Amon, king of Judea, in the thirtheenth year of his reign.*
3. And in the days of Jehoiakim* son of Josiah, king of Judea, until the conclusion of the eleventh year of Zedekiah* son of Josiah, king of Judea, and until Jerusalem was [plundered and carried away] in the fifth month.
4. Whence the revelation of the Lord was upon me, saying,
5. "Before you were conceived in the belly I knew you, before you emerged from the womb I sanctified you, and thus a prophet to the nations I made you."
6. I said, "I beg you, Lord God, behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am a boy."
7. But the Lord said, "Do not say you are only a boy, because to whomever I tell you to go, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall say.
8. "Be not afraid before them, because I shall be with you as your deliverance," said the Lord.
9. Then the Lord extended his hand and brought it near my mouth and said to me, "Behold, I deliver my revelations* through your mouth.
10. "Look, I have authorized you today, over nations and kingdoms, to uproot and unravel, to make them attack or annihilate, or to build and to plant."
11. Then, the revelation of the Lord was upon me, saying, ‘What do you see, Jeremiah?" And I said, "I see an almond staff."
12. The Lord said to me, "You see beautifully, thus I shall hasten to reveal myself."
13. And the revelation of the Lord was upon me a second season,* and he said, "What do you see?" I said, "The cauldron that is lit* is what I see, and its face appears from the North."*
14. Then the Lord said to me, "It is from the North that evil shall pour* out upon all the inhabitants of the earth.*
15. Because, behold, I shall send and call for all the tribes of the kingdoms of the North," said the Lord. "They shall each come and set* up their thrones at the entrance of Jerusalem’s gates and upon its walls all around* and over all the towns of Judea.
16. "I shall pronounce my judgments against them, on account of all their evils, as they renounced* me and consecrated their incense to other gods, whilst they worshipped the work of their hands.
17. "But you gird your back,* arise and tell them everything I shall order you; be not afraid of them, lest you crumble before them.
18. "And, behold, I have made you today like a solid beam,* a column of steel,* and a fence of brass over the entire land, over the kings of Judea and their commanders,* over their high priests and their prophets, and over all the nations of the earth.
19. "They shall fight with you, but they shall not be victorious over you, for I shall be with you, I shall be your deliverance,"* said the Lord.
*1:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Revelations," "explanations."
*1:1.2 Lit. Aramaic: "Kh’laqyah."
*1:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Explanations."
*1:2.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Youshiyah."
*1:2.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Kingship."
*1:3.1 Lit. Ar. name: "Youwooyaqim."
*1:3.2 Lit. Aramaic name: "Çidqayah."
*1:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "Arguments," or "reasonings."
*1:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "For two seasons."
*1:13.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Heated."
*1:13.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: ""And its faces are from the faces of the North."
*1:14 Lit. Ar. id.: "Open up over."
*1:15.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Cast."
*1:15.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "As it circles."
*1:17 Lit. Ar. id.: "Tie your backs."
*1:18.1 Lit. Aramaic: "Qareetha t’qiptah." (The words town and city derive from this word.) Well supported ceiling or roof beam. (Many roofs made up a town; therefore, this word was translated as ‘cities" in other translations.)
*1:18.2 "Iron" in other translations; however, steel was already invented centuries before by the Ashurai (the root of Ancient Aramaic language stems from the Ashurai language, and the alphabet of the Ancient Aramaic language was invented in Nineveh, capital of Ashur, around 800 BC. Nineveh fell during the lifetime of Jeremiah, in 612 BC.)
*1:18.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Great ones," "generals," or "nobles."
*1:19 Lit. Ar. id.: "As to your deliverance."
Jeremiah Index | Index