1. Rise* [and let your light] shine, because your day* has
and Maryah's* glory* has risen over you.
2. Because, behold, darkness shall cover the earth
and gloom upon* the motherlands,
[yet] upon you Maryah* will shine
and His glory shall be seen over you.
3. And the nations shall come for your light
and the kings [shall come] to the light that shines upon you.
4. Raise your eyes and look around you
as all of them have gathered and come to you,
your sons have come from afar,
and your daughters are nourished by the plentiful bounty.*
5. Then you shall see and be enlightened,
and you shall be glad and your heart shall be expansive,
because the wealth of the oceans shall come back to you,
and the nations' powers shall come to you.
6. Camel caravans shall cover you,
the young males* of Median and Ephah,
all of them from Sheba shall come;
they shall carry gold and frankincense
and they shall proffer the praises of Maryah.*
7. All the flocks of Qedar shall gather to you
and the males of Nebaioth shall minister to you,
and they shall climb upon my altar according to their own will,
and the house of glorification shall be praised.
8. Who are they that fly by like clouds?
And like the doves to their [nesting] holes?
9. Because it is to me that the islands shall swim
and the ships of Tarshish [shall sail,] like in times of old,
so as to bring your children from afar,
with* their silver and gold with them,
[on account] of the name of your Allaha,*
and they shall glorify the Holy One of Israel.
10. And the children of foreigners shall build your walls
and their kings shall minister to you,
because it was by my wrath that I struck you,
but* it was by my will that I had mercy over you.
11. Your gates shall be open [yet] secure,
they shall not be closed by day or night,
and the armies of the nations shall enter you,
and their kings shall be leading them.
12. Because the nation and the kingdom that does not work for you
shall [end up] in oblivion,
and the nations shall be ruined by war.
13. The glory of Lebanon shall come to you,
the comely cypress and the fir tree together,
to worship the land* of my hallowedness
and the country that is the footstool of my honor.*
14. And the children of those who humiliated you shall come to you in humility
and they shall worship the ground* between your feet,
all those who terrorized you,
and they call you Zion the City of Maryah,*
the Holy One of Israel.
15. Instead of being left behind and denigrated by the passer through,
I shall make you to be honored forever*
and a joy for all the generations.*
16. And you shall imbibe the milk of the nations,
and you shall [indeed] imbibe the spoils of kings,
and you shall know that I am the Maryah* your Savior,
the All-powerful* One of Jacob.
17. Instead of copper I shall bring gold
and instead of iron I shall bring silver;
and instead of wood, copper,
and instead of stone, iron;
and I shall make peace your commander
and righteousness your authority.
18. And [talk of] abomination shall not be heard again at your gates
and of plunder and destruction in your districts,
and your wall [posts] shall call out salvation
and your gates, praises.
19. And the sun shall no longer be your light of day,
and the light of the moon shall no longer illuminate you,
because you shall have the Maryah* as your light forever,*
and the days of your mourning shall come to an end.
20. And all your people,
righteous to the end of the universe,
shall inherit the earth,
the plentitude that I planted,
the work of my hands shall be glorified.
21. The small ones shall be in the thousands,
and the lacking among the people shall be the powerful;
I am the Maryah* who drives the season.*
*60:1.1 NB! Reference in the female gender, as to city or nation -- throughout the chapter.
*60:1.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Light," or "fire."
*60:1.3 Lit. Aramaic retained: "The Lord's."
*60:1.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Honor."
*60:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "For."
*60:2.2 Lit. Aramaic retained: "The Lord."
*60:2.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Rise [as the sun.]"
*60:4 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Over plenty they grow (or govern.)"
*60:6 Lit. Aramaic retained: "The Lord." Reference is to Eashoa the Messiah.
*60:9.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*60:9.2 Lit. Aramaic retained: "Allahakh," or "Your God." ("Your" is in the feminine gender because it is a reference to city or nation.)
*60:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*60:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Country."
*60:13.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Glory."
*60:14.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Expanse."
*60:14.2 Lit. Aramaic retained: "The Lord." Reference is to Eashoa the Messiah.
*60:15.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "To the end of the universe."
*60:15.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Centuries."
*60:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Inna-nah Maryah," or "I am I, the Lord."
*60:16.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Steady," or "Enduring."
*60:19.1 Lit. Aramaic retained: "The Lord." Reference is to Eashoa the Messiah.
*60:19.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "To the end of the universe."
*60:21.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "The Lord." Reference is to Eashoa the Messiah.
*60:21.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Who decides what happens."
Book of Isaiah Index | Supporters Index