1. Behold, the righteous man disappears* and no
one* remembers* him,
and men of atonement are swept away without comprehension,
because it is on account of evil that a righteous man gets swept away,
2. And when peace comes they rest in their comfort zone* and go forward.
3. And when you, children of humiliation, draw near,
you offspring of the adulterer and the prostitute.
4. Over whom are you playing [games]
and regarding whom are you opening your mouth and extending your tongue?
Behold, you are the sons of abomination and the offspring [of liars,]
5. Who are pleased by the idols, under every tree of the forest,
and you slaughter children in the gorges,
under the precipices of rocks.
6. "Your* share and your inheritance are like* the oaths of sifted [sand,]
which you also drank the libations and raised up sacrificial offerings to me --
are these what I required?
7. "Upon high mountains and terraces you made me your retreat,*
and even there you took me up to offer your sacrifices.
8. "And behind the backdoor, upon the doormat you performed* the memorial offerings,
because from the cavern [in the hillside] you took me up,
and you preferred* their bed, and the country that you showed me;
9. "And you glorified the kings with anointing,
and you became wealthy* with your incense,
and you sent your representatives to far off [lands]
and you humiliated yourself down to Sheol.
10. "In your multifarious ways you endeavored and never said lay still;
you soiled your hands [and failed to do] your duty;
because of that you did not [show any] remorse.
11. "From whom did you disengage yourself
and become fearful of that which you had lied about me
and did not remember me, nor regard me in your heart?
Behold, I am the [same old] sacred One from eternity,*
and you* do not fear me?
12. "I shall reveal* my righteousness and your works shall have no relevance.*
13. "At your outcry, they shall deliver you, those who have gathered around you;
all of them shall be lifted by the spirit and laid low by the tempest,
but* those who put their hope in me shall inherit the Holy* Earth,
14. "And they shall say, 'Harrow, harrow, clear up the path,
and remove the stumbling blocks from my people's way.'"
15. Because thus said the high and exalted One -- who lives forever,*
and whose name is holy, exalted and holy is His abode --
to the gentle and the constrained in spirit,
to bring back to life the spirit of the gentle,
and to bring back to life the heart of the wounded,
16. "Because I shall neither blame someone forever,
nor will I be [full of] wrath forever,
because the spirit issues from before me
and I am the One who created the soul.*
17. "I was angered by the abomination that uprooted her,
and I turned about and was angered,
and her moaning followed the path of her heart.
18. "I saw her ways and I healed her and provided for her,
and I repaid those who cared for her mourners.
19. "Word of mouth* created peace,
peace for those from afar
and those who are near," said the Lord.
20. "And the depraved shall cackle like the ocean,
for they shall find no calm,
and its waters shall bring back crawlers and mud.
21. "There shall be no peace for the depraved," says Allahi.*
*57:1.1 NB! Speaking to Jerusalem (in the feminine gender) throughout.
*57:1.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Perishes."
*57:1.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Human."
*57:1.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Brings him to his awareness."
*57:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Couches."
*57:6.1 Lit. Aramaic word is in feminine gender.
*57:6.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Together."
*57:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Resting place."
*57:8.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Marked."
*57:8.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Loved," or "cared for."
*57:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "Proliferated."
*57:11.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "The holy from the [foundations of the] universe."
*57:11.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "You" is in feminine gender throughout.
*57:12.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Show."
*57:12.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Effect."
*57:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*57:13.2 NB! "Earth" is in the feminine gender. However, the word "Holy" used here is in the masculine gender. Therefore, this is open to interpretation.
*57:15 Lit. Ar. id.: "To the end of the infinite universes."
*57:16 Lit. Ar. id.: "Breath."
*57:19 Lit. Ar. id.: "The speech of the lips."
*57:21 NB! "My God." Reference is to Eashoa (Jesus) the Messiah and the Father.
Isaiah Index | Supporters Index