1. "Oye, all those who thirst, who went to the waters --
[whoever has] no coin, go and say it --
and eat without money,
and without waters --
[go drink] wine and milk.
2. "Why do you carry money that is not for bread?
And why do you struggle when you do not accomplish anything?*
Listen to me carefully* and eat [what is] blessed,
and your soul shall delight in richness.*
3. "Incline your ear and come to me;
listen to me and your soul shall live,
and I will raise for you the everlasting* covenant --
the blessings of David the Faithful.
4. "Behold, I shall give you as a witness to the nations,
an authority and leader of the nations,
5. "As you shall call the nations that you know not,
and the nations that know you not shall run to you,
on account of your Lord God*
and the Holy One of Israel who praised you.
6. "Beseech the Lord* and when you find Him call on Him,
and when He comes near,
7. "The sinner shall abandon his way,
and the wicked man his opinions,
and he shall return to me and I shall have mercy on him,
and [thus return] to our God* who enriches* whom He forgives.
8. "Because my mind is not like your mind
and my ways are* not like your ways," said the Lord.*
9. "Because as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways and my mind than your minds.
10. "Because just as the rain and snow come down from the sky
and do not go back there, except irrigate the earth and bring her back to life*
and make her germinate, and give the seed to the sower,
and the bread for eating,
11. "Such will be my words, [the words] that emerge out of my mouth
and return not to me in vain,* except they do the thing that I desire
and accomplish what I send them for.
12. "Because you shall exit happily and you shall go in peace,
and the mountains and hills shall flourish* before you,
and, in praising, all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
13. "Instead of thorns, there shall be twice the [number of] of junipers,
and instead of thyme, there shall be pepper,
and there shall be peace for the Lord,*
and as for the wonders to the end of the universe there shall be no end.
*55:2.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Listen to me listeningly."
*55:2.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And your struggle which does not satisfy?"
*55:2.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Fats," as in "food."
*55:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "To [the end of] the universe.
*55:5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Maryah Allahukh."
*55:6 Lit. Ar. id.: "Maryah." Reference is to both the Messiah Eashoa and the Father.
*55:7.1 Lit. Aramaic: "Allaha."
*55:7.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Increases."
*55:8.1 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Are not."
*55:8.2 Lit. Aramaic: "Maryah." Reference is to the Father and the Messiah Eashoa.
*55:11 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Emptily."
*55:12 Lit. Ar. id.: "Be glad."
Isaiah Index |