1. "Listen, those of you of the House of
who are called by the name of Israel,
and those who emerged from the seed* of Jacob,
who swear by the name of Maryah*
and recall the God* of Israel,
[albeit] neither by earned [effort]
nor by righteousness.
2. Because they were called from the Holy City*
and had relied on the God* of Israel,
whose name is the Almighty Lord.*
3. "The first things* that I showed from the beginning,
and from my mouth they emerged
and I made them to be heard by you,
and I made them from the calm and they came.
4. "I knew that you were hard*
and your neck is [like] a steel thread
and between your eyes is like [bronze.]
5. "And I showed you from times of old,
before I would come I made you hear of it,
so as you will not say, 'My idols did it,
my carved out reliefs
and the idols [that my own hands] fashioned* saved me.'
6. " 'That we heard and saw everything
and it was not you who showed us,
then we heard you after now
and we observed [and guarded] them,
and you did not know it.'"
7. "And hence you were born,
however not from olden times,
and before that day you did not hear these things
so as you cannot say you knew them.
8. "[You cannot say] you did not hear
or knew of these things
and from olden times you did not open your ears;
I knew that you utterly* lied
and [it was] abomination from the womb that you called.
9. "Because it was on account of my name
that you allowed my wrath to pass
and my thanksgivings guarded [and protected you]
and I did not [send you to oblivion.]
10. "Behold, I exchanged you,
and not in place of currency
and in the end through the blindness of poverty;
11. "Because of me I made it so you will not be lost*
and so I would not give my honor to others.
12. "Jacob and Israel, whom I called did hear me;
I am the Beginning and I am the End.
13. "And it was my hand that formed the foundations of the universe*
and it was my right [arm] that flattened out the heaven;*
I call [on] them and they stand* like one."*
14. Gather together, all of you, and hear me out,*
"Who is there among you who can demonstrate these works?*
The Lord that His Will was done in Babylon
and in the Land of the Chaldeans.
15. "I am the one who spoke and also called Him
and brought Him and also set out His Path.
16. "Gather around me and listen to this,
from the Beginning I did not speak secretly,*
and from the season that I was [born] I was there,
and now it is the Lord Allaha* who sent me and His Spirit.
17. "Thus said your Lord* [and] Savior,
the Holy One of Israel,
'I am your Lord* [God]*
who teaches you the Path that you shall go by.
18. " 'Praise worthy you would have been then
if you had listened to my commandments
and if your peace was like a river
and your righteousness had been like the waves of the sea.
19. " 'And your offspring was like sand
and the offspring of our intestines was like dynasties,
[then]* your name would not have disappeared from before me.'"
20. Get out of Babylon and flee from the Chaldeans,
and demonstrate this by the sound of glorification,
and let it be heard and take it out to the ends* of the earth,
and declare, "The Lord* shall save His servant Jacob.*
21. "Through ruins* He shall make them walk,
and water from the rock He [gave them to drink,]
and He shook the rock and the water shot out.
22. "There shall be no peace for the depraved," said the Lord.
*48:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Waters."
*48:1.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lord."
*48:1.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Allaha."
*48:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Town."
*48:2.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Allaha."
*48:2.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Maryah."
*48:2.4 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Of olden times."
*48:4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Thick" or "stubborn."
*48:5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Cut down."
*48:8 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Lyingly lied."
*48:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "Oblivionate you."
*48:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "Hidden."
*48:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Earth."
*48:13.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Smashed the sky."
*48:13.3 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Rise."
*48:13.4 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Together."
*48:14.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Gather all of you and listen."
*48:14.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "These things."
*48:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Hiddenly."
*48:16.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "God."
*48:17.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Maryah."
*48:17.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Maryah."
*48:17.3 Lit. Aramaic word: "Allahukh."
*48:19 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*48:20.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lips."
*48:20.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Maryah."
*48:21 Lit. Ar. id.: "Wildernesses."
Supporters Index | Isaiah 49