1. Bel* has fallen, Nebo has been demolished,
and their carved out idols have become the burden of beasts,
straddling the creatures and animals [under their weight.]
2. They crumbled and fell together*
and were not able to carry off their burdens into captivity,
and they went into exile themselves.
3. "Listen to me those of [you of] the House of Jacob,
and all the rest of Israel,
those who are carried in the belly and those who are carried in the womb.
4. "Until old age I am the One,
and until seniority I am the One who shall bear [you;]
I make and I uplift,
and I am the bearer and the redeemer.*
5. "To whom do you liken me and whom do you presume that I am?
6. "To those deceivers who take out gold from their purses
and weigh the silver in the scales
and hire a goldsmith and make a god and worship it,
and also [go down on their knees] and pray to it?
7. "And they took [their god] on their shoulders and walked him about,
and they consecrated him at his place,
and he was not able to rise up again from his place,
and they also prayed to him [on their knees,] but* he did not reply to them,
and he did not deliver them from their tribulations.
8. "Remember these [acts] and admit* them,
they brought abominations upon your heart.
9. "Remember since the beginning of the universe that I am* above all*
and there is none above,* and there is none like me.
10. "And I demonstrated* from the beginning the endings,
and from [times of] old those things that I would not do, I declared them;
I shall uphold my intentions and accomplish all my desires.*
11. "From the East I shall call the bird
and from afar the man who will carry out my intentions;*
I speak as well as bring about;
I form as well as make.
12. "Listen to me you who are strong of heart,
who have distanced yourselves from righteousness.
13. "I am offering to bring forth Righteousness,
and my Salvation shall not be delayed,
and I shall bring to Zion my Salvation and to Israel my Glory."*
*46:1 Lit. Aramaic: "Beel."
*46:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "As one," or "alike."
*46:4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Deliver from."
*46:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*46:8 Lit. Ar. id. or: "Recognize."
*46:9.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Inna-nah," or "I am I."
*46:9.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Elah," or "the God over."
*46:9.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And there is no One again over it."
*46:10.1 Lit. Ar. id. or: "Showed."
*46:10.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "My intention I shall raise and all my wishes I shall do."
*46:11 Lit. Ar. id.: "Man of my intentions."
*46:13 NB! Prophecy regarding Eashoa (Jesus) when He would come to the world.
Isaiah Index | Index