1. "Henceforth, listen my servant Jacob and Israel my chosen,"
2. Thus said the Lord who created you,
who formed* you in the womb and who helped you,
"Fear not, my servant Jacob and Israel whom I called.
3. "For I shall bring waters into thirsty lands*
and streams into deserts;*
I shall cast my Spirit upon your seed
and my blessings upon your children.
4. "And they spring from between the pastures
like sheep by the edge of the waters.
5. "This one says that I am the Lord's
and this one calls himself by the name of Jacob,
and this one writes [in the name of] the Lord,*
and [claims] kinship in the name of Israel."
6. Thus said the Lord, the King of Israel and her Savior,
the Almighty Lord is His Name,
"I am* the First and I am* the Last
and there is no God* after me.*
7. "And who is like me that calls, blesses and reveals,
who can consecrate a nation forever*
and show the signs that are coming?
8. "Do not be afraid and do not tremble --
did I not let you hear it from times of old
and demonstrate it to you? And you are my witnesses --
there is no God* [before or after] me,
and there is no force that I am not aware of.*
9. "All artists that create images that they like,
those creations that are of no benefit,
[a fact] to which they witness themselves
those artists that make them:
they cannot see, hear, nor understand."*
10. Because of that, those who make gods*
and carve out reliefs for no purpose,*
11. Behold, all their artists conjure them out of human form;
they shall all be swept away [from where] they stand --
shamed and buried altogether.
12. And the carpenter scrapes off the wood with steel
and splits it open with an ax, and carves it out with a chisel,
and fashions it with the strength of his arm;
he hungers and he thirsts, but* he drinks no water
and becomes delusional.*
13. The carpenter selects the wood and measures it
and uses glue to hold [the pieces together;]
he carves it out and fashions it in the likeness of a human being,
into a pleasant image of a man.*
14. And they stood the wood in the house,
[the wood] that was cut down from the forest,
[the wood] that was nurtured by the rain,
15. [The wood] that is used by the human being for the holocausts,
and they take from it and warm themselves and bake bread with it,
and also they make it into a god and worship it;
they carve it and they worship it.
16. Half of it they burned in the fire
and they boiled meat over its coals;
they ate, were satiated, and also warmed themselves,
and they said, "Hurrah, I am warm and I see the light!"
17. And the rest of them that made the carved god,
they worshipped it and prayed to it and said,
"Deliver us, because you are our god!"
18. And they know not, nor do they understand
that the vision of their eyes is clouded*
and the understanding of their hearts is dulled.
19. And it did not occur to them,*
they did not understand,
and they did not take counsel [with each other]
and say that half of it we burned in the fire*
and over its coals we backed bread;
and we broiled meat on it and ate,
and the rest of it we turned into a wooden idol and worshipped it.*
20. Their hearts regarded the ashes, having gone astray,
they are lost and their souls cannot be redeemed [by the idol,]
but* they did not say,* "These are lies that our right hand has created."
21. "Remember these, Jacob, and Israel, you are my servant,
I formed you to be my servant;
Israel, you shall not lose me.
22. "I forgave* your abominations like they were a tempest
and your sins like they were a cloud;
return to me that I may save you."
23. Heavens glorified because the Lord created them,
the foundations of the earth cheered,
the mountains broke out in joy and thanksgiving,*
the forest and every tree no matter how small,*
on account of that the Lord saved Jacob
and was glorified through Israel.
24. Thus said the Lord who saved you,
who formed you in the womb and created you,
I am* the Lord who created all;
I stretched the heaven by myself
and put the sky over the earth from me and for me.
25. "I shall void the signs of the victorious
and I shall make their fortune tellers run amuck;
I shall make the wise men turn backwards
and I shall turn their knowledge into foolishness."
26. And He shall raise the Miltha* of his servant
and He shall bring to pass the proclamation of His angels,
[He] who said to Jerusalem to become settled
and for the towns of Judea to be built,
and [He] who raised her ruins back up.
27. [He] who said to the deep, "Be desolate,"*
and [He] who dries up the rivers.
28. [He] who said to Korish* "Be my shepherd,
so as all I wish is fulfilled" --
to order that Jerusalem be rebuilt
and the temple to be re-raised."*
*44:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Mixed" or "constituted."
*44:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "The parched country."
*44:3.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "The dry."
*44:5 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Writes his hand to the Lord."
*44:6.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Inna-nah," or "I am I."
*44:6.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Inna-nah," or "I am I."
*44:6.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Allaha."
*44:6.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Bar-Minnee," or: "Before-or-After-Me."
*44:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "To the [end of the] universe."
*44:8.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Allaha."
*44:8.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "That I do not know."
*44:9 NB! This is not a condemnation of all art, only that art that depicts idols that are worshipped and those idols to which sacrifices are made.
*44:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "That have no help in them."
*44:11 Lit. Ar. id.: "Stand and shamed and buried as one."
*44:12.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*44:12.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Whipped up."
*44:13 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pleasantness of the human being."
*44:19.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Came to their senses."
*44:19.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "As wood."
*44:19.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "They had broiled meat on it and eaten, and the rest of it they had made into a wooden idol and worshipped it."
*44:20.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*44:20.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "They cannot bring themselves to admit the falsehood they have made."
*44:22 Lit. Ar. id.: "Passed by."
*44:23.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "[There] smiled the mountains in thanksgiving."
*44:23.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "In its smallness."
*44:24 Lit. Ar. id.: "Inna-nah," or "I am I."
*44:26 Lit. Ar. word retained: "Manifestation."
*44:27 Lit. Ar. id.: "Ruined," or "dead sea."
*44:28.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Cyrus."
*44:28.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Templified."
Isaiah Index | Aramaic Bible Index