1. Because of that the Maryah of all lordships
shall relieve* Jerusalem and Judea
of the reliance only on food,
both men and women;
whoever lives on bread
and whoever lives on water,*
2. Heroes and men of war,
judges and prophets,
assessors and priests,
3. The head of fifty and the convener of the assembly,*
the counselor and the Master of Ceremonies*,
and the landed gentry.*
4. And there shall rise young people
and become their rulers,
and the jesters shall have authority over them.
5. And a man shall come down against another man,
a man against his friend,
and the young shall violate the old
and the dishonorable shall violate the honorable.
6. Because a man takes his own brother* from his father's house,
saying to him, "You have the new garments,
come, be a ruler over us,
and, here, take this responsibility under your hand."
7. And he shall reply on that Day and say,
"I do not want to be the head
when there is no bread in my house
and no shelter;
do not make me ruler over the nation."
8. Because Jerusalem shall come up short*
and Judea shall fall,
because their tongue and the work of their hands
shall become uplifted before Maryah,
uplifted to the clouds of his honor.
9. Because by their faces He shall testify on their behalf,
their sins like Sodom's shall be apparent
and cannot be hidden;
woe to their souls that will be overwhelmed by the throes of evil.
10. They say to the saintly,
"Good, that is why you shall eat
of the fruit of your hands."
11. Woe to the depraved evildoer*
because he shall be repaid for his handiwork.
12. The rulers of my people shall lead him away,
and the women shall have authority over him.
My people have lost sight of your blessings
and the way of your paths they have ridiculed.
13. He shall rise to judge, the Maryah;
He shall rise to judge his people.
14. Maryah shall enter with judgment,
together with the elders of his people,
and his great powers;
you, however, will have burned down the vineyard,
and the poor man's booty
shall be found in your homes.*
15. Wherefore have you struck down my people
and banished away the faces of the poor?"
says the Omnipotent Lord.
16. Such that* the daughters of Zion have grown haughty*
and walk holding their heads high;*
they walk and wink at each other meaningfully,*
17. They swing their hips* and anger Maryah.
18. Maryah shall soften the pride* of the daughters of Zion,
and Maryah shall extend their attire.
19. On that Day Maryah shall forgive*
their obsession* with new garments,
20. Their outfits, their braids
and the weaving of their hair,
their precious stone rings and bands,
21. And the make-up on their faces,
their tiaras, bracelets, ankle locks,
pendants, veils and inner garments,
22. Their fashions and trends,
23. And their crimson red dresses and finery,
their tassels and belts,
and their entire matching of their attire.
24. And instead of perfume they will smell like vinegar,
instead of a belt they will tie on a seed pouch,
instead of shawls they will carry cribs on their back,
and instead of wrappings they shall don the sackcloth,
because their beauty will have been ruined.
25. And your heroes shall fall by the sword
and your giants by war.
26. And they shall sit crying and weeping at its gates,
and victory on earth shall turn to defeat.*
*Chapter 3: More notes in Old Testament Commentary.
*3:1.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pass from."
*3:1.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "... the male consumer and the female consumer, all who eat bread and all who drink water."
*3:3.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Readier of the faces."
*3:3.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Master of Entertainment."
*3:3.3 Lit Ar. id.: "The placed on property."
*3:6 Lit. Ar. figure of speech: "Brother brotherly."
*3:8 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Become weighed."
*3:11 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Depraved evil."
*3:14 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "The raid of the poor in your homes."
*3:16.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Over."
*3:16.2 Lit. Ar. id.: ""Been raised."
*3:16.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Necks high" or "... raised."
*3:16.4 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "By signifying of the eyes they walk."
*3:17 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Beat their legs."
*3:18 Lit. Ar. id.: "Excellence."
*3:19.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pass by."
*3:19.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Glory of their."
*3:26 Prophesying that the victory of Jesus will be a spiritual one.
Return to Isaiah Index | Isaiah 4 | Bible Index