1. And the Lord spoke to Moses and said to him,
2. "Tell the House of Israel to select for me a portion,* from every man who reckons in his heart to make that choice.
3. "And here are the portions from which you will contribute: gold, silver and bronze,
4. "Threads of scarlet, violet and purple, and goat hair,
5. "The tanned skin of sacrificial rams, the skins of the excess goats, and the wood of acacia,
6. "And the oil for lighting, and the incense for christening* and for the fragrance of the incense itself.
7. "Precious gems to enhance and grace the ephod and the breast piece. 8. "And make me a sanctuary and I shall settle within them.
9. "Everything that I show you, in the likeness of the tabernacle and all its vessels, thus you shall make.
10. "And they shall make an ark of acacia wood, its length two arm-lengths* and a half, its width one arm-length and a half, and its height one arm-length and a half.
11. "And imbue it with pure gold, imbue it from outside and inside, and make a wreath of gold that surrounds her.
12. "Hammer* four handles of gold and place them on its four corners, two handles on one side and two on the other side.
13. "And you shall make rods of acacia wood and you shall overlay them with gold.
14. "And put the rods through the rings on the sides of the ark, so as the ark may be lifted by them.
15. "The rods shall remain in the rings of the ark, and they must not be taken off of it.
16. "And you shall place in the ark the Testimony that I shall give you.
17. "And you shall make a holy enclave of gold, pure gold, two and a half arm-lengths in length, and two and a half arm-lengths in width.
18. "And make two cherubs,* sculpt them out of pure gold, for the two sides of the enclave.
19. "And make one cherub from this side and the other cherub from the other side of the enclave, make two cherubs for the two sides.
20. "And let the cherubs have their wings spread from above and have them hold the enclave in their wings; let their faces face each other over the enclave, that is how the faces of the cherubs shall be.
21. "And the enclave shall be consecrated upon the ark from Above, and you shall place into the ark the Testimony that I shall give you.
22. "And I shall confirm you there and speak to you from above the enclave, from the Ark of the Covenant, everything that I shall command you concerning the Children of Israel.
23. "And make a table of acacia wood, two arm-lengths in length and one arm-length in width and one arm-length in height.
24. "And imbue it with pure gold and make a wreath of gold that surrounds it.
25. "And make it an edge,* and let its height spread as it goes around, and make it a wreath of gold that goes around the edge.
26. "And make it four rings of gold; let the four handles that are made of gold be mounted on the four corners, above its four legs.
27. "The rings should be at the opposites of the edges, in the vicinity of the handles, by which the table shall be lifted.
28. "And make the rod handles of acacia wood and imbue them with gold, by which the table is to be lifted.
29. "And make ceremonial bowls, cups, pitchers and chalices for drinking; make them from pure gold.
30. "And you must consecrate the Bread of Offering* before me faithfully.*
31. "And you shall make the menorah from pure gold, you shall have it cast; its base, its rod and its cross, its receptacle and Susanahs,* shall stem from it.
32. "And make six horns that emerge from its sides, three horns that emerge from one side of the menorah and three horns that emerge from the other side,
33. "Three crosses are to be fastened with one horn, with its receptacles and Susanahs, and [the other] three crosses are to be fastened with [one] horn, with its receptacles and Susanahs; thus* [you shall make it] with the six horns that emerge from the menorah.
34. "And in the menorah let there be four crosses, receptacles and Susanahs.
35. "The receptacle below the two horns [that stem] from it and the [other] receptacle that are below the two horns [that stem] from it -- thus you shall make the six horns that stem from the menorah.
36. "Thus the receptacles and the horns shall emerge from it, all of them must be cast from the same* pure gold.
37. "And make seven candles* for it, and light the candles so that they may cast their light toward its faces.
38. "And make its tongs* and candle-holders of pure gold.
39. "Make them out of pure gold, in the best craftsmanship possible, with respect to the ark and all its vessels.*
40. "And see to it that it is made in the likeness of what I showed you on the mountain."
*25:2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And they choose for me."
*25:6 Lit. Ar. id.: "To anoint the anointedness."
*25:10 Lit. Ar. id.: "Rights."
*25:12 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Forge."
*25:18 Winged, angelic figures, symbolizing the Holy Spirit.
*25:25 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lip."
*25:30.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Faces."
*25:30.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "With amen-ness."
*25:31 Lit. Ar. id.: "Shushanneh." A flower.
*25:33 Lit. Ar. id.: "Like so."
*25:36 Lit. Ar. id.: "One."
*25:37.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lamps."
*25:38 Lit. Ar. id.: To grip the candles and snuff them.
*25:39 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "From the talent of pure gold make it, it and all these vessels."
1. "The tabernacle you shall make out of ten sheets of weaved cloth, with purple and crimson threads [and let] the cherubs be made by a true craftsman.*
2. "The sheets are one length, twenty-eight arm-lengths each, and their width is four arm-lengths, every sheet is the same, they all have the same measurement.*
3. "Five sheets should be joined together and another five sheets should be joined together.*
4. "And make ties* at the edge of the tapestry on the side where it will be fastened, and likewise make at the other edge on the other side where it will be fastened.
5. "Make fifty ties on the one edge of the tapestry and make fifty ties on the edge of the other tapestry of the next set to be fastened, and let both [groups of] ties be opposite each other.*
6. "And make fifty fasteners of gold and join the tapestries one to another with the fasteners to make the tabernacle into one [piece.]
7. "And make a tapestry of hair to furnish the tabernacle; make it of eleven pieces of tapestry.*
8. "The length of the tapestry is the same;* their length shall be thirty arm-lengths and their width shall be four arm-lengths; all eleven tapestries shall have the same measurements.
9. "Then join five tapestries into one piece* and six tapestries into another,* and fold the sixth tapestry to face the front* of the tabernacle.
10. "And make fifty ties at the edge of one tapestry, from the side that it will be joined, and make fifty ties at the other side of the tapestry where the other one will be joined.
11. "And make fifty fasteners of brass, and clip the fasteners through the ties so as to join the entire tabernacle into one piece.
12. "And what remains* of the tabernacle's tapestry, take half the tapestry and cast it behind the tabernacle.
13. "And the arm-lengths from one side and the arm-lengths from the other side, that remain* from the tabernacle's tapestries, shall be above* the sides of the tabernacle from this side and that side as a cover.
14. "And make a spreader for the tabernacle of unmarked ram skins and of reddish-marked ram skins from above.*
15. "And make side panels for the tabernacle, from acacia wood, to make it stand.
16. "Ten arm-lengths is the length of one panel, and one and a half arm-length is the width of it.
17. "And two pegs* in each panel -- make them fit into the opposite panel; that is how you shall make all the panels of the tabernacle.
18. "Thus you shall make panels for the tabernacle, twenty panels to the side facing the Spirit of the South.*
19. "And forty holders of silver you shall make beneath the twenty panels, two holders under each panel, to couple with the two fasteners, so as to fit the holders of the other two fasteners [of the other panel.]
20. "And the other side of the tabernacle facing the Spirit of the North, [make that] twenty panels,
21. "And forty holders of silver, two holders under one panel and two holders under the other panel.
22. "And from the hems of the tabernacle, make six panels.
23. "And make two panels for the corner of the tabernacle from their hems.
24. "And they shall be furnished from below, and together they shall constitute the wings at the top, held by one ring; that is how both of them shall be held together at the corners.
25. "And that makes up the eight panels; thus [you shall make] sixteen posts of silver for them, two of them fasten below one panel and two of them fasten below the other panel.
26. "And make poles of acacia wood, five for the one side of the tabernacle,
27. "And five poles for the other side, for the hems of the tabernacle from the West.
28. "And the middle pole shall be put through from one panel to the other;
29. "And plate the panels in gold, and make the rings that hold the poles of gold, as their poles are also plated in gold.
30. "And raise the tabernacle in its hallowed state, as I showed you on the mountain.
31. "And make tapestries of purple and reddish yarn and weave the cloth with cherubs crafted by artists.
32. "And consecrate them over four pillars of acacia wood that have been overlaid with gold, and make their base of gold and place them into four holders made of silver.
33. "And drop the tapestries below the panels, and bring the Ark of the Covenant inside the tapestries, and spread the tapestries in the holy abode, that is the holy of holies.
34. "And you shall consecrate the sacrifice offering upon the Ark of the Covenant in the holy of holies.
35. "And you shall consecrate the table of the bread offering behind the tapestry, with the menorah opposite the bread of offering on the tabernacle's South side, and the bread of offering you shall consecrate on the North side of it.
36. "And make a tapestry for the entrance to the tabernacle, of purple threads twined with scarlet and reddish cloth and twined with crimson; [they must be] the work of an emblem maker.
37. "And make for the tapestries five poles of acacia wood and plate them with gold, together with their bases, and make for them five bronze holders."
*26:1 Lit. Ar. id.: "An artist."
*26:2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "The length of the sheet is one-twenty-eight arm-lengths and it's length four arm-lengths - of one sheet - the measure is one, to all the sheets."
*26:3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Five sheets should be fastened one to one and five sheets should be fastened one to one and five sheets should be fastened to one."
*26:4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Ears for fastening."
*26:5 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "One opposite the other."
*26:7 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Eleven tapestries make them."
*26:8 Lit. Ar. id.: "One."
*26:9.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "As one."
*26:9.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "As one."
*26:9.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Faces." To serve as the flap door.
*26:12 Lit. Ar. id.: "The excess."
*26:13.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Exceeds in length."
*26:13.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Overhang."
*26:14 Note: Sheep were marked with colors to determine ownership.
*26:17 Lit. Ar. id.: "Spikes."
*26:18 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "To the side of the southern winds."
1. "And make an altar of Acacia wood, five arm-lengths in length and five arm-lengths in width; [it's surface] shall be square-shaped, and three arm-lengths shall be its height.
2. "And make horns for it at its four corners, and let the horns be part of it and plate them with bronze.
3. "And make the holocaust receptacle for its service, and its scrapers, pans, tongs, forks and all its vessels -- make them of bronze.
4. "And make a grate, like that used for the trapping* of quarry -- make it of bronze; and make for the grate four rings of bronze on four of its sides.
5."Let them be below the edges* of the altar, and let the grate reach to the halfway [point] of the altar.
6. "And make rods for the altar, rods of acacia wood and plate them with bronze.
7. "And put the rods through the rings that they may be on the two sides of the altar by which they shall lift her.*
8. "Make it without side panels,* as I showed you on the mountain, that is how you shall make it.
9. "And make the courtyard of the tabernacle toward the side of the Spirit of the South. The outer curtains of the courtyard shall be of weaved cloth, one hundred arm-lengths shall be the length of one side,
10. "And there are to be twenty poles, with twenty holders of bronze, then secure the poles and plate them with silver.
11. "And likewise to the Northern side, [make] the lengths one hundred arm-lengths, and [make] the poles twenty, with twenty holders of bronze, and secure the poles and plate them with silver.
12. "And the width of the courtyard on the Western side is fifty arm-lengths of curtains, and its poles are ten and their holders are also ten.
13. "And the width of the courtyard facing the Spirit of the East shall be fifty arm-lengths --
14. "Fifteen arm-lengths the curtain on one side, with three poles and three holders,
15. "And the second side [also] fifteen curtains, with three poles and three holders.
16. "And at the doorway to the courtyard, have a carpet of twenty arm-lengths, interweaved with purple and crimson cloth and weaved linen, made by emblem makers, with four poles and four holders.
17. "All the surrounding poles of the courtyard shall be plated with silver, and their bases shall be also plated with silver, but their holders shall be of bronze.
18. "And the length of the courtyard shall be one hundred arm-lengths and its width shall be fifty by fifty, and its height [shall be] five arm-lengths, made of interweaved cloth and its holders shall be made of bronze.
19. "All the vessels of the tabernacle, all their craftsmanship, all their bases and all the underpinnings of the courtyard shall be of bronze.
20. "Thus you shall give the Children of Israel the commandment,* that they shall consecrate for you the pure extract of olive oil to light the lamps truly,*
21. "In the tabernacle of the season after the spreading of the testimony, and after the spreading of the testimony, line up* Aaron and his sons from evening until morning before the Lord; let this then be the Law to [the end of] the universe for all your generations* from the Children of Israel.
*27:4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Hunting."
*27:5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Hems."
*27:7 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "It." There is no neuter gender in Aramaic grammar.
*27:8 Lit. Ar. id.: "Empty (or hollow) of panels."
*27:20.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And order the Children of Israel."
*27:20.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "With amen-ness."
*27:21.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "And regulate."
*27:21.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Centuries."
1. "Receive your brother Aaron, together with his sons from the Children of Israel, to be high priests for me; Aaron, Nadab, Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar -- the Children of Aaron.*
2. "And make sacred vestments* for your brother Aaron, for honoring and glorification.
3. "And you tell all those who are wise of heart, that they may be filled with the Spirit of Wisdom and make the sacred vestments for Aaron for his sanctification, that they may perform as high priests for me.
4. "And these are the vestments that you shall make -- a breast piece, an ephod, a linen garment, a mitre and a sash,*
5. "And they shall attire themselves in gold, purple weaves, scarlet and crimson tunics, and weaved cloth.
6. "And they shall make the ephod of gold, purplish weave, scarlet and crimson cloth, and interweaved linen crafted by an artist.
7. "Two shoulders shall hold it together, holding the two sides together.
8. "And make the sash of the ephod that is over it of the same material, entwined with gold and purple threads; make it of scarlet and crimson weave and twined linen.
9. "Take two beryl stones and engrave into them the names of the Children of Israel.
10. "Engrave six names on one stone and engrave the other six names on the other stone, according to [the order of] their birth.
11. "Let the engraved stones be the work of a craftsman; have the two stones engraved with the signet names of the Children of Israel; let the stones be plated and filled with gold.
12. "And consecrate the two stones upon the shoulders of the two ephods, the stones of memorial offering for the Children of Israel, thus Aaron shall hold up their names before the Lord over the two shoulders as a memorial offering.
13. "And cover them with gold.
14. "And [let him take] two chains of pure gold, tightly linked together, and let him consecrate the two chains tightly around their necks.*
15. "And make a spread for religious [ceremonies,] make it the work of an artisan; make it like the workmanship of the ephod, of gold, purple, scarlet and crimson cloth and interweaved linen -- thus make it.
16. "Make it square* when folded, whereas it shall be stretched out along its length and its width.
17. "And you shall place in it a setting of stones, four rows of stones, the first row shall be reddish, glowing and sparkling as one.
18. "And the following row: çaddidah, speelah and niqqathah.*
19. "And the third row qinchiddun, qirchiddana and einejlah.*
20. "And the fourth row: tarshis, beryl, and yeshpah -- make these with gold inlays and with gold plating, so they are similar to each other.
21. "And the stones shall be upon the names of the Children of Israel, twelve stones upon their names, engraved as the seals of their names.*
22. "Thus the names shall be those of the twelve tribes, and you shall place upon the spread the chains that are tightly knit together, entwined with strands of pure gold.
23. "And make for the sacrificial [plate] two rings of pure gold and place the two rings on the two sides of the sacrificial [plate.]
24. "And place the two linked gold [chains] through the two rings which are at the two sides of the sacrificial [plate.]
25. "And you shall put the two linked chains through the two trays, and you shall put them through to the shoulders of the ephod facing it.
26. "And make two rings of gold and consecrate them over the two sides of the sacrificial [plate,] on the side of the ephod's edge from inside.
27. "And make two rings of gold and consecrate them on the two shoulders of the ephod from below, from before its edges, in front of its fastening above the sash of the ephod.
28. "And you shall fasten the robe from one ring to the other ring* of the ephod, with the embroidered needlework,* so it shall be put upon the ephod's sash -- do not let it go beyond the ephod's width.*
29. "Thus shall Aaron carry the names of the Children of Israel upon the judgment robe about his shoulders* when he enters the holy of holies* -- a memorial offering before the Lord truly.*
30. "And you shall consecrate upon the robe of judgment that which has been revealed by the light and that which has been justified in peace,* and they shall be upon his chest when he enters before the Lord, when Aaron carries the judgment of the Children of Israel upon his chest before the Lord truly.
31. "And make a breast piece for the ephod of pre-shrunk purple cloth.
32. "And the opening at its top* shall be from inside, and there shall be a collar that circles the opening,* interwoven, like the opening* of the chain-mail it shall be so it will not become unraveled.
33. "And have pomegranates embroidered into the hems of the purple cloth -- let the scarlet and the crimson linen circle over and around the hems, and have bells made of gold to go in-between and around them.
34. "And the bells shall be bells of gold, and together with the pomegranates they shall go around the edges* of the robe.
35. "And they shall be for Aaron [to wear] during the Service, so when he enters into the sanctuary before the Lord their sounds shall be heard, and so when he leaves that he may not die.
36. "And make a wreath of pure gold and engrave upon it a holy engraved seal for the Lord.
37. "And consecrate it over the threads of the purple embroidery, so it lies over the mitre, let it be in front of the mitre.*
38. "And is shall be between Aaron's eyes,* and it shall be the redemption* from sins that the Children of Israel personify as they have been sanctified through the holy offerings,*
39. "Through every gift by which they have been sanctified, and it shall always be present between his eyes* as a manifestation of their will before the Lord.
40. "And for the children of Aaron you shall make shorter tunics, sashes and wreaths with which to honor and glorify.
41. "And dress up your brother Aaron, together with his sons, and anoint them, still their hands, and consecrate* them for me, so as they may act as high priest for me.
42. "And you shall make for them a breast piece made of linen to cover their naked bodies,* from their backs to their thighs.*
43. "Aaron and his sons shall wear them* when they enter the Tabernacle of Ages and when they approach the altar to offer the sacrament,* lest they should be subject to sin* and die -- this then is the Law to the end of the universe,* for him and his seed* after him.
*28:1 The names in Aramaic are: Ah-roon, Na-daw, Awee-hoo, Ali-a-zar, Ea-ta-mar. *28:2 A visitor to the Louvre Museum in Paris, France, and the British Museum in London, England, will find many examples of Ashurai relief sculptures depicting the vestments of priesthood that were identical to the ones described in this chapter of Exodus. There are thousands of books on ancient history published in the world that include pictures of these sculptures. You can easily study this aspect of the antiquity of the Ancient Aramaic Scriptures. I feel that all this proves that the roots of the Bible go back to the most ancient beliefs of Mesopotamia, where Abraham, Isaac and Jacob came from. To me this is a validation of the truth of the Scriptures, not the opposite, as is claimed by Western theologians and scholars. There is no need to hide the truth; the truth is refreshing. Just as the Western Bibles and the Ancient Aramaic Scriptures can be reconciled, Judaism and Eastern Christianity can be reconciled, if only the Western churches would allow it by admitting the fact that the Ancient Aramaic is the original language of the Scriptures and that the Ancient Aramaic Scriptures did not all disappear.
*28:4 Lit. Aramaic: "Par-zoomah," "Pedatah" (sleaves), "Preessa," "chooteenah d'booça" (one piece garment), "m'ça-naptah," and "hemmeanah."
*28:14 Lit. Ar. id.: Or "over their chests."
*28:16 Lit. Ar. id.: "Make it four square."
*28:18 Lit. Aramaic names of precious stones retained.
*28:19 Lit. Aramaic names of precious stones retained.
*28:20 Lit. Aramaic names of precious stones retained.
*28:21 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Engraved as the engraving of signets."
*28:28.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Ring to ring."
*28:28.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Needlework of embroidery" or "needlework of sewing."
*28:28.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Spread."
*28:29.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Around his neck" or "the mantle upon his chest."
*28:29.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Sanctuary."
*28:29.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Ameneity," or "amen-ness."
*28:30 Lit. Ar. id.:"Lit and pacified."
*28:32.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "The mouth of its head."
*28:32.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And a lip shall it have to its mouth that circles."
*28:32.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Mouth."
*28:33 Lit. Ar. id.: "Hems."
*28:37 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And in front of the faces of the mitre shall it be."
*28:38.1 Lit. Ar. expression retained: "A constant reminder."
*28:38.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "A reprieve."
*28:38.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And it shall be that Aaron shall carry off the sins that holiness holified."
*28:39 Lit. Ar. id.: "A constant reminder," or "on his forehead."
*28:41 Lit. Ar. id.: "Sanctify."
*28:42.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Flesh."
*28:42.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "From their backs to their thighs let them be."
*28:43.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And they shall be upon Aaron and his sons."
*28:43.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "To serve the sanctified."
*28:43.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Receive the sin," or "be prone to err."
*28:43.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Forever."
*28:43.5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Offspring."
Exodus Index | Bible Index | E-Mail