1. And in those days, as the disciples increased, the Greek disciples complained against the Hebrew disciples, that their widows were neglected during the daily ministrations.
2. And the Twelve disciples called the congregation of all the disciples, and said to them, "It is not nice that we forgo the manifestation of God and perform the ceremonial Offering of bread.
3. "Thus, conscientiously*, brothers, choose seven men from yourselves, those that the testimony is upon them, and who are full of the Spirit of the Lord and wisdom, and put them in charge of this breach,
4. "And we will confirm [your efforts] through prayer and ministry of the Manifestation."
5. And this manifestation received approval* before all the people, and they chose Stephen, a man who was filled with faith and the holy Spirit, and Philip and Prochorus and Nicanor and Timon and Parmenas and Nicolas, hero of Antioch.
6. These stood before the apostles, and as they prayed, they laid hands over them.
7. And the Manifestation of God reigned supreme and the number of disciples in Jerusalem increased very well, and a great many people from the Jews listened to the faith.
8. Stephen then was filled with grace and power, and he performed signs and wonders among the people.
9. And there rose certain people from the synagogue, referred to as the Freedmen*, Cyrenians and Alexandrians and from Cilicia and Asia, and they argued with Stephen,
10. And they could not stand against the wisdom and the Spirit that spoke through him.
11. And then they sent men and they taught them to say, that we heard him say blasphemous words about Moses and about God.
12. And they stirred up the people and the priests and the scribes, and they came and opposed him, and seizing him, they brought him to the middle of the crowd,
13. And they presented false witnesses who said, "This man does not rest from speaking words against the Law and against this sacred country.
14. "For we heard him say, that it was this Nazarene Jesus who freed* this country, and changed the feasts that Moses observed."
15. And all those who sat in the synagogue stared at him, and they saw his face like the face of an angel.
Acts 7 || index page
*6:3.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "With awe."
*6:5 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Appeared beautiful."
*6:9 Lit. Aramaic: "Loebertino."
*6:14 Lit. Ar. id.: "Released."